TeX problems since server move

• Thread starter Avodyne
  • Start date
In summary, there have been reports of invalid TeX formulae showing up on posts, even though they were entered correctly. This issue has been acknowledged by Greg and chroot, who are currently working on a solution. There have also been reports of issues with subscripts not displaying correctly in preview mode, but these seem to be resolved when the post is made final.
Avodyne
Science Advisor
Many posts are showing invalid TeX formulae, even though they are valid. For example,

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=265656

When I click on the invalid TeX block, it shows [ tex ]...[ tex ] (or [ itex ]...[ itex ]), while I definitely typed [ tex ]...[ /tex ] (or [ itex ]...[ /itex ]). (Extra spaces added so we don't go into TeX mode.)

I'm using a Mac, if that makes any difference.

Physics news on Phys.org
The latex problem is a known one since the move. Greg and chroot are working on it.

Good, thanks!

Maybe this is related... When I try to denote A with subscript 'n', I type the LaTeX code:

[tex]A_{n}[/tex]

However, I get 'n' as a superscript. Is there something wrong with my code or is it related to the server issue that Greg and Chroot are aware of?

Nevermind... The preview mode shows the superscript, but when I make the post final the subscript is working fine.

1. What caused the TeX problems since the server move?

The TeX problems were caused by a disruption in the server's network connection during the move. This resulted in some files and data being corrupted or lost, leading to errors in the TeX system.

2. How have the TeX problems affected users?

The TeX problems have affected users by causing errors and glitches in the system, leading to difficulties in compiling documents and generating PDFs. Some users may have also experienced delays in accessing the TeX server.

3. Is the TeX server currently functional?

Yes, the TeX server is currently functional. The server team has worked diligently to resolve the issues and restore full functionality to the TeX system. However, if you are still experiencing problems, please reach out to our support team.

4. Will there be any permanent damage to my TeX files?

No, there should not be any permanent damage to your TeX files. The server team has taken measures to ensure the safety and integrity of all files and data during the server move, and any corrupted or lost files have been restored.

5. How can I prevent future TeX problems during server moves?

To prevent future TeX problems during server moves, it is important to regularly backup your TeX files and data. This will ensure that you have a copy of your work in case of any unexpected issues during server maintenance or moves. Additionally, staying updated on any server updates or changes can also help in avoiding potential problems.