Solving Iron Metal Production in a Blast Furnace

In summary, the production of iron metal in a blast furnace involves a complex series of reactions that reduce iron(III) oxide with carbon monoxide. The balanced overall equation is Fe2O3(s) + 3 CO(g) → 2 Fe(s) + 3 CO2(g). Using the given equations, the ∆H of rxn for the overall equation can be calculated as -16.17 kJ. Multiplying the equations to eliminate fractions, we get 2Fe2O3(s) + 6 CO(g) → 4 Fe(s) + 6 CO2(g) with a ∆H of -96.5 kJ.
devon10
I have a problem I can't seem to solve. here it is and here is what I have gotten.

Iron metal is produced in a blast furnace through a complex series of reactions the involve reduction of iron(III) oxide with carbon monoxide

a. Write a balanced overall equation for the process, including the other product.

Fe2O3(s) + 3 CO(g) → 2 Fe(s) + 3 CO2(g)

b. Use the equations below the calculate ∆H of rxn for the overall equation:

3Fe2O3(s) + CO(g) → Fe3O4(s) + CO2(g) ∆Ho = -48.5 kJ

Fe(s) + CO2(g) → FeO(s) + CO(g) ∆Ho = -11.0 kJ

Fe3O4(s) + CO(g) → 3FeO(s) + CO2(g) ∆Ho = 22.0 kJ

This what I come up with, i get 2/3 Fe3O4 on one side and 1/3 Fe3O4 on the other side giving me a 1/3 of Fe3O4 that dose not cancel each other out.

Fe2O3(s) + 3 CO(g) → 2 Fe(s) + 3 CO2(g) ∆H= ?
Fe2O3(s) + 1/3CO(g) → 1/3Fe3O4(s) + 1/3CO2(g) ∆Ho = -16.17kJ
2FeO(s) + 2CO(g) → 2 Fe(s) + 2CO2(g) ∆Ho = +22.0 kJ
2/3Fe3O4(s) + 2/3CO(g) → 2FeO(s) + 2/3CO2(g) ∆Ho = +14.67 kJ

Physics news on Phys.org
devon10 said:
I have a problem I can't seem to solve. here it is and here is what I have gotten.

Iron metal is produced in a blast furnace through a complex series of reactions the involve reduction of iron(III) oxide with carbon monoxide

a. Write a balanced overall equation for the process, including the other product.

Fe2O3(s) + 3 CO(g) → 2 Fe(s) + 3 CO2(g)

b. Use the equations below the calculate ∆H of rxn for the overall equation:

3Fe2O3(s) + CO(g) → Fe3O4(s) + CO2(g) ∆Ho = -48.5 kJ

Fe(s) + CO2(g) → FeO(s) + CO(g) ∆Ho = -11.0 kJ

Fe3O4(s) + CO(g) → 3FeO(s) + CO2(g) ∆Ho = 22.0 kJ

This what I come up with, i get 2/3 Fe3O4 on one side and 1/3 Fe3O4 on the other side giving me a 1/3 of Fe3O4 that dose not cancel each other out.

Fe2O3(s) + 3 CO(g) → 2 Fe(s) + 3 CO2(g) ∆H= ?
Fe2O3(s) + 1/3CO(g) → 1/3Fe3O4(s) + 1/3CO2(g) ∆Ho = -16.17kJ
2FeO(s) + 2CO(g) → 2 Fe(s) + 2CO2(g) ∆Ho = +22.0 kJ
2/3Fe3O4(s) + 2/3CO(g) → 2FeO(s) + 2/3CO2(g) ∆Ho = +14.67 kJ

You don't really need 4 equations, just stick with those you got. Try again using the three equations given to you. When you have done it is like you say Fe3O4 is not going to cancel each other out but remember that is ok to multiply a equation with a number. It is easier when you avoid fractions.

c. ∆H of rxn for the overall equation = -16.17 kJ + 22.0 kJ + 14.67 kJ = 19.5 kJ

Thank you for sharing your problem and your work so far. It seems like you have a good understanding of the reactions involved in iron metal production in a blast furnace. To address your concern about the 1/3 Fe3O4 that does not cancel out, it is important to remember that these equations are not balanced in terms of the amount of reactants and products. The coefficients in the balanced equation represent the moles of each substance involved, not the actual amount. So, in the end, all of the Fe3O4 will be used up in the reaction and the overall equation will still be balanced.

As for calculating the ∆H of the overall reaction, your approach is correct. However, I would suggest using the coefficients from the overall balanced equation to determine the appropriate coefficients for the individual reactions. This way, you will not end up with fractions in your calculations. The overall equation is already balanced to show the correct mole ratios.

∆H of rxn for the overall equation = 3∆Ho1 + ∆Ho2 + 3∆Ho3
= 3(-48.5 kJ) + (-11.0 kJ) + 3(22.0 kJ)
= -145.5 kJ + (-11.0 kJ) + 66.0 kJ
= -90.5 kJ

This means that the overall reaction is exothermic, with a ∆H of -90.5 kJ. This information can be useful in optimizing the blast furnace process for iron metal production. I hope this helps you in solving your problem. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the process of iron metal production in a blast furnace?

The process of iron metal production in a blast furnace involves the reduction of iron ore into iron metal using a combination of heat and carbon monoxide gas. Iron ore, along with coke and limestone, are added to the top of the furnace and heated to extreme temperatures. The coke acts as a fuel source and the limestone helps to remove impurities. As the materials move down through the furnace, the iron ore is reduced into molten iron, which is then collected at the bottom of the furnace.

2. What is the purpose of using a blast furnace for iron metal production?

The blast furnace is used for iron metal production because it allows for the efficient and large-scale production of iron. The high temperatures and controlled environment of the furnace allow for the reduction of iron ore into iron metal in a relatively short amount of time. The furnace also allows for the removal of impurities, resulting in a purer form of iron.

3. What are the main challenges in solving iron metal production in a blast furnace?

The main challenges in solving iron metal production in a blast furnace include maintaining consistent and high temperatures, controlling the flow of materials through the furnace, and managing the chemical reactions and byproducts that occur during the process. Additionally, the environmental impact of the process, such as air pollution, must also be addressed.

4. How can the efficiency of iron metal production in a blast furnace be improved?

Efficiency can be improved through various methods, such as using alternative fuels or implementing new technologies. One example is the use of pulverized coal injection, where coal is injected into the furnace instead of coke, resulting in a more efficient use of resources. Additionally, recycling and reusing byproducts, such as slag and gas, can also contribute to improved efficiency.

5. What are the potential environmental impacts of iron metal production in a blast furnace?

The environmental impacts of iron metal production in a blast furnace include air pollution from the release of carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, and other gases. The production of iron also requires large amounts of energy, which can contribute to greenhouse gas emissions. The disposal of byproducts, such as slag and dust, also poses potential environmental challenges. However, these impacts can be mitigated through the use of cleaner technologies and proper waste management practices.