Biomedical engineering to medical physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of transferring from biomedical engineering to medical physics for a PhD program. The speaker has experience in MRI post-processing and is seeking advice on their profile and chances of getting into a medical physics program. The conversation also touches on the career path of medical physicists in Canada and the US, as well as the specific course requirements for different programs.
bo1229
Hi medical physics gurus,

I am a first-year master student in biomedical engineering. I have done lots of work in MRI post processing and learned about medical physics from my friends. I really want to transfer from engineering to medical physics in my PhD but have no substantial physics background (only took 2 Newtonian physics courses in my sophomore year)... please comment on my profile and my odd to get into a medical physics PhD program... I'd also appreciate some advice to make my application stronger!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Bo1229,

I suppose the first thing to point out is that MRI is a crossover field that is its own specialty within medical physics. At least, that's how it is in Canada - the CCPM has a specailty for MRI. Although lots of biomedical engineers go on into careers in MRI without certification at the present time.

I know at least one student who went from a master's degree in BME into a PhD in medical physics in the radiation oncology specialty, so it is possible.

As far as qualifying for the program, that will be specific to the schools that you apply to. Generally speaking, to get in, you need a physics degree "or equivalent" and what exactly "or equivalent" means is defined by each program individually. I know in the programs that I've been involved with over the years, a BME background would generally be considered acceptable. Other programs may have specific undergraduate course reqirements though.

Thanks Choppy!

Yeah most schools requires at least 2 modern physics courses plus one electricity and one magnetism course. I am thinking of getting in first and then fulfill the requirement...not sure if it is acceptable... still in talk with different schools.

btw, is the career path of medical physicist in Canada the same as in the states?

Thanks!

bo1229 said:
btw, is the career path of medical physicist in Canada the same as in the states?

Generally, yes. Although there seems to be more emphasis on research in Canada and we have our own certification body (which is generally accepted as equivalent to ABR certification).

Medical Physics is a option for radiological focused Nuclear Engineering majors. I believe the requirement is you need a minor in physics if you receive a degree in Nuclear Engineering.

1. What is the difference between biomedical engineering and medical physics?

Biomedical engineering is a field that combines principles of engineering and biology to develop medical devices, technologies, and treatments. On the other hand, medical physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the application of physics principles to medicine, such as radiation therapy and diagnostic imaging.

2. Can someone with a background in biomedical engineering transition to a career in medical physics?

Yes, it is possible for someone with a background in biomedical engineering to transition to a career in medical physics. However, additional education and training may be required, such as completing a graduate degree in medical physics or obtaining a medical physics certification.

3. What are some common applications of biomedical engineering and medical physics?

Some common applications of biomedical engineering include designing medical devices such as prosthetics and artificial organs, developing imaging technologies like MRI and ultrasound, and creating drug delivery systems. Medical physics is commonly used in radiation therapy for cancer treatment, diagnostic imaging techniques such as X-rays and CT scans, and nuclear medicine.

4. What skills are needed to work in the field of biomedical engineering and medical physics?

Both fields require a strong understanding of biology, physics, and mathematics. Additionally, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) and programming is beneficial for biomedical engineers, while medical physicists should have a strong grasp of radiation physics and radiation safety protocols.

5. How does research in biomedical engineering and medical physics contribute to healthcare?

Research in biomedical engineering and medical physics plays a crucial role in advancing healthcare by developing new treatments, technologies, and imaging techniques. This research can lead to more accurate diagnoses, less invasive procedures, and improved patient outcomes.