Underdamped Oscillator Solution: Deriving x(0) and v(0)

In summary, the conversation discusses the underdamped oscillator solution and its general form, with the attempt to solve a specific problem. The solution for the underdamped oscillator is given as x(t)=x0e−γt[cos(Ω't+((vo+γxo)/(xoΩ')sinΩ't], and the conversation includes a discussion on how to transform this equation into a more useful form. The conversation ends with a request for input and help on solving the problem.
yakkayakka

Homework Statement

Show that the underdamped oscillator solution can be expressed as x(t)=x[itex]_{0}[/itex]e[itex]^{-γt}[/itex][cos(Ω't+((v[itex]_{o}[/itex]+γx[itex]_{o}[/itex])/(x[itex]_{o}[/itex]Ω')sinΩ't] and demonstrate by direct calculation that x(0)=x[itex]_{o}[/itex] and [itex]\dot{x}[/itex](0)=v[itex]_{o}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The underdamped oscillator solution is
x(t)=ae[itex]^{-γt}[/itex]cos(Ω't+[itex]\alpha[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem completely overwhelms me so my solution may be a little lacking...
I took the general form
Acos(ω[itex]_{o}[/itex]t)+Bsin(ω[itex]_{o}[/itex]t)
Where
A=acos([itex]\alpha[/itex]) and B=-asin([itex]\alpha[/itex])
Which according to what I read in the book should yield
x(t)=a[cos(ω[itex]_{o}[/itex]t+[itex]\alpha[/itex])]
So I am thinking that the equation ae[itex]^{-γt}[/itex]cos(Ω't+[itex]\alpha[/itex]) can be transformed into a more useful form using the same method

and that is sadly as close as I could get

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote,

x(t)=x0e−γt[cos(Ω't+((vo+γxo)/(xoΩ')sinΩ't]

I think you are missing some ")" somewhere?

1. What is a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator is a system that exhibits a periodic motion where the force acting on the system is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point, and the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of the displacement.

2. What is the equation for a simple harmonic oscillator?

The equation for a simple harmonic oscillator is F = -kx, where F is the restoring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium point.

3. What is the period of a simple harmonic oscillator?

The period of a simple harmonic oscillator is the time it takes for one complete cycle of motion. It is calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the object and k is the spring constant.

4. What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and simple harmonic oscillator?

Simple harmonic motion refers to the periodic motion of an object that is solely influenced by a restoring force, whereas a simple harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits simple harmonic motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic oscillators?

Some examples of simple harmonic oscillators in everyday life include a pendulum, a mass attached to a spring, a swing, and a tuning fork.