Calculating EDTA Titration Volume for CoSO4 Solution

In summary, a solution contains 1.694mg of CoSO4 per mL. To titrate a 25mL aliquot of this solution, you would need 0.08640 M EDTA.
LakeMountD

Homework Statement

A solution contains 1.694mg of CoSO4 (155.0 g/mol) per mL. Calculate the volume of 0.08640 M EDTA needed to titrate a 25 mL aliquot of this solution.

Homework Equations

Not really sure, the book is no help but this may help:

K(CoSO4) = [CoSO4] / ([CO2+] [SO42-])
K'CoSO4 = alpha4 * KCoSO4

The Attempt at a Solution

My book is absolutely horrible which is why I had to come to the forums for help but I am assuming I find the mol. of CoSO4, which was 2.73 x 10^-4 then assume that [CoSO4] ~= 4.37x10^-4

I think you use K'CoSO4 = alpha4 * KCoSO4, but again I can't figure it out :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay I think I might have figured it out. Get moles of CoSO4, then multiply that by the molar ratio of EDTA to CoSO4 then multiply by the concentration of EDTA?

Superficially, best guess is that this should be a fairly uncomplicated 1 to 1 mole titration of the EDTA specie to the Co specie. If that "alpha" stuff is important in the exercise, then the superficial idea is not enough, and that some pH control might be needed. If you have the time, check an alternative quantitative book and ask your teacher.

symbolipoint said:
Superficially, best guess is that this should be a fairly uncomplicated 1 to 1 mole titration of the EDTA specie to the Co specie. If that "alpha" stuff is important in the exercise, then the superficial idea is not enough, and that some pH control might be needed. If you have the time, check an alternative quantitative book and ask your teacher.

Yeah that is the problem I am having. How do I know what the molar ratio of EDTA to any metal is? The book doesn't explain it in the examples, it just throws the ratio in there. It gives a 1:1 ratio to EDTA:Mg(NO2)2 but not sure about the others.

Thanks.

How do I know 1:1 ? Habit! Not remember exactly how. Just assume 1:1 mole ratio. The EDTA is not just a ligand; it is a CHELATOR. One EDTA will coordinate bond with one metal ion. (mole-wise, that is)

1. What is EDTA titration volume problem?

EDTA titration volume problem is a common analytical chemistry technique used to determine the concentration of metal ions in a solution. It involves the use of a chelating agent called ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) to form a complex with metal ions, and the volume of EDTA required to completely bind all the metal ions is used to calculate the concentration of the metal ions in the solution.

2. How do you perform EDTA titration volume problem?

To perform EDTA titration volume problem, you will need a burette, a standard solution of EDTA, an indicator (such as Eriochrome Black T), and the solution containing the metal ions you want to analyze. First, add a few drops of the indicator to the solution and titrate it with the EDTA solution until the color changes, indicating that all the metal ions have been complexed. Then, use the volume of EDTA solution used to calculate the concentration of the metal ions in the solution.

3. What is the purpose of using an indicator in EDTA titration volume problem?

An indicator is used in EDTA titration volume problem to visually determine when all the metal ions have been complexed with the EDTA. The indicator changes color when the metal ions are completely bound, allowing for an accurate measurement of the volume of EDTA used in the titration. This helps to increase the precision and accuracy of the analysis.

4. What are the sources of error in EDTA titration volume problem?

There are several sources of error in EDTA titration volume problem, including inaccurate measurements of the volume of EDTA solution used, presence of impurities in the sample solution, and incorrect preparation of the sample solution. Additionally, the use of an incorrect indicator or improper handling of the burette can also contribute to errors in the analysis.

5. What are the applications of EDTA titration volume problem?

EDTA titration volume problem is commonly used in various industries, such as pharmaceutical, food and beverage, and environmental, to determine the concentration of metal ions in a solution. It is also used in scientific research to study the binding properties of metal ions and to analyze the composition of unknown samples. Additionally, EDTA titration volume problem is an important technique in clinical chemistry for measuring the concentration of metal ions in biological fluids.