Gear mechanism and wheel arrangement for reduction of fuel consumption

In summary, a commerce student is seeking help for a concept proposed by their father to improve fuel consumption in vehicles by having smaller front wheels. However, the size of front wheels is typically determined by weight distribution and not for aesthetic purposes. This can be demonstrated through playing with toy cars.
joeldsouza
Hi everyone,

I hope I have posted in the right place.
I'm a commerce student and have absolutely no idea about mechanical stuffs. My father has an idea in mind which he would love to implement. He too is a commerce student. Hence, I need some help from you'll to see if this is really practical.

The concept:
Every vehicle runs on two equal sized wheels and has two parts with allocation of style. the allocation is explained in the pictures. In this idea the front wheel is supposed to smaller than the wheel behind. If the weight falls on the front wheel, is there a possibility for the vehicle to consume less fuel? As, it reduces the state of being idle and eases the pressure.

I'll attach some pictures so you can get an idea and i'll elaborate more. Can you please throw some light on this.

Looking forward for reply.

Thanks
Joel

Attachments

• sdfsf.jpg
    sdfsf.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 474
  • ddsdd.jpg
    ddsdd.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
No energy is saved by your proposal.

The front wheels are typically smaller because they actually have to support less weight, not for aesthetic reasons.

Have a play with some Lego / Meccano cars to try and convince yourself.

1. What is a gear mechanism?

A gear mechanism is a system of interlocking gears that transmit power and motion from one part of a machine to another. It consists of two or more gears with teeth that mesh together to transfer rotational motion.

2. How does a gear mechanism reduce fuel consumption?

A gear mechanism can reduce fuel consumption by using a smaller gear to turn a larger gear, which decreases the speed and increases the torque of the output. This allows the engine to operate at a lower, more efficient speed without sacrificing power.

3. What is the purpose of wheel arrangement in fuel consumption reduction?

The purpose of wheel arrangement in fuel consumption reduction is to optimize the vehicle's speed and power output. By arranging the wheels in a specific way, the vehicle can achieve a balance between speed and torque, resulting in better fuel efficiency.

4. How do you determine the best gear and wheel arrangement for a specific vehicle?

Determining the best gear and wheel arrangement for a specific vehicle involves analyzing the vehicle's engine power, weight, and intended use. This information can be used to calculate the ideal gear ratio and wheel arrangement that will result in the most efficient operation of the vehicle.

5. Can gear and wheel arrangement also affect the performance of a vehicle?

Yes, gear and wheel arrangement can greatly affect the performance of a vehicle. The right gear and wheel arrangement can improve acceleration, top speed, and handling, while the wrong arrangement can result in decreased performance and even damage to the vehicle's components.