First & Second derivative of a function

In summary, the function Sh(t) = 30[cos(16.04*)]t models the horizontal position of a pellet with respect to time. The first derivative of this function is 16.04*30*(-sin16.04t) and the second derivative is 16.04^2*30*(-cos16.04t). These derivatives can be found by using the limit definition of derivatives and applying the rules for differentiating trigonometric functions.
Agent M27

Homework Statement

The function Sh(t) = 30[cos(16.04*)]t models the horizantal position of a pellet with respect to time.

Find the first & second derivatives of Sh(t).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attached a word document because I lack the ability to put together a correctly formatted latex doc in my post. I apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you in advance.

Joe

Attachments

• Derivative question.doc
    58.5 KB · Views: 259
Physics news on Phys.org
Sh(t) = 30[cos(16.04*)]t
1st derivative 30cos(16.04)
2nd 0
If the t is in the cos function, then
1st 16.04*30*(-sin16.04t)
2nd 16.04^2*30*(-cos16.04t)

The first term in the numerator of your limit should be [itex]30(\cos 16.04^\circ)(t+\Delta t)[/itex], so [itex]\Delta t[/itex] gets multiplied by the constant.

I didn't download the paper. I just responded to what the derivatices would be based on what is giving. You need to do the limit definition to obtain the derivatives?

So for my first derivative I get to an answer of delta t/delta t, which I'm sure isn't correct. Are there some rules for differentiating when trig functions are involved that differs from a function say f(x)=x^3 ? Also I posted this question incorrectly as I was going off memory the first time. In the real problem there is no limit written next to the function, does this change things at all? I figured that equation without a limit is just the slope of a secant line. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Last edited:

I figured it out. I was missing some rules for derivatives such as f(x)= a constant * a variable, then f'(x) =the constant. Another one was f'(x) of a constant =0. This is of course what Dustin was trying to tell me, I just couldn't put it together from that context. Thanks for your help gentlemen.

Joe

1. What is the first derivative of a function?

The first derivative of a function is the rate of change of the function at any given point. It represents the slope of the tangent line at that point and can be calculated by finding the limit of the difference quotient as the interval approaches 0.

2. How is the second derivative of a function related to the first derivative?

The second derivative of a function is the derivative of the first derivative. It represents the rate of change of the slope of the tangent line at a given point on the function. In other words, it shows how quickly the slope of the function is changing at that point.

3. What is the purpose of finding the first and second derivatives of a function?

Finding the derivatives of a function allows us to analyze the behavior of the function and make predictions about its future values. It can help us identify the maximum and minimum points, the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing, and the concavity of the function.

4. How can the first and second derivatives be used to find critical points?

Critical points are points on a function where the derivative is equal to 0 or does not exist. By finding the first derivative and setting it equal to 0, we can solve for x to find the x-coordinate of the critical point. Then, by plugging in that value into the second derivative, we can determine if the critical point is a maximum, minimum, or inflection point.

5. Are there any other applications of the first and second derivatives besides finding critical points?

Yes, the first and second derivatives can also be used to find the velocity and acceleration of an object's motion, respectively. They are also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function, and in curve sketching to determine the shape of a function's graph.