Generating sets based on a recursive language definition

In summary, the conversation is discussing a recursive definition for a language L over the alphabet {a, b}. The basis of the language is the empty string and the recursive step states that if a string w is in L, then awbb is also in L. The closure states that a string w is in L if it can be obtained from the basis set by a finite number of applications of the recursive step. The sets L1, L2, and L3 are generated by this recursive definition, with L0 being the empty string. The conversation also discusses the interpretation of the notation 'awbb' and its impact on the generated sets.
nuguns
I've searched the internet and the forums for any help on this, but I can't seem to find a topic that details what the successive sets will contain. Here is an example question: (I have many HW problems like this, I just don't know where to start)

Let L be the language over {a,b} generated by the following recursive definition
basis: λ ∈ L
recursive step: If w ∈ L then awbb is in L.
closure: A string w ∈ L only if it can be obtained from the basis set by a finite number
of applications of the recursive step.
Part a. Give the sets L1; L2; and L3 generated by the recursive definition. Note that L0 = λ

I get that The alphabet is {a,b}, Lo = the empty string, and if a string w is contained in L, then awbb is in L. But what does that mean for the next couple sets?

I think L1 = {λ ,awbb} and then L2={λ , awbb, aawbbwbb}?

Any help you could offer on this would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
nuguns said:
I think L1 = {λ ,awbb} and then L2={λ , awbb, aawbbwbb}?

I'm not an expert on this topic, but I don't think 'w' is intended to be a an element of the language. It is a variable. Since 'a' an element of the language then the rule that mentions 'awbb' allows you to say that 'aabb' is in the language. It also let's you say that 'abbb' is in the language. Is that what you meant by the notation 'awbb'?

1. What is a generating set in the context of a recursive language definition?

A generating set is a finite set of symbols or words that can be used to generate all possible strings in a recursive language. These symbols or words are typically chosen based on the rules and productions of the language and can be combined in various ways to create new strings.

2. How are generating sets used in the study of recursive languages?

Generating sets are used as a way to represent and analyze the structure and properties of recursive languages. By identifying and manipulating the symbols in a generating set, we can gain insights into the language's grammar and understand its capabilities in terms of generating strings.

3. Can a recursive language have multiple generating sets?

Yes, a recursive language can have multiple generating sets. In fact, there are often many different sets of symbols that can be used to generate the same language. However, some generating sets may be more useful or efficient for analyzing the language than others.

4. How do you generate a string from a recursive language using a generating set?

To generate a string from a recursive language using a generating set, you start with a starting symbol or word from the set and then repeatedly apply the language's production rules to expand the string until you have reached the desired length or structure.

5. What is the relationship between a generating set and a formal grammar for a recursive language?

A generating set and a formal grammar for a recursive language are closely related. The generating set provides a way to represent the language's grammar in a more intuitive and visual manner, while the formal grammar provides a more precise and mathematical definition of the language's rules and structure.