VAWT, wind induction factor

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the double-multiple streamtube model in modeling a vertical axis wind turbine. The speaker is having trouble with the induction factor causing issues in the downwind part of the rotation. They were expecting the upwind and downwind angle of attack curves to be the same shape but are experiencing problems with two separate minima or even sign changes. The speaker is unsure if this is a feature of the DMS model or a mistake in their own model. They also mention using an iterative equation to solve for the induction factor, but are unsure how to handle values greater than 1.
Kelju Ivan
I'm trying to model a vertical axis wind turbine with the double-multiple streamtube model (with Matlab), where wind speed is dampened by an induction factor so that the output is different for upwind and downwind parts of rotation.

The trouble is that for the downwind part, the induction factor seems to have a peak in the middle, which screws up the system. I was expecting the upwind and downwind angle of attack curves to be the same shape, but of different heights, but the downwind part gets two separate minima or even changes sign (see attached images). This problem occurs at lower wind speeds, but hints of it can also be noted at higher speeds.

I'm wondering if this is just a feature of the DMS model or if there is something wrong with my model.

For the downwind part, the iterative equation I use for solving the induction factor is

[tex]
a(1-a) = \frac{Nc}{8\pi r} \left(\frac{v_R}{v_a}\right)^2 \left(-C_N + \frac{C_T}{\tan{\theta}}\right) \,,
[/tex]

where [tex] v_R [/tex] is the effective wind speed, [tex] v_a [/tex] is the dampened wind speed after the upwind part of the rotor and [tex] \theta [/tex] is the azimuthal angle of the turbine blade, when the wind comes from the top of an xy-plane.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• angle_7ms.png
    angle_7ms.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 563
  • angle_6ms.png
    angle_6ms.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 535
  • induction_6ms.png
    induction_6ms.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 545
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey

It is a long time after your post, but I also need to model a VAWT. I don't understand how is it possible to have a > 1?

Thanks

What is a VAWT?

A VAWT (Vertical Axis Wind Turbine) is a type of wind turbine that has a vertical axis of rotation, as opposed to the more common horizontal axis wind turbines. This design allows the turbine to capture wind from any direction without needing to constantly adjust its position.

How does a VAWT work?

A VAWT works by using the force of wind to rotate its blades, which are connected to a central shaft. As the blades rotate, the shaft turns a generator to produce electricity. The wind induction factor plays a role in determining the efficiency of this process.

What is wind induction factor?

The wind induction factor is a measure of how much energy is extracted from the wind by a wind turbine. It takes into account factors such as the size and shape of the turbine, the wind speed, and the air density. A higher wind induction factor indicates a more efficient turbine.

How is wind induction factor calculated?

The wind induction factor is calculated by dividing the power output of the wind turbine by the product of the wind speed and air density. This results in a unitless value, typically expressed as a percentage. The higher the resulting value, the more efficient the turbine is at extracting energy from the wind.

Why is wind induction factor important?

The wind induction factor is an important factor to consider when designing and evaluating wind turbines. A higher wind induction factor means that the turbine is more efficient at converting wind energy into electricity, which can result in lower costs and higher energy production. It also allows for comparison between different wind turbine designs and helps optimize their performance.