Dielectric Strength: Safe to Use Across 240v/415v Terminals?

In summary, Dielectric Strength is the point at which a compound breaks down under electrical load. An RTV compound with a Dielectric Strength of approximately 500 volts/mm is safe to use across 240v or 415v terminals that are 3-5mm apart. However, for larger gaps, the breakdown voltage may be lower than 500 volts/mm. It is always best to test at higher voltages for safety. Additionally, some RTV compounds may not cure properly if they come in contact with moist air and the Dielectric Strength for uncured RTV is unknown.
Futsal1st
I understand that Dielectric Strength relates to the point where a compound breaks down under electrical load. Please correct me if I have it wrong.

I want to now if an RTV compound (with Dielectric Strength of approx 500 volts/mm) is safe to use across 240v or 415v terminals that are 3-5mm apart.

Do i understand it that if one applies 500v and the RTV gap is 1mm that it would break down and conduct. Lower voltage or larger gap and it would not conduct and therefore be safe?

Very much appreciate any feedback.

Engineering news on Phys.org
500 volt/mm is for a specific gap.
Larger gaps will have much lower breakdown voltages than 500 volt/mm.
500 volt/mm is used mainly to compare the breakdown voltage for diferent materials.

Should be safe, however where safety is concerned, it is best to test at much higher voltage. Maybe 10 times operating voltage.

Word of caution:
Some RTV's cure with contact to moist air.
A large fill may not cure.
I have no idea what Dielectric strength for uncured RTV is.

Thanks for the reply.

1. What is dielectric strength?

Dielectric strength is a measure of the maximum voltage that a material can withstand before it breaks down and becomes electrically conductive.

2. How is dielectric strength measured?

Dielectric strength is measured by applying an increasing voltage to the material until it breaks down. This is typically done using a high voltage source and a measuring device such as a voltmeter or oscilloscope.

3. Why is dielectric strength important for safety?

Dielectric strength is important for safety because it determines the maximum voltage that can be safely applied to materials without causing an electrical breakdown. This is particularly important when working with high voltage systems, as a breakdown can lead to dangerous electrical shocks or equipment damage.

4. Can dielectric strength vary between materials?

Yes, dielectric strength can vary between materials. Some materials, such as rubber and glass, have high dielectric strength and are commonly used as insulators. Other materials, such as air and water, have lower dielectric strength and are not as effective at insulating against high voltage.

5. Is it safe to use materials with a lower dielectric strength across 240v/415v terminals?

No, it is not safe to use materials with a lower dielectric strength across 240v/415v terminals. These terminals carry high voltage electricity and require materials with a high dielectric strength to prevent electrical breakdown and potential hazards. It is important to always use materials with the appropriate dielectric strength for the voltage being used.

Back