It is Fun to be a Mechanical Engineer?

In summary, In summary, being a mechanical engineer is a great way to use your math and physics skills. You get to work on real problems that impact people's lives.
AlexES16
I only left 3 month to choose a career, i love physics and math in overall science and sci-fi.
So do you see a lot of physics and science in mechanical engineering? How useful is mechanical engineerng for society?.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have the rest of your life to chose and pursue a career. Don't think you are going to be locked down to something in the next three months.

But, yes being an engineer is fun. You get to solve problems, ther eis a degree of autonomy (depending where you work). And every machine you see has been designed at some level by an engineer.

Maths is a big one for engineering, although I tend to avoid it as much as possible.

My 3 points were going to be exactly the same as Chris's, I agree completely.

Go job shadow a few engineers. Do it.

I really like mechanical engineering. I enjoy CAD, analysis, critical thinking, building prototypes and testing. The autonomy is fantastic.

I don't like giving weekly presentations and having unrealistic milestone dates for R&D work.

Last edited:
jehake12 said:
Go job shadow a few engineers. Do it.

I really like mechanical engineering. I enjoy CAD, analysis, critical thinking, building prototypes and testing. The autonomy is fantastic.

I don't like giving weekly presentations and having unrealistic milestone dates for R&D work.

Do you get to see a lot of physics and math? Becouse i really like those.

xxChrisxx said:
You have the rest of your life to chose and pursue a career. Don't think you are going to be locked down to something in the next three months.

But, yes being an engineer is fun. You get to solve problems, ther eis a degree of autonomy (depending where you work). And every machine you see has been designed at some level by an engineer.

Maths is a big one for engineering, although I tend to avoid it as much as possible.

AlexES16 said:

You must be mental, maths isn't remotely fun. You can use as much maths as you like, certain jobs require more, others less.

It's all applied maths though, none of that pure maths rubbish.

xxChrisxx said:
You must be mental, maths isn't remotely fun. You can use as much maths as you like, certain jobs require more, others less.

What about Physics?¿

All of engineering is aplied maths and physics. That's the techincal side. If you say becomes a desgin engineer, you need the maths and physics for calculations but there is an element of creativity in your designs. So it's a nice blend of skills that you need.

xxChrisxx said:

I don't think that's a good statement or example to be telling this kid. Without that 'rubbish math' engineering doesn't move forward.

Cyrus said:
I don't think that's a good statement or example to be telling this kid. Without that 'rubbish math' engineering doesn't move forward.

It is obviously (or so I thought) a comment made in jest. I've already said you need a high level of maths to do engineering and it's an important part of design work.

I've mentioned in quite a few of these threads that I intensly dislike pure maths, and try to avoid maths as much as possible. It's just a tool I have to use, I have to be good at it but not becuase I like it.

The joke appears to have kind of backfired.

I just graduated as a mechanical engineering and I love it so far. You just have to make sure that you do more than just class work. I spent the last 4 years designing/building RC planes and other flying vehicles, and friends of mine built race cars. Class work can sometimes get a little repetitive and boring but working in a lab, building and testing things and solving real problems is a lot of fun.

Yes, it is fun being a mechanical engineer. For a year and a half so far I've really enjoyed my job. In my short experience I've had to find solutions to open ended tasks. You enjoy physics now, like myself you may find that you enjoy mechanics, dynamics, and elements of mechanical design which all involve physics. I really enjoy the fact that I get to contribute to creating something real. Some of my company's customers are well known and create products like gasoline and plastics that we all use every day, so this is valuable to society.

Turbodog said:
Yes, it is fun being a mechanical engineer. For a year and a half so far I've really enjoyed my job. In my short experience I've had to find solutions to open ended tasks. You enjoy physics now, like myself you may find that you enjoy mechanics, dynamics, and elements of mechanical design which all involve physics. I really enjoy the fact that I get to contribute to creating something real. Some of my company's customers are well known and create products like gasoline and plastics that we all use every day, so this is valuable to society.

Thanks a lot men.

Turbodog said:

When you are designing and all, are you able to use math and physics?

RandomGuy88 said:
I just graduated as a mechanical engineering and I love it so far. You just have to make sure that you do more than just class work. I spent the last 4 years designing/building RC planes and other flying vehicles, and friends of mine built race cars. Class work can sometimes get a little repetitive and boring but working in a lab, building and testing things and solving real problems is a lot of fun.

Yeah i would love to build things

xxChrisxx said:
All of engineering is aplied maths and physics. That's the techincal side. If you say becomes a desgin engineer, you need the maths and physics for calculations but there is an element of creativity in your designs. So it's a nice blend of skills that you need.

Thanks.

1. What are the job responsibilities of a mechanical engineer?

A mechanical engineer is responsible for designing, building, and testing mechanical devices and systems. They also analyze and solve problems related to these systems and collaborate with other engineers and professionals to ensure the successful implementation of projects.

2. Is a degree in mechanical engineering required to become a mechanical engineer?

Yes, a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field is typically required for entry-level positions in this field. Some employers may also prefer candidates with a master's degree for more advanced roles.

3. What skills are important for a successful career as a mechanical engineer?

Some important skills for a mechanical engineer include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, creativity, and excellent mathematical and technical abilities. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with others on projects.

4. What industries do mechanical engineers work in?

Mechanical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, aerospace, automotive, construction, and energy. They may also work in research and development, consulting, or government agencies.

5. What is the job outlook for mechanical engineers?

The job outlook for mechanical engineers is positive, with a projected growth of 4% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This growth is due to the demand for new and improved mechanical systems in various industries. However, competition for jobs may be strong, so gaining experience and staying current with technology and industry developments is important for career advancement.