Scissor Jack(How does it really work?)

• Thread starter cadstudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discussed the design of a Scissor Jack and the use of a threaded collar for transmitting the screw thread to lift the arms. The threaded collar acts as a nut, connected to one end of the threaded screw rod, while a simple collar acts as a bearing at the other end. It is recommended to gear the lower levers together for safety purposes. It is important to understand the kinematics and analyze the forces in order to properly design the jack.
cadstudent
I am designing a Scissor Jack. I have been doing a lot of investigating. I would like to ask by what means of design are there already for transmitting the screw thread to actual lift in the arms. I have seen the use of a collar being used. I would like to know how that exactly works please. (Is the threaded collar connected to one end of the threaded screw rod. Preventing the screw rod from disconnecting. At the end is a nut. Thus allowing when turned by means of say a "z" shaped crank, obtaining lift. Also my design does not have gear teeth on the end of my four "C" shaped Support members. Does that matter in actual lift? As well they do not close into each other.

http://www.scribd.com/koanakist/d/23191468-Design-of-the-Toggle-Jack

I need this design explained regarding how this collar works please.

Regards & Thanks

A Student

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The threaded collar you speak of is nothing more than an nut, incorporated into the pin at one end of the horizontal extremes, while there is a simple collar (no thread) as a bearing at the other horizontal extreme. It is not absolutely essential that the two lower levers be geared together, but it is a good design practice for safety sake.

The whole idea is that by pulling the two extreme points together, the upper and lower parallelograms are forced to gain height due to shortening their common base (the screw length).

Be sure you work through the kinematics first and understand the motion thoroughly. Then do an analysis of the forces so that you can find the joint forces and thus the link forces for design purposes. Then you will be in a position to do the design.

1. How does a scissor jack lift a car?

A scissor jack works by using the principle of mechanical advantage to lift heavy objects. The jack has two connected arms that form a diamond or "X" shape when fully extended. When the handle is turned, the screw inside the jack rotates and pushes against the arms, causing them to extend and raise the car. This process continues until the car reaches the desired height.

2. How much weight can a scissor jack lift?

The amount of weight a scissor jack can lift depends on the specific model and manufacturer. In general, most scissor jacks can lift around 1-2 tons (2,000-4,000 pounds). However, it is important to always check the weight capacity of the specific jack before using it to lift a heavy object.

3. Can a scissor jack be used on all types of vehicles?

Scissor jacks are designed to be used on most types of vehicles, including cars, SUVs, and light trucks. However, it is important to check the weight capacity and compatibility of the jack with your specific vehicle before using it. Some jacks may not be suitable for larger or heavier vehicles.

4. Is it safe to use a scissor jack to lift a vehicle?

When used properly, a scissor jack can be a safe and effective tool for lifting a vehicle. However, it is important to follow all safety precautions, such as using the jack on a flat and stable surface, placing wheel chocks on the opposite wheels, and never exceeding the weight capacity of the jack. It is also recommended to have someone assist you while using the jack.

5. How do I lower a vehicle using a scissor jack?

To lower a vehicle using a scissor jack, simply turn the handle in the opposite direction to release the pressure on the arms. Make sure to lower the vehicle slowly and carefully, as sudden or uneven lowering can be dangerous. Once the vehicle is safely on the ground, remove the jack and any other equipment before driving away.