EDTA titration-(Analytical Chem.)

• Thread starter tipton12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem Edta
In summary, the EDTA titration was used to analyze a mixture of Mn2+, Mg2+, and Zn2+. The sample was treated with hydroxylammonium chloride to maintain manganese in the 2+ state. It was then titrated with EDTA to the blue end point. After adding NaF and 15 wt% aqueous KCN, the liberated EDTA was titrated again with standard Mn2+ solution. Through calculations, it was determined that the sample contained 70.21mg Mn2+, 20.89mg Zn2+, and 5.150mg Mg2+.
tipton12
EDTA titration--(Analytical Chem.)

A mixture of Mn2+, Mg2+, and Zn2+ was analyzed as follows: The 25.00mL sample was treated with 0.25g of NH3OHCl (hydroxylammonium chloride)--a reducing agent that maintains manganese in the 2+ state. 10 mL of ammonia buffer (pH10) and a few drops of eriochrome black T indicator and then diluted to 100 mL. It was warmed to 40 degrees (C) and titrated with 39.98 mL of 0.04500 M EDTA to the blue end point. Then 2.5g of NaF was added to displace Mg2+ from its EDTA complex. The liberated EDTA required 10.26 mL of standard 0.02065 M Mn2+ for complete titration. After this second end point was reached, 5 mL of 15 wt% aqueous KCN was added to displace Zn2+ from its EDTA complex. This time the liberated EDTA required 15.47 mL of standard 0.02065 M Mn2+. Calculate the number of milligrams of each metal (Mn2+, Zn2+, and Mg2+) in the 25.00 mL sample of unknown. (note: EDTA reacts 1:1 with metal ions).

--ok, I seriously have no idea where to start. I definitely need a starting point. Am I right to assume since EDTA reacts 1:1, that I do not need to do redox for each metal ion? ---Please help!

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, EDTA reacts with almost all metal ions in 1:1 stoichiometric molar ratio, as it has six donor atoms to bind to metal ions. Multiply all the volumes in mL with their corresponding concentrations in mol/L to convert to their millimoles. This may help you fro the beginning.

I did that already to get:

(10.26mL)(0.02065mmol/mL)=0.2112 mmol Mn2+
(15.47mL)(0.02065mmol/mL)=0.3195 mmol Mn2+

Then, I subtracted the two, to get 0.1083mmol Mn2+
I then took that number and multiplied it with the weight:
(.1083mmol Mn2+)(54.938mg/mmol Mn2+)=5.95mg Mn2+

Is this correct for the Mn2+? Or do I need to do something different? When I got to that point, I didn't know where else to go to get the Zn2+ and the Mg2+. Any suggestions?

It seems okay with Mn2+ ion.

In the beginning, you know that
39.98 mL of 0.04500 M EDTA
is the total of three ions.

MgF2 precipitate is formed by the action of fluoride to magnesium, if I am not wrong. So one mole of EDTA is released to the medium, and this is treated with the given amount of standard Mg2+ solution.

Zinc ion forms a tetracyanozincate(II) complex, as shown with the formula [Zn(CN)4]2-.

What you need to do is simply write the formation reactions of the compounds I mentioned, and find how many moles of reactants (fluoride or cyanide) is required.

I got 7.035mg Zn2+ , 2.14x10^3 mg Mg2+, and 5.95mg Mn 2+. I hope these values are correct,but if they are not then it is only an error in my math. thanks a lot for all your help! tipton12

I changed my answer last minute to get the actual correct answers:
mmoles Mg2+= (10.26)(.02065M)=.2119
mmoles Zn2+=(15.47mL)(.02065M)=.3195
mmoles Mn2+=1.799-.2119-.3195=1.278

(.2119mmolesMg2+)(24.3051mg/mmole)=5.150mg Mg2+
(.3195mmolesZn2+)(65.392mg/mmole)=20.89mg Zn2+
(1.278mmolesMn2+)(54.9380mg/mmole)=70.21mgMn2+

the 1.799 comes from (39.98mL)(.04500mmoles/mL EDTA)=1.799

What is EDTA titration and why is it used in analytical chemistry?

EDTA titration is a method used in analytical chemistry to determine the concentration of metal ions in a solution. It involves the use of a chelating agent called ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) to form a complex with the metal ions, which can then be measured using various indicators or techniques.

What are the steps involved in performing an EDTA titration?

The first step is to prepare the sample solution by accurately measuring and diluting the unknown concentration of metal ions. Then, a known volume of the solution is placed into a titration flask and a few drops of indicator are added. Next, EDTA solution is slowly added to the flask until the indicator changes color, indicating the endpoint of the titration. Finally, the volume of EDTA solution used is recorded and used to calculate the concentration of metal ions in the solution.

What are some common indicators used in EDTA titrations?

Some common indicators used in EDTA titrations include Eriochrome Black T, Calconcarboxylic acid, and Murexide. These indicators change color when they form a complex with the metal ions, indicating the endpoint of the titration.

What are some potential sources of error in EDTA titrations?

Some potential sources of error in EDTA titrations include inaccurate measurement of the sample solution, improper use or calibration of the titration equipment, and not allowing enough time for the reaction to reach equilibrium. Additionally, the presence of other ions or compounds in the solution can interfere with the formation of the metal-EDTA complex and result in inaccurate results.

What are some applications of EDTA titrations in real-world scenarios?

EDTA titrations have various applications in industries such as pharmaceuticals, water treatment, and food production. In pharmaceuticals, EDTA titrations are used to determine the purity of drugs and detect impurities. In water treatment, it is used to measure the concentration of metal ions in water sources. In food production, EDTA titrations are used to ensure the accurate labeling of food products and to test for heavy metal contamination.