Shear valve Design. Wall thickness at break point.

In summary: I've decided to try it without knowing if it'll work. I decided to use the modulus of rigidity which is in force per area. S=F/A I find the area and say its my cross sectional area. I have a given force, pipe inner radius, and want to find the cross sectional area of the break point. I used this equation A=pi(r+w.t.)^2-pi(r)^2 which can be arrange for wall thickness w.t.=sqroot(A*pi). I keep getting a very low wall thickness(.013 in). Is this calculation right?** re written **FBD (probably useless)Pipe lengthwise cross
cdf0080
Hi.

Situation: A pipe with a cut out so it will break when a shear force is exerted at the top of the pipe. The break point is at the cut out and the the force is impact in lbs.

What is the wall thickness(or cross sectional area) at the cut out point?

I know i may be missing variables..

Thank you for reading

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've decided to try it without knowing if it'll work. I decided to use the modulus of rigidity which is in force per area. S=F/A I find the area and say its my cross sectional area. I have a given force, pipe inner radius, and want to find the cross sectional area of the break point. I used this equation A=pi(r+w.t.)^2-pi(r)^2 which can be arrange for wall thickness w.t.=sqroot(A*pi). I keep getting a very low wall thickness(.013 in). Is this calculation right?

** re written **

FBD (probably useless)
Pipe lengthwise cross section
| | | |
| | | |
> | | < <-shear point, distance tip of cuts is the outer diameter (D_o)
| | | |
| | | |

Problem

A shear pipe is is intended to break while going under 400-600 lb-feet bending moment.
What is the outside diameter of the shear point to break under this load?

Variables
Stainless steel 304
Modulus of Rigidity(G)= 11e3 ksi
Inner Diameter of pipe (D_i) = 1 in
yield stress of 304 SS (σ_y) = 30,000 psi
let Moment (M) = 500 lb-feet = 6000 lb-in
Inertia(I) = ?
Outside diameter at shear section(D_o)

Formula
Bending normal stress = σ_y= (M*(D_o/2))/I
Inertia of pipe = I=(pi/64)(D_o^4 - D_i^4)

Solve Attempt
plugged in for I
I = (pi/64)(D_o^4) - (pi/64)

rearrange σ_y
D_o = (2*σ_y*I)/M
D_o = (2*(30000psi)*((pi/64)(D_o^4)-(pi/64)))/(6000 lb-in)
rearranged and solved
0= (10*pi/64)(D_o^4) - D_o - (10*pi/64)

solve for D_o
equation solver
D_o= 2.44601217,-0.4088289

didn't show but used ultimate strength instead of yield and got 25 and 0. way worse

I'm looking for a number in between 1 and 1.5 in.
I thought this calculation was the real deal.

A mistake or bad equations?
Is there an equation to figure out the outside diameter?

Thank you for reading

1. What is a shear valve design?

A shear valve design is a safety feature that is installed in piping systems to prevent a catastrophic failure in the event of an earthquake or large ground movement. It is designed to break at a specific point, limiting the release of hazardous materials.

2. How does a shear valve work?

A shear valve consists of two parts - a lower valve and an upper valve. The lower valve is attached to the piping system and the upper valve is attached to the structure. In the event of ground movement, the upper and lower valves will shear apart, closing off the flow of materials and preventing a rupture in the piping system.

3. What factors determine the wall thickness at the break point in a shear valve?

The wall thickness at the break point of a shear valve is determined by the type and size of the piping system, the material being transported, and the intensity of the expected ground movement. It is important to have a proper analysis of these factors to ensure the shear valve is designed correctly.

4. What are the common materials used for shear valve design?

The most commonly used materials for shear valve design are steel and ductile iron. These materials have high strength and can withstand the forces of ground movement. However, other materials such as aluminum and composite materials may also be used depending on the specific application.

5. How do I know if a shear valve is necessary for my piping system?

A shear valve is necessary for piping systems that transport hazardous materials or are located in areas with high seismic activity. It is important to consult with a professional engineer to determine if a shear valve is required for your specific piping system and location.