Solving for c: Is it Always Possible?

• Thread starter dirk_mec1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a bound for the function f(x) in terms of its derivative, using the definition of f'(x) and the absolute value of the integral of f'(x). The conversation also touches on the concept of Banach spaces and their properties in relation to derivatives.
dirk_mec1
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The point to c being a constant is that it's independent of f, right? Try and read the question eliminating the 'norm' words. You have a function f(x) that has a bounded derivative on [0,1] and f(0)=0. Can you get a bound for f(x) in terms of the bound on the derivative?

Dick said:
The point to c being a constant is that it's independent of f, right?
Yes, you're right!

Try and read the question eliminating the 'norm' words. You have a function f(x) that has a bounded derivative on [0,1] and f(0)=0. Can you get a bound for f(x) in terms of the bound on the derivative?

Well I know that:

[tex]f'(x)= \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h} [/tex]

But I don't see how that is going to help...

If you are studying Banach spaces, you must know more about derivatives than just the definition. If you know f'(x) how can you find f(x)?

Dick said:
If you are studying Banach spaces, you must know more about derivatives than just the definition. If you know f'(x) how can you find f(x)?

[tex]f(x) = \int_0^x f'(t)\ \mbox{d}t [/tex]

I carefully looked two times in my notes from my instructor and I can't find anything that relates f to f' (in context of Banach spaces). Can you give please me another hint, Dick?

Last edited:
dirk_mec1 said:
[tex]f(x) = \int_0^x f'(t)\ \mbox{d}t [/tex]
Take the absolute value of both sides of this, and then work from there.

Do you mean like this?

[tex]|f(x)| = |\int_0^x f'(t)\ \mbox{d}t| \leq \int_0^x |f'(t)|\ \mbox{d}t \leq \int_0^x |f'(t)|_{\infty} \ \mbox{d}t \leq \int_0^1 M \mbox{d}t = M
[/tex]

Is this correct?

dirk_mec1 said:
Do you mean like this?

[tex]|f(x)| = |\int_0^x f'(t)\ \mbox{d}t| \leq \int_0^x |f'(t)|\ \mbox{d}t \leq \int_0^x |f'(t)|_{\infty} \ \mbox{d}t \leq \int_0^1 M \mbox{d}t = M
[/tex]

Is this correct?

That's what I've been waiting for.

What is the meaning of "solving for c"?

Solving for c refers to finding the value of the variable "c" in an equation or mathematical problem. It is a common practice in mathematics and science to solve for a specific variable in order to find a solution or understand the relationship between different variables.

Is it always possible to solve for c?

No, it is not always possible to solve for c. In some cases, the equation or problem may have multiple solutions or no solution at all. It depends on the complexity of the problem and the given information. However, in many cases, it is possible to solve for c by using different mathematical techniques or by rearranging the equation.

What are some common methods used to solve for c?

Some common methods used to solve for c include substitution, elimination, graphing, and using algebraic properties such as the distributive property or combining like terms. The method used will depend on the type of equation or problem and the given information.

Can you give an example of solving for c?

Sure, let's say we have the equation 3c + 9 = 24. To solve for c, we can use the algebraic property of subtraction to isolate the variable c on one side of the equation. First, we subtract 9 from both sides of the equation, which gives us 3c = 15. Then, we divide both sides by 3 to get the value of c, which is 5. So, in this case, we have successfully solved for c.

How does solving for c relate to real-life situations?

Solving for c is a fundamental skill in mathematics and science that can be applied to various real-life situations. For example, engineers use it to design structures and machines, economists use it to analyze market trends, and chemists use it to calculate chemical reactions. In everyday life, solving for c can also help with budgeting, planning, and problem-solving.