Exploring the Origins of Work and Energy: A Historical Perspective

• Thread starter pgardn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, people were observing that an initial amount of kinetic energy led to differing amounts of "work done" and that this makes sense if "work done" means force times distance.
pgardn
I have been trying to figure out historically how Force applied over a distance was found to be a conceptual breakthrough. I know about Joule and some others, and their thoughts on the idea of energy. But I cannot find out who or what people actually came up with the notion that Force applied over a distance was such a useful concept. Did Newton say anything about this idea being meaningful? I am looking for the historically origins of this idea and I can't find out much as far as the math goes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely by the time of Helmholtz, there was an understanding that force times distance caused a change in energy.

What actually happened (as I understand it) was that kinetic energy was the first real breakthrough. In particular, Leibiz defined "vis viva" for an object of mass m and speed v as mv^2 (without the 1/2). Leibniz said that vis viva was conserved and even postulated that friction was caused by the spreading of vis viva to random other stuff.

It was observed by those working with heat engines etc (like Joule) that an initial amount of vis viva led to differing amounts of "work done" and I guess they found that this makes since if "work done" means force times distance.

By the was this is a little speculative, so don't trust me too much.

Ja4Coltrane said:
Definitely by the time of Helmholtz, there was an understanding that force times distance caused a change in energy.

What actually happened (as I understand it) was that kinetic energy was the first real breakthrough. In particular, Leibiz defined "vis viva" for an object of mass m and speed v as mv^2 (without the 1/2). Leibniz said that vis viva was conserved and even postulated that friction was caused by the spreading of vis viva to random other stuff.

It was observed by those working with heat engines etc (like Joule) that an initial amount of vis viva led to differing amounts of "work done" and I guess they found that this makes since if "work done" means force times distance.

By the was this is a little speculative, so don't trust me too much.

I had read about this. And a bunch of other people but it was sort of rag-tag. I was trying to find out if anyone had actually thought about Leibniz mv^2 and put that together with what Newton had already gathered. I can't find anything clear from one person, so it might be just the usual science, a whole bunch of people contributing different parts. Not like Maxwell putting it all together or Newton in a clean mathematical way.

What is the concept of work and energy?

The concept of work and energy is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the ability of a force to do work on an object. Work is defined as the transfer of energy that occurs when a force is applied to an object and the object moves in the direction of the force. Energy, on the other hand, is the ability to do work and can exist in different forms such as kinetic, potential, thermal, or chemical.

How do work and energy relate to each other?

Work and energy are closely related concepts in physics. The amount of work done on an object is equal to the change in its energy. This means that when work is done on an object, its energy either increases or decreases, depending on the direction of the force applied. In other words, work is a means of transferring energy from one object to another.

What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position. Kinetic energy is dependent on an object's mass and velocity, while potential energy is dependent on an object's position or height relative to a reference point. Both forms of energy are important in understanding the concept of work and energy.

How is the concept of work and energy applied in real-world situations?

The concept of work and energy has numerous applications in everyday life and various fields of science and engineering. For example, understanding the work-energy principle is crucial in designing machines and structures that are efficient and safe. It is also used to calculate the energy needed to perform physical tasks, such as lifting objects or running. In addition, the conservation of energy principle is used to analyze the motion of objects in systems with multiple forms of energy.

What are the units of work and energy?

The SI unit of work and energy is the joule (J). However, other commonly used units include the calorie, the kilowatt-hour, and the foot-pound. The unit of work and energy is equivalent to the unit of force (newton) multiplied by the unit of distance (meter). This means that work and energy have the same units as force times distance, or mass times velocity squared.