Calculating pH and POH: NaOH in Water Solution

• Thread starter Nelo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the hydroxyl concentration, hydronium concentration, and pH of a solution containing 0.45g of NaOH mixed with 500ml of water. The solution involves calculating the moles of NaOH, determining the concentration of hydroxyl, and using the equilibrium constant for water's autoionization to find the pH and hydronium concentration. The process involves taking the -log of the hydroxyl concentration and using the equilibrium equation to find the pH and hydronium concentration.
Nelo

Homework Statement

NaOH is an example of a strong base. if 0.45g of NaOH is mixed with 500ml of water what is the

[OH]
[H3O+]
pH

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so, i calculating moles thru molar mass and divided by 0.5 to get mol/l. put that as the concentration of the hydroxyl. (0.0225)

What i don't understand is how to get the hydronium ion concentration. I know that its going to involve doing the -log of 0.025 to get the pH. Which is 1.4. But why do i do 14-1.4 then do the antilog of that to get the concentration of the hydronium ion?

I know how its solved, My real question is... why do i do 14- (ph of hydroxl) to find the concentration of the hydronium?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because water's autohydronolysis has the equilibrium constant of 10^-14
[OH-]*[H3O]=10^-14 <--> pOH- + pH = 14

WHen you pour a base into it, a negligible part of that base will be converted to water until the equilibrium condition is met

More datils: water ion product.

1. How do you calculate the pH of a solution containing NaOH?

To calculate the pH of a solution containing NaOH, you need to first determine the concentration of the NaOH solution. Then, using the concentration and the known dissociation constant of NaOH, you can solve for the hydroxide ion concentration. Finally, take the negative logarithm of the hydroxide ion concentration to find the pH of the solution.

2. What is the relationship between pH and pOH?

pH and pOH are two ways of expressing the acidity or basicity of a solution. pH is a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution, while pOH is a measure of the concentration of hydroxide ions (OH-) in a solution. They are related by the equation pH + pOH = 14.

3. How do you calculate the pOH of a solution containing NaOH?

To calculate the pOH of a solution containing NaOH, you need to first determine the concentration of the NaOH solution. Then, using the concentration and the known dissociation constant of NaOH, you can solve for the hydroxide ion concentration. Finally, take the negative logarithm of the hydroxide ion concentration to find the pOH of the solution.

4. What is the dissociation constant of NaOH?

The dissociation constant of NaOH, also known as the base dissociation constant (Kb), is a measure of the strength of a base. It is equal to the concentration of the products (Na+ and OH-) divided by the concentration of the reactant (NaOH) raised to the power of the coefficients in the balanced chemical equation. For NaOH, the dissociation constant is 1.0 x 10^-14.

5. How does the concentration of NaOH affect the pH of a solution?

The concentration of NaOH directly affects the pH of a solution. As the concentration of NaOH increases, the concentration of hydroxide ions also increases, leading to a higher pH. Similarly, as the concentration of NaOH decreases, the concentration of hydroxide ions decreases, resulting in a lower pH.