Coordinate Geometry: Solving a Question for 0P

• Thread starter Mo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, Mo asked for help finding the distance of point P from the origin and the equation of a line through P that is perpendicular to the line OP. After attempting the problem and asking for clarification, the correct solution was found by using the slope of the line at a 45 degree angle and finding the equation for the perpendicular line through point P.
Mo
Another question here .. i attempted it but did not get the correct answer.I will state the question and the steps i took as well.

QUESTION:
"A line is drawn through the point (2,3) making an angle of 45 degrees with the positive direction of the x-axis, and it meets the line x=6 at P.Find the distance of P from the origin 0, and the equation of the line through P perpendicular to 0P"

Steps i took:

1)Since i have to find out the distance of 0P i need to have the Y value of the point P. I assumed the X value is 6 (well, they tell you that anyway)

2)To work out the Y value of P i figured that it needs to be worked out by using the equation of the line (2,3). (ie substitue in an X value to the equation of the line (2,3) to get the Y value of point P)

3)However, to work out the equation of the line (2,3), i also have to know the gradient.I worked this out to be 3/2 (Is this right?)

4)Next i found the equation of the line (2,3) and then i substitued in the X value of P (6) .I found the Y-value to be 12. (Is this right?)

5)Now i work out the length of the line (0,0)(6,12) , and it comes out to be: squareroot of 180

Hmm .. I am sure all of this is not needed .. i bet (hope/wish) someone will come out with a one line asnwer!

Anyway, any help whatsoever is appreciated

Regards,
Mo

Physics news on Phys.org
Mo said:
1)Since i have to find out the distance of 0P i need to have the Y value of the point P. I assumed the X value is 6 (well, they tell you that anyway)
OK.

2)To work out the Y value of P i figured that it needs to be worked out by using the equation of the line (2,3). (ie substitue in an X value to the equation of the line (2,3) to get the Y value of point P)
OK.

3)However, to work out the equation of the line (2,3), i also have to know the gradient.I worked this out to be 3/2 (Is this right?)
The slope of the line is 1 (it's at a 45 degree angle), so the equation of the line is y = x + 1. (Perhaps you mistakenly thought that the line goes through the origin? That's how you might have gotten slope = 3/2.)

4)Next i found the equation of the line (2,3) and then i substitued in the X value of P (6) .I found the Y-value to be 12. (Is this right?)
No, because you have the wrong equation for the line.

Using the correct equation, the point P is (6,7). So find the distance to the origin.

To find the equation of the line through P that is perpendicular to the line OP, do this: First find the slope of OP; then find the slope of the perpendicular line. Then, using the point P, find the equation for that line.

Doc Al said:
The slope of the line is 1 (it's at a 45 degree angle), so the equation of the line is y = x + 1. (Perhaps you mistakenly thought that the line goes through the origin? That's how you might have gotten slope = 3/2.)

Yes. Thats where i fell down! .All of the questions i have had so far was involving the line going through the origin. But now i see why they said 45 degrees as well.The answer i now get is correct according to the answer sheet.

Thanks for your help again.

Regards,
Mo

1. What is coordinate geometry?

Coordinate geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of geometric figures using coordinates and algebraic equations.

2. How do you solve a question for 0P in coordinate geometry?

To solve a question for 0P, you need to first identify the coordinates of point P and the equation of the line that passes through point P. Then, using the formula for finding the distance between a point and a line, you can find the distance between point P and the line. If the distance is equal to 0, then point P lies on the line.

3. What is the formula for finding the distance between a point and a line in coordinate geometry?

The formula for finding the distance between a point (x1, y1) and a line Ax + By + C = 0 is given by: d = | Ax1 + By1 + C | / √(A^2 + B^2).

4. Can you give an example of solving a question for 0P in coordinate geometry?

Sure, let's say we have a point P(2, 3) and a line 2x + 3y - 5 = 0. We can plug in the coordinates of P into the formula and solve for the distance: d = | 2(2) + 3(3) - 5 | / √(2^2 + 3^2) = 0. Therefore, the point P(2, 3) lies on the line 2x + 3y - 5 = 0.

5. What are some real-life applications of coordinate geometry?

Coordinate geometry has many practical applications, such as in navigation and mapping, computer graphics, and engineering design. It is also used in physics and astronomy to describe the positions of objects in space.