Calorimetry problem (been stuck for an hour or so)

In summary, the problem involves finding the original volume of water in a calorimeter based on the data given, which includes a 25.0g ice cube at its melting point being added to water at 25.4ºC, with a final temperature of 15.0ºC once thermal equilibrium is reached. This requires taking into account the heat of fusion for the ice and the change in temperature for the water. Based on these considerations, the correct answer for the original volume of water in the calorimeter is not given in the options provided (A. 93.4mL, B. 136mL, C. 209mL, D. 228mL).
calrimetryftl
A 25.0g ice cube at its melting point is added to a calorimeter water at 25.4ºC. When thermal equilibrium is reached, the final temperature of the mixture is at 15.0ºC. The original volume of water in the calorimeter was?
This is all the data given.
A. 93.4mL
B. 136mL
C. 209mL
D. 228mL

I used the mcΔt = mcΔt formula, but the answer didn't seem to match the options given in my assignment.

I've been trying to figure this out for more than an hour now...please someone help, if I am using the wrong formula correct me.

Physics news on Phys.org
you have probably forgotten to incorporate phase change of the ice

How would I do that? sorry I'm a little lost :cry:

no prob.

when you put ice in water, the ice absorbs heat from its surroundings to change from a solid to a liquid. that change is mΔH where ΔH is the heat of fusion (and can be looked up in a table).

so while the water releases heat at mcΔT because there is a temperature change, the ice absorbs the heat the water released, does not change temperature, but instead changes phase. make sense?

oh and don't forget you still have to account for the change in temperature of that now 25g of water up to 15 C, so you have both melting and heating on one side and cooling on the other side of the equation.

What is calorimetry and why is it important in science?

Calorimetry is a branch of science that deals with the measurement of heat and energy changes in chemical reactions or physical processes. It is important in science because it allows us to understand and predict how energy is transferred and used in various systems.

How do you solve a calorimetry problem?

To solve a calorimetry problem, you need to follow these steps:

• Determine the initial temperature and mass of the substances involved.
  • Calculate the heat absorbed or released by each substance using the specific heat capacity formula.
  • Use the law of conservation of energy to equate the heat lost by one substance to the heat gained by the other.
  • Solve for the final temperature.

What is the specific heat capacity and how is it calculated?

The specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is calculated using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat absorbed or released, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What are some common sources of error in a calorimetry experiment?

Some common sources of error in a calorimetry experiment include:

• Heat loss to the surroundings, which can be minimized by using a well-insulated calorimeter.
  • Incomplete combustion of fuels, which can lead to inaccurate heat measurements.
  • Inaccurate measurement of initial and final temperatures.
  • Uncertainties in the specific heat capacity values used.

How is calorimetry used in real-life situations?

Calorimetry is used in various real-life situations, such as:

• Determining the caloric content of food items for nutritional purposes.
  • Measuring the energy released by fuels for energy efficiency and environmental impact assessments.
  • Studying the heat transfer in chemical reactions for industrial applications.
  • Monitoring body heat loss or gain in medical settings.