Salt tank differential equation

In summary: The problem statement says, "A large tank is filled to capacity with 500 gallons of pure water." "Is filled" implies to me that the tank starts out with 500 gal at t = 0.Therefore,If A(0) = 0, then c = −1000 and A(t) = 1000−1000e^(−t/100).
musicmar

Homework Statement

Solve problem 23 under the assumption that the solution is pumped out at a faster rate of 10 gal/min. When is the tank empty?

23. A large tank is filled to capacity with 500 gallons of pure water. Brine containing 2 pounds of salt per gallon is pumped into the tank at a rate of 5 gal/min. The well-mixed solution is pumped out at the same rate. Find the number A(t) of pounds of salt in the tank at time t.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I'm just looking for when the tank is empty, why do I need to care about salt? I solved it with a really simple D.E. using only the volume rates:

dV/dt = Rate in - Rate out

dV/dt = 5 gal/min - 10 gal/min ; V(0) = 500 gal

V = -5t + c

500 = 0 + c

c= 500

V = -5t + 500

0 = -5t + 500

t = 100 min.

I know this is the right answer for t, but the book also gives the equation for A(t) = 1000 - 10t - (1/10)(100-t)2

Is it really necessary to worry about the amount of salt, and if so, could someone help me?

Here is my work for solving for A(t):

dA/dt = 10 lb/min - (A(t)/500 gal) * (10 gal/min)

dA/dt = 5 - (1/50) A(t)

solve as linear; integrating factor = e(1/50)t

(A*e(1/50)t)' = 5*e(1/50)t

A*e(1/50)t = 250*e(1/50)t + c
c = 500

A = 250 + 500*e(1/50)t

Clearly, this is not the same answer. If someone could help me fix this, that would be great. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
From the equation for Mixtures Problems:
dA/dt = input rate of salt - output rate of salt

From what I understand, when we base things on the first equation from problem 23: dA/dt = 10 – (A/100) , we obtain the DE A(t) = 1000 + ce^(−t/100).

But what seemed strange is that you assumed that A(0) is 500 gal, when it should be 0 gal, after all, the problem only said that 500 gal is the CAPACITY of the tank not the content of it at t=0. Therefore,

If A(0) = 0, then c = −1000 and A(t) = 1000−1000e^(−t/100).

On to your next problem, if its is pumping in by 5 gal/min while pumping out by 10 gal/min, we can assume that the new rate out is:
Rate out = 10A/500−(10−5) --(incorporate into the theoretical equation)-----> we obtain: dA/dt= 10−(10A/500−(10−5)) = 10− (2A/100− t)

so our new DE is : A(t) = 1000−10t +c(100− t)^2.
If A(0) = 0, then c = −1/10 .

The tank is empty in 100 minutes.

If this didn't help, I'm sorry. Yes the amount of salt is relevant is it is pumped into a tank filled with pure water and can therefore affect the rate of outflow of brine (salt+water) from the tank.

19SAI said:
From the equation for Mixtures Problems:
dA/dt = input rate of salt - output rate of salt

From what I understand, when we base things on the first equation from problem 23: dA/dt = 10 – (A/100) , we obtain the DE A(t) = 1000 + ce^(−t/100).

But what seemed strange is that you assumed that A(0) is 500 gal, when it should be 0 gal, after all, the problem only said that 500 gal is the CAPACITY of the tank not the content of it at t=0.
The problem statement says, "A large tank is filled to capacity with 500 gallons of pure water."

"Is filled" implies to me that the tank starts out with 500 gal at t = 0.
19SAI said:
Therefore,

If A(0) = 0, then c = −1000 and A(t) = 1000−1000e^(−t/100).

On to your next problem, if its is pumping in by 5 gal/min while pumping out by 10 gal/min, we can assume that the new rate out is:
Rate out = 10A/500−(10−5) --(incorporate into the theoretical equation)-----> we obtain: dA/dt= 10−(10A/500−(10−5)) = 10− (2A/100− t)

so our new DE is : A(t) = 1000−10t +c(100− t)^2.
If A(0) = 0, then c = −1/10 .

The tank is empty in 100 minutes.

If this didn't help, I'm sorry.Yes the amount of salt is relevant is it is pumped into a tank filled with pure water and can therefore affect the rate of outflow of brine (salt+water) from the tank.

Dear mar,

your
dA/dt = 10 lb/min - (A(t)/500 gal) * (10 gal/min)
is based on a holdup of 500 gal at all times. But that isn't what's happening. The CST differential equation is different.

1. What is a salt tank differential equation?

A salt tank differential equation is a mathematical model that describes the rate of change of salt concentration in a tank over time. It takes into account factors such as inflow, outflow, and mixing of the salt solution in the tank.

2. How is a salt tank differential equation used in scientific research?

Salt tank differential equations are commonly used in environmental and chemical engineering research to study the dynamics of saltwater systems. They can also be used to optimize processes in industries such as desalination and water treatment.

3. What are the key components of a salt tank differential equation?

The key components of a salt tank differential equation are the salt concentration in the tank, the inflow and outflow rates of the solution, and the mixing rate within the tank. These variables are typically represented by mathematical symbols in the equation.

4. How is a salt tank differential equation solved?

Solving a salt tank differential equation involves using mathematical methods such as separation of variables, Laplace transforms, or numerical methods like Euler's method. The solution will depend on the specific parameters and initial conditions of the system being studied.

5. Can a salt tank differential equation be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, salt tank differential equations can be applied to real-life situations where there is a tank or container with a salt solution that is being mixed or has inflow and outflow. They can be useful in predicting the behavior of the salt concentration in the tank and optimizing processes for practical applications.