Calculations for raising temperature in specific amount of time

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of a rubber sphere by 20 degrees Celcius within 10 seconds, using the formula q = m x Cg x (Tf - Ti). The specific heat capacity has been calculated, but there is uncertainty about the time it will take for the sphere to reach the desired temperature. The individual also clarifies that this is not a homework question.
thepok
Hi,

I am trying to calculate the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a
rubber sphere by 20 degree's Celcius within 10 seconds. The rubber sphere will be
heated via radiation in a closed system.

I have calculated the specific heat capactity, by using the formula

q = m x Cg x (Tf - Ti)

However, it does not tell me how long it will take for the sphere to reach
the desired temperature.

Disclaimer : I am not a student and this is not a homework question.

Regards,
--pok

Science news on Phys.org
Apologies for the bump, but is anybody able to give me any kind of direction as to how I can go about solving my problem?

1. How do I calculate the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of a substance in a specific amount of time?

To calculate the amount of heat needed, you will need to use the specific heat capacity of the substance, the mass of the substance, and the desired change in temperature. The formula is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of heat, m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. What is the formula for calculating the specific heat capacity of a substance?

The formula for specific heat capacity is c = Q/mΔT, where c is the specific heat capacity, Q is the amount of heat, m is the mass, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. How can I increase the temperature of a substance quickly?

To increase the temperature of a substance quickly, you can increase the amount of heat applied, decrease the mass of the substance, or use a substance with a lower specific heat capacity.

4. What is the relationship between time and temperature in regards to raising the temperature of a substance?

The time it takes to raise the temperature of a substance is directly proportional to the amount of heat needed and inversely proportional to the mass and specific heat capacity of the substance. This means that the more heat applied, the faster the temperature will rise, while a larger mass or higher specific heat capacity will result in a slower rise in temperature.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the calculations for raising temperature in a specific amount of time?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the calculations, such as the type of heating method used, the starting temperature of the substance, and any changes in the environment or external conditions. These factors should be taken into consideration when performing calculations for raising temperature in a specific amount of time.