Potential Difference Between Capacitors in Circut

In summary, the two capacitors in the circuit are initially uncharged and are connected in series. After closing switch S1 and leaving switch S2 open, the effective capacitance of the circuit is 3.68e-5. However, due to the orientation of the battery, the potential difference at point c and d is not equal. The potential difference at c and d can be found by dividing the total voltage of the battery (137V) between the two sets of capacitors (top and bottom). After closing switch S2, the potential difference at point ad is equal to the potential difference at point d (109.6V) minus the potential difference at point a (0V), resulting in a potential difference of 109
nolachrymose

Homework Statement

The capacitors in the figure are initially uncharged and are connected as in the diagram (attached). Then switch S1 closed and switch S2 is left open.
After a long wait, what is the magnitude of the potential difference [tex]V_{cd}[/tex]? Answer in units of V.

Homework Equations

[tex]C = \frac{Q}{\Delta V}[/tex]
Effective Capacitance of Capactors in Series: [tex]\frac{1}{C_{eq}} = \frac{1}{C_{1}} + \frac{1}{C_{2}}[/tex]
Effective Capacitance of Capacitors in ||: [tex]C_{eq} = C_{1} + C_{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From the diagram, we can see that the two capacitors on top and the two on both are each in series. Therefore, using the formula for capacitors in series, the effective capacitance of the two top is 1.84e-5, and the same for the two on the bottom.

The top and bottom capacitors then form a || series, so we can add their capacitances to determine the total effective capacitance of the circuit = 3.68e-5.

We know that the voltage of the battery is 137V and we know the effective capacitance of the circuit, therefore we can calculate that Q = C/\V = 0.0050416 C.

We can then use the formula [tex]C = \frac{Q}{\Delta V}[/tex] to calculate the potential at c and d. C is at the end of a 92 microF capacitor, so using the formula, /\V = 54.8V. D is at the end of a 23 microF cap., so /\V = 219.2V. Therefore, [tex]V_{cd} = V_{d} - V_{c} = 219.2 - 54.8 = 164.4V[/tex]. However, this answer is wrong.

I'm not sure where I went wrong in this problem. I believe I solved the effective cap. of the circuit correctly, but maybe my calculations for the potential at c and d were erroneous. Any direction in solving this problem would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 641
Physics news on Phys.org
You have two separate voltage dividers: the two top capacitors form one, and the two bottom capacitors form another. How does voltage distribute across series capacitors?

Last edited:
In series capacitors, the sum of all voltages in the capacitors equals the voltage of the battery. But how does that help me solve the problem?

Since the top two capacitors are effectively equal to those of the bottom two, the voltage of the battery should be split half and half, making the voltages equal. Therefore, the potential difference would be 0, which is incorrect.

What am I missing?

Yes, the sum of the voltages for two series capacitors does equal the total voltage across the individual capacitors. The question is, how does the voltage split between the two series capacitors?

Oh, I just figured it out! Because the capacitors on top and bottom are parallel, their charges must add. Since the total capacitance of each is the same, the charge on each must be equal to Q/2, not Q. Therefore, the potential difference must be half of what I'd originally found.

However, I'm having trouble finding the answer to the next part. It states: "After closing switch [tex]S_{2}[/tex], what is the potential difference [tex]V_{ad}[/tex]."

The potential at a should be 0 because of the orientation of the battery. The capacitance at d, as found in the previous part, is 109.6. Therefore, the potential difference should be 109.6 - 0, but that's not correct.

I'm still not sure what I'm missing? And I was wondering if there was a good resource out there online that might help me better understand this material as a whole, because I'm struggling?

The capacitors on top and bottom are not in parallel. Each shares only one lead in common.

Tell you what. Cover up the two bottom capacitors and pretend that they don't exist. You're left with two capacitors in series, connected to a 137V battery. What is the voltage across each of the capacitors individually?

1. What is potential difference between capacitors in a circuit?

Potential difference between capacitors in a circuit is the difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between two points in a circuit that are connected by capacitors. It is measured in volts (V) and is a measure of the strength of the electric field in the circuit.

2. How is potential difference between capacitors calculated?

The potential difference between capacitors in a circuit is calculated by dividing the change in electric potential energy by the amount of charge that flows between the two points in the circuit. This can be represented by the equation V = ΔU/Q, where V is the potential difference, ΔU is the change in electric potential energy, and Q is the amount of charge.

3. What factors affect the potential difference between capacitors in a circuit?

The potential difference between capacitors in a circuit is affected by the capacitance of the capacitors, the amount of charge stored in the capacitors, and the arrangement of the capacitors in the circuit. It is also affected by the presence of other components in the circuit, such as resistors or other capacitors.

4. How does the potential difference between capacitors affect the overall circuit?

The potential difference between capacitors affects the overall circuit by determining the flow of current. In a series circuit, the potential difference is divided between the capacitors, resulting in a lower overall potential difference. In a parallel circuit, the potential difference is the same across all capacitors, resulting in a higher overall potential difference. This can impact the behavior of other components in the circuit and the overall performance of the circuit.

5. Can the potential difference between capacitors change over time?

Yes, the potential difference between capacitors can change over time. This can occur if the amount of charge stored in the capacitors changes, or if there are changes in the arrangement or other components in the circuit. It can also change over time due to external factors such as temperature or variations in the power source.