How Fast Are Proton and Antiproton Moving Towards Each Other?

In summary, the proton and antiproton are moving towards each other with a speed of 0.8c with respect to the collision point. Using the Einstein velocity addition formula, the speed of the antiproton in the proton's frame of reference is calculated to be 0.976c. The assumption that the proton is stationary and the collision point moves towards it at 0.8c is correct.
beecher

Homework Statement

A proton and an antiproton are moving toward each other in a head-on collision. If each has a speed of 0.8c with respect to the collision point, how fast are they moving with respect to each other?

Homework Equations

Ux = [U'x + V] / [1 + (v/c^2) Ux']

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I have solved it correctly, but I am unsure of one assumption which I made, and want to make sure that it is alright. Instead of looking at it as the collision point being stationary, and the proton moving towards it at 0.8c, I assume that the proton is stationary, and the collision point moves towards it at 0.8c. Then the anti-proton moves towards the collision point at 0.8c as measured in the frame of the collision point.
This gives me Ux = the speed of the antiproton in the proton frame
Ux' = the speed of the anti-proton in the collision point frame (0.8c)
V = Speed of collision point in the proton frame (0.8c)

Thus, Ux = [0.8c + 0.8c] / [1 + (0.8c/c^2) 0.8c] = 1.6c / 1.64 = 0.976c

Does this look correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
beecher said:
I believe I have solved it correctly, but I am unsure of one assumption which I made, and want to make sure that it is alright. Instead of looking at it as the collision point being stationary, and the proton moving towards it at 0.8c, I assume that the proton is stationary, and the collision point moves towards it at 0.8c. Then the anti-proton moves towards the collision point at 0.8c as measured in the frame of the collision point.
This gives me Ux = the speed of the antiproton in the proton frame
Ux' = the speed of the anti-proton in the collision point frame (0.8c)
V = Speed of collision point in the proton frame (0.8c)

Thus, Ux = [0.8c + 0.8c] / [1 + (0.8c/c^2) 0.8c] = 1.6c / 1.64 = 0.976c

Does this look correct?
Rather than thinking of the collision point, think of the centre of mass frame of reference (the frame in which the velocities are initially measured). You wish to determine the velocity of the anti-proton in the proton's frame of reference. To do this, you apply the Einstein velocity addition to translate the velocity of the anti-proton in the centre of mass frame to the proton frame, which you have done correctly.

AM

Thanks for the confirmation

1. What is relative velocity addition?

Relative velocity addition is a concept in physics that describes how velocities appear to change when observed from different reference frames. It is used to calculate the velocity of an object relative to a different moving reference frame.

2. How is relative velocity addition calculated?

Relative velocity addition is calculated using vector addition. This means that the velocities are represented by vectors and are added using the rules of vector addition. The resulting vector represents the relative velocity between the two frames of reference.

3. How does relative velocity addition differ from regular velocity addition?

Relative velocity addition takes into account the velocities of both reference frames, while regular velocity addition only considers the velocity of the moving object. Relative velocity addition also takes into account the direction and angle of observation between the two frames.

4. Is relative velocity addition affected by the speed of light?

Yes, relative velocity addition is affected by the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. Therefore, the relative velocity between two frames of reference cannot exceed the speed of light.

5. What are some practical applications of relative velocity addition?

Relative velocity addition is used in various fields such as astronomy, navigation, and aviation. It helps calculate the position and trajectory of celestial bodies, and is also used in GPS systems to accurately determine the location of a moving object. In aviation, it is used to calculate the relative velocity of an aircraft in relation to the ground or other aircraft.