Uhmwhat is a constant with a verticle slash though it? heh

• Thread starter QuantumTheory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the conversation is about an equation and the confusion and difficulty in understanding it. The equation involves the use of complex matrices and the practice of slashing through symbols. It is unclear if the equation has any real meaning or if it is just a random combination of symbols. The origin of the equation is unknown.
QuantumTheory
Alright, this equation is just BIZARRE and amazes me yet makes me feel incredibly stupid at once.

[tex]{\cal L}_R = \sum_{i=1}^G \bar{E}^i_R(i\kern+0.1em /\kern-0.55em \partial - g_1Y_E \kern+0.1em /\kern-0.65em B)E^i_R + \bar{D}^i_R(i\kern+0.1em /\kern-0.65em D - g_1Y_D \kern+0.1em /\kern-0.65em B)D^i_R + \bar{U}^i_R(i\kern+0.15em /\kern-0.65em D - g_1Y_U \kern+0.1em /\kern-0.65em B)U^i_R[/tex]

Anyone feel like explaning what it means? Is it a REAL EQUATION or just random stuff put together?
?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where'd you get that?

It may mean something if we knew what those slashed-through symbols mean.
The expressions in parentheses could be operators, since it's sandwiched between something and (possibly) it's complex conjugate.

Slashing through symbols is an unusual practice though, so my guess is that it's bogus.

Dirac often used the "inner product" of a spacetime vector with his four 4X4 complex matrices (presented as [tex] (\gamma_0, \gamma_1, \gamma_2\, \gamma_3)[/tex]). As shorthand, he wrote the symbol for this as the letter for the spacetime vector with a slash throught it. Of course in each "inner product" term, the matrix is really acting on the vector.

What is the symbol with a vertical slash through it?

The symbol with a vertical slash through it is called "Uhm" and is often used to indicate hesitation or uncertainty in speech. It is also sometimes used as a placeholder in written text.

What does the symbol mean in scientific contexts?

In scientific contexts, the symbol "Uhm" does not have a specific meaning. It is not a recognized scientific symbol and is not used in any mathematical or scientific equations or formulas.

Why is the symbol used in scientific discussions?

The symbol "Uhm" is not typically used in scientific discussions. It may be used informally by scientists as a way to express hesitation or uncertainty in their thoughts or findings.

Is there a scientific term for the symbol with a vertical slash through it?

No, there is not a scientific term for the symbol "Uhm". As mentioned, it is not a recognized scientific symbol and is not used in any formal scientific contexts.

Can the symbol be used in formal scientific writing?

No, the symbol "Uhm" should not be used in formal scientific writing. It is considered informal and may not be appropriate for the formal and technical language used in scientific publications.

Back