Divergence and curl of spherical polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the divergence and curl in spherical polar coordinates for a given vector field, F. The homework equations and various attempts at solutions are also mentioned. The expert provides corrections for the solutions and encourages the individual to keep up the good work.
maggie56

Homework Statement

Hi,
i am trying to find the div and curl in spherical polar coordinates for the vector field, F

I have attempted both and would really appreciate it if someone could tell me if the answers look ok as I am really not sure whether i have correctly followed the method
Thank you

Homework Equations

F [tex] \= -2rcos(theta) r'hat'+ 3rsin(theta) theta'hat' [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

divergence of F i have

[tex] \ 6*cos^2(theta)/sin(theta) - 6*cos(theta)[/tex]
it should be 6 cos^2 in the first term above, i can't get it to show for some reason

Curl of F i have

4sin(theta) phi'hat'

Physics news on Phys.org
- 6cos(theta) r'hat'

Hi there,

Your attempt at finding the divergence and curl in spherical polar coordinates for the given vector field looks like it is on the right track. However, there are a few things that need to be corrected in your solutions.

Firstly, for the divergence, the correct expression should be:

div(F) = 3cos(theta) + 6cos(theta)/sin(theta)

This can be obtained by using the definition of divergence in spherical coordinates:

div(F) = (1/r^2)*(∂(r^2F_r)/∂r + ∂(rF_theta)/∂θ + (1/sin(theta))*∂(F_phi)/∂phi)

where F_r, F_theta and F_phi are the components of the vector field F in spherical coordinates.

For the curl, the correct expression should be:

curl(F) = (1/r)*(-3sin(theta) phi'hat' + 6cos(theta) r'hat')

Again, this can be obtained using the definition of curl in spherical coordinates:

curl(F) = (1/r)*(1/sin(theta))*∂(rF_phi)/∂theta - ∂(F_theta)/∂phi + ∂(rF_theta)/∂r - (1/sin(theta))*∂(F_r)/∂phi

I hope this helps clarify any doubts you may have had in your solutions. Keep up the good work!

1. What are spherical polar coordinates?

Spherical polar coordinates are a coordinate system used to describe the position of a point in three-dimensional space. They consist of three coordinates: radial distance, polar angle, and azimuthal angle.

2. How do you calculate the divergence of a vector field in spherical polar coordinates?

The formula for calculating the divergence of a vector field in spherical polar coordinates is: 1/r^2 * ∂(r^2Vr)/∂r + 1/(r sin θ) * ∂(Vθ sin θ)/∂θ + 1/(r sin θ) * ∂Vφ/∂φ. Here, r is the radial distance, θ is the polar angle, and φ is the azimuthal angle.

3. What is the physical interpretation of divergence in spherical polar coordinates?

The divergence of a vector field in spherical polar coordinates represents the net flow of the vector field outwards or inwards at a specific point in space. It can also be interpreted as the rate of change of the vector field with respect to distance.

4. How do you calculate the curl of a vector field in spherical polar coordinates?

The formula for calculating the curl of a vector field in spherical polar coordinates is: 1/(r sin θ) * ∂(Vφ sin θ)/∂θ - ∂(Vθ)/∂φ + 1/(r sin θ) * ∂(rVθ)/∂r. Here, r is the radial distance, θ is the polar angle, and φ is the azimuthal angle.

5. What is the physical interpretation of curl in spherical polar coordinates?

The curl of a vector field in spherical polar coordinates represents the rotation or swirling motion of the vector field at a specific point in space. It can also be interpreted as the tendency of the vector field to rotate around a point.