Find vector parallel to yz plane and perpendicular to other given vector

In summary, Raziel2701 found a vector u that is parallel to the yz-plane and perpendicular to the vector v=<5,0,4>. However, he gets confused on when the two vectors are actually perpendicular. He solves the equation for u and gets an angle of 45 degrees.
Raziel2701

Homework Statement

Find a vector u that is parallel to the yz-plane and perpendicular to the vector v=<5,0,4>.

2. The attempt at a solution

I first tried to find a unit vector parallel to the yz-plane, I then crossed this vector with vector v, but then I remembered that the resulting vector would be perpendicular to both, so that wouldn't work.

Let me be more precise:

1. I found a unit vector to (0,1,1)

I got (0,1/sqrt(2), 1/sqrt(2))

2. I was going to cross this vector with v (5,0,4) but then I realized that the resulting vector would be perpendicular both the yz plane and vector v so I didn't follow through.

So then :

1. I crossed u(a,b,c) with the yz plane (0,1,1) and got:
(b-c)i -(a)j +(a)k and set it equal to zero because I want them to be parallel.

Clarifying that I'm using a,b, and c as my unknowns.

2.I tried dotting this vector I found with vector v(5,0,4) and I set them equal to zero but now I have an equation with three unknowns but I don't know how to solve them.

Here's what I got:

5b-5c +4a=0

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Raziel2701! :wink:
Raziel2701 said:
Find a vector u that is parallel to the yz-plane and perpendicular to the vector v=<5,0,4>.

oooh, you're making this so complicated :cry:

forget cross products, forget unit vectors …

what's a typical vector parallel to the yz-plane? …

now when is it perpendicular to <5,0,4> ? :smile:

I don't think I'm following. Apparently any vector of the form <0,y,z,> as long as y and z are equal should be parallel to the yz plane correct?

So if that is right then that I get, but as to when it is perpendicular to vector <5,0,4>, I honestly don't know. I'm rather stubborn about using the dot product to find what those vector components would be, but I can't get the right answer yet.

Any further hints would be great.

Raziel2701 said:
I don't think I'm following. Apparently any vector of the form <0,y,z,> as long as y and z are equal should be parallel to the yz plane correct?

No, you are following, you just think you aren't. :biggrin:

Yes, any (0,b,c) will do it. :smile:
So if that is right then that I get, but as to when it is perpendicular to vector <5,0,4>, I honestly don't know. I'm rather stubborn about using the dot product to find what those vector components would be, but I can't get the right answer yet.

Why this aversion to the dot product … it's much simpler than the cross product anyway! :smile:

So, what is (0,b,c).(5,0,4) ? And what does it need to be? :wink:

Ok, so I got a valid answer, but there's still something that seems wrong.

So I got <0,2,0> for my answer, the middle component can be any number apparently, and this vector is indeed perpendicular with the vector <5,0,4> but unless my math is wrong, the dot product of my answer and <0,1,1> does not give me an angle of zero to indicate that the two vectors are parallel but rather, I get an angle of 45 degrees.

So what's up with that?

And thank you for your help, I like the puzzling, yet helpful advice rather than straight out giving me an answer and an explanation.

Yes, <0,b,0> for any value of b will do.

It lies in the yz-plane, and it's perpendicular to <5,0,4> because the dot product is 5*0 + 0*b + 4*0.

(0,1,1) is a vector you invented in your first post … i did say to forget it! :wink:

ok, now just go back to your fist post and check why you didn't need a unit vector, and why the cross product wouldn't work …

you can use cross product to make a new vector perpendicular to a given vector, but not to check that two given vectors are perpendicular … for that, you need the dot product. :smile:

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of its magnitude, and the length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector.

2. How do you find a vector parallel to the yz plane?

To find a vector parallel to the yz plane, you can simply set the x component of the vector to 0. This means that the vector will have no magnitude in the x direction and will lie completely in the yz plane.

3. How do you determine if a vector is perpendicular to another vector?

Two vectors are perpendicular if their dot product is equal to 0. This means that the angle between the two vectors is 90 degrees. To check if a given vector is perpendicular to another, you can calculate their dot product and if it equals 0, then they are perpendicular.

4. Can there be more than one vector parallel to the yz plane?

Yes, there can be an infinite number of vectors parallel to the yz plane. As long as the x component is 0, the vector will be parallel to the yz plane. The magnitude and direction of the vector can vary, resulting in different parallel vectors.

5. How is finding a vector parallel to the yz plane useful?

Knowing a vector parallel to the yz plane can be useful in many applications, such as in 3D geometry, physics, and computer graphics. It can help determine the direction of a force or movement in the yz plane and can be used in coordinate transformations and calculations.