Generating full sequence with complex numbers.

In summary, the conversation is about applying the concept of using a recurrence relation to generate a full sequence of numbers to complex numbers (a+bi). It is possible to do so, as the same method (x_{n+1}= ax_n+ b) can be used, with the only difference being that any of the constants and initial value can be complex numbers.
smithnya
Hello everyone,

I need some help with the following: I understand that by using xn = axn-1+b we can generate a full sequence of numbers. For example, if x1=ax0+b, then x2 = ax1+b = a2x0+ab+b, and so on and so forth to xn. I need help applying this same concept to complex numbers (a+bi). Is it even possible? I think it is, but I can't figure it out. Can some one lend a hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
hello smithnya! :smile:

this is a recurrence relation

its solutions should be of the same form, whether the constants are real or complex

were you having a problem with any particular relation?​

Well, my professor began to explain the relation among real numbers, and he explained for x0, x1, x2, etc. He mentioned that the same could be done with complex numbers, but never went into detail, maybe he will explain later. It piqued my curiosity, but I can't figure out how to generate a full sequence using the same method above only with something of the form a+bi.

As tiny tim said, it is exactly the same thing: [itex]x_{n+1}= ax_n+ b[/itex] will give complex numbers if anyone or more of a, b, and [itex]x_0[/itex] is complex.

I can confirm that it is indeed possible to generate a full sequence of complex numbers using a similar formula. The only difference is that instead of using a and b as constants, we will use complex numbers (a+bi) as our coefficients.

For example, if we start with x1 = (a+bi)x0 + (c+di), then x2 = (a+bi)x1 + (c+di) = (a+bi)((a+bi)x0 + (c+di)) + (c+di) = a2x0 + 2abi + b2i2 + (ac+bd)i + (ad-bc)d.

We can continue this process to generate a full sequence of complex numbers. It is important to note that the sequence may become more complex and difficult to calculate as the values of a, b, c, and d change. However, the concept remains the same and it is possible to generate a full sequence with complex numbers using this formula.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have a real part and an imaginary part. They are represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the square root of -1.

2. What is the process for generating a full sequence with complex numbers?

The process for generating a full sequence with complex numbers involves performing a series of mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, on complex numbers to obtain a set of numbers in a specific order.

3. Why are complex numbers useful in generating sequences?

Complex numbers are useful in generating sequences because they allow for the incorporation of both real and imaginary components, which can result in more diverse and complex patterns than using only real numbers.

4. Can complex numbers be used to generate infinite sequences?

Yes, complex numbers can be used to generate infinite sequences by applying mathematical operations on the numbers repeatedly or recursively.

5. What are some real-life applications of generating sequences with complex numbers?

Some real-life applications of generating sequences with complex numbers include signal processing, control systems, and cryptography. They are also used in physics and engineering to model and analyze systems and phenomena that involve both real and imaginary components.