Calculating % Contribution of nth Wavefunction in Potential Well

In summary, the question asks for the percentage contribution of the (2x2-1)th infinite potential well wavefunction to the initial wavefunction of psi(x,t=0)=1/sqrt(L). The even values of n are excluded, possibly due to their relation to Fourier series. It may be helpful to use the coefficient equation and determine the energy level.
Caldo120

Homework Statement

What fraction (as a percentage) does the n=(2x2-1)th infinite potential well wavefunction contribute to the 'classical' initial wavefunction psi(x,t=0)=1/sqrt(L) ? (Why are the even n excluded?)

Homework Equations

psi(x,t=0) = 1 / sqrt(L)

The Attempt at a Solution

generally pretty dumbfounded with this, our lecturer hasn't went through a worked example and i can't find any related equations in my notes. Any help on the question would be greatly appreciated. I intend to ask my lecturer about it as well and the lack of related material. I think it may have something to do with Fourier series?

Thanks,

Calum

Physics news on Phys.org

use the coefficient equation if you know what that is. And what energy level is that exactly

1. What is the formula for calculating the % contribution of nth wavefunction in a potential well?

The formula for calculating the % contribution of nth wavefunction in a potential well is P_n = |ψ_n|^2/∑|ψ_n|^2 * 100%, where P_n represents the % contribution, ψ_n represents the nth wavefunction, and the summation is taken over all possible wavefunctions.

2. How is the % contribution of nth wavefunction affected by changes in the potential well?

The % contribution of nth wavefunction is affected by changes in the potential well as it depends on the shape and depth of the potential well. A deeper potential well will increase the % contribution of the lower energy wavefunctions, while a shallower potential well will increase the % contribution of the higher energy wavefunctions.

3. Can the % contribution of nth wavefunction be greater than 100%?

No, the % contribution of nth wavefunction cannot be greater than 100%. This is because the summation of all possible wavefunctions represents the total probability of finding the particle in the potential well, and this value cannot exceed 100%.

4. How does the % contribution of nth wavefunction relate to the probability of finding the particle in a specific energy state?

The % contribution of nth wavefunction is directly related to the probability of finding the particle in a specific energy state. The higher the % contribution of a particular wavefunction, the higher the probability of finding the particle in that energy state.

5. How can the % contribution of nth wavefunction be experimentally determined?

The % contribution of nth wavefunction can be experimentally determined by measuring the energy states of the particle in the potential well and using the formula P_n = |ψ_n|^2/∑|ψ_n|^2 * 100%. This will give the relative contribution of each wavefunction to the total probability of finding the particle in the potential well.