Work done by force on a non-linear track.

In summary, to calculate the work done by a force between two points, you first need to find the arc length between the two points and then use that to calculate the work done.
Anza Power
We have a force which changes according to what point you're at, e.g: f=(4x²,3z-2y,2z), we need to calculate the work done by this force from point (0,0,0) to (2,1,3) on different curves

I don't want an answer I just want an explanation for how this is done, this is what I understand so far:

If we want to calculate the curve (a , a²/4 , 3a³/8), aren't we just supposed to put in the equations of the track as x y z in the force equation and do an integral for a from 0 to 2? or do we have to multiply it by the differential of the curve equation? that's the part I'm not getting...

f=(4x²,3z-2y,2z)
f=(4a² , 9a³/8-a²/2, 3a³/4)

I integrated that from a=0 to a=2 but it turned out wrong...

Also, if a force does the same amount of work on two different tracks, does that mean it's conservative for all tracks?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Anza Power! :smile:
Anza Power said:
We have a force which changes according to what point you're at, e.g: f=(4x²,3z-2y,2z), we need to calculate the work done by this force from point (0,0,0) to (2,1,3) on different curves

I don't want an answer I just want an explanation for how this is done, this is what I understand so far:

If we want to calculate the curve (a , a²/4 , 3a³/8), aren't we just supposed to put in the equations of the track as x y z in the force equation and do an integral for a from 0 to 2? or do we have to multiply it by the differential of the curve equation?

The https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=75" is ∫ F.ds

Here they've given you a instead of s, so you need ∫ F(a) ds/da da

(ie, ds/da = 1/(da/ds) is the difficult part: you need to find that first … is this a real exam question?)
Also, if a force does the same amount of work on two different tracks, does that mean it's conservative for all tracks?

No, it could just be a coincidence.

However, in this case you could shorten the calculations by seeing that (4x²,-2y,2z) is conservative … you can probably see the potential, so just subtract potentials …

and that only leaves you to calculate the work done by (0,3z,0), which is a lot easier! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a homework question, thanks for the shortening tip, but why would I need s instead of a? aren't they the same?

I've already read that library post but it didn't help much, do you know maybe where I might find some questions with detailed answers of the same type?

Anza Power said:
… why would I need s instead of a? aren't they the same?

nooo … s is arc-lenth, but a can be any old parameter …

for work done, it's essential to use arc-length

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_length" for some details :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Ahaaaaa, now everything finally makes sense, thanks a bunch dude...

1. What is work done by force on a non-linear track?

The work done by force on a non-linear track refers to the amount of energy that is transferred to an object as it moves along a non-linear path. This work is typically measured in joules and is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance it travels along the track.

2. How is work done by force on a non-linear track different from linear track?

The main difference between work done on a non-linear track and a linear track is that the force and distance are not acting in the same direction on a non-linear track. This means that the force and displacement vectors are not parallel, which requires additional calculations to determine the work done.

3. What factors affect the work done by force on a non-linear track?

The three main factors that affect the work done by force on a non-linear track are the magnitude and direction of the force, the distance traveled by the object, and the angle between the force and displacement vectors. Additionally, the mass of the object and any external forces also play a role in determining the work done.

4. How is the work-energy theorem applied to work done by force on a non-linear track?

The work-energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This can be applied to work done on a non-linear track by calculating the initial and final kinetic energies of the object and determining the difference, which is equal to the work done on the object.

5. What are some real-world examples of work done by force on a non-linear track?

A common example of work done by force on a non-linear track is a roller coaster. As the coaster car moves along a track with twists, turns, and hills, the force of gravity and the angle of the track affect the work done on the car. Another example is a skier moving down a mountain, where the force of gravity and the angle of the slope determine the work done on the skier.