Are ghosts real or just a scientific phenomenon?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of ghosts or apparitions existing and potential scientific explanations for reported sightings. Some suggest drug-induced hallucinations, mental illness, age-related experiences, and neurological conditions as potential explanations. Others mention the influence of reality TV and the power of suggestion. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of testing and proving these claims, and the idea of using advanced brain imaging technologies for lie detection.
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
Well, explain how that would be possible in the Travis Walton case. I use this as an example because it is difficult to imagine any other reasonable explanation, except that it was either an elaborate hoax played by Walton, or they were all lying. What else is possible?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_Walton

Reading this and your previous posts on the TW case, I'm not sure how you feel about it. Are you saying it's credible ?

IMO, it is a not so elaborate hoax. For monetary gain - to invoke the 'act of god clause' because his brother in law was behind in his contractual obligations.

Also, TW's descriptons of the interior of the so called spacecraft , and the aliens, is so 'pop sci fi' it made me chuckle ..

Ivan Seeking said:
IIRC, four of five witnesses passed and the other was hiding a criminal record. But the test could be flawed, so it means nothing.

This is misinformation. Walton himself did not pass the first lie detector test (he passed the subsequent ones though). And the one who administered it said he tried to fool the lie detector. I find it odd that you failed to mention that.

Ivan Seeking said:
I disagree. As I have stated a number of times, there are cases involving multiple witnesses that leave little doubt, if the stories are truthful. The ability to know the memory is real would be even more helpful, but a reliable lie detector could go a long way towards changing the landscape. Again, I cite the Travis Walton case as a great example. And by the way, a lie detector was used in that case. IIRC, four of five witnesses passed and the other was hiding a criminal record. But the test could be flawed, so it means nothing.

A reliable test may not stand as proof of what happened, but stories like this would unavoidably take on much greater credibility if the witnesses could be reliably tested for truthfulness... and they passed.
I always assume people are telling the truth. The assumption, or even proof, someone is telling the truth still says nothing definite about the phenomenon they are reporting.

Every single Indian who saw a portrait by George Catlin saw the same unnerving thing: when they walked from one place to another in front of the portrait the eyes of the portrait followed them. No matter where they stood, the portrait was looking at them.

None were lying, and you know it. BUT the eyes weren't actually moving and you know that as well.

Catlin tried a few times to explain the illusion, but they wouldn't listen, because they had seen the eyes moving with their own eyes! Their conclusion: when he painted someone's portrait he took some of the life out of them and gave it to the picture. That made them afraid of him: he had big mojo!

Chronos said:
'Ghost Hunters' is a good example of the logic [or lack thereof] that relies on 'did you hear/see/feel/smell/taste that?' evidence. Hard to criticize those guys given they made a living off it.
Would you find it "hard to criticize" a person who makes a living by robbing banks or mugging the elderly? In other words, what does "making a living" have to do with it?

micromass said:
This is misinformation. Walton himself did not pass the first lie detector test (he passed the subsequent ones though). And the one who administered it said he tried to fool the lie detector. I find it odd that you failed to mention that.

I didn't say anything about Walton. I was talking about the witnesses, as per this examiners report.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Travis_walton_abduction_polygraph_1.jpg/460px-Travis_walton_abduction_polygraph_1.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/75/Travis_walton_abduction_polygraph_2.jpg/460px-Travis_walton_abduction_polygraph_2.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_Walton

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
I didn't say anything about Walton. I was talking about the witnesses, as per this examiners report.

That's exactly the point. You didn't mention Walton. I still find it odd that you didn't do so.
I don't like it when people omit information to let the case look more plausible. But I'm sure that wasn't your intention.

Ivan Seeking said:
As I said above, polygraphs are not reliable and are not supported by scientific evidence.

HallsofIvy said:
Would you find it "hard to criticize" a person who makes a living by robbing banks or mugging the elderly? In other words, what does "making a living" have to do with it?

Why do you assume there is deception involved?

Ryan_m_b said:
As I said above, polygraphs are not reliable and are not supported by scientific evidence.

I never said they were. I was simply supporting my previous statement which was challenged without due diligence.

Recall that this entire discussion was initiated based on my statement that reliable lie detection would be extremely useful in some cases. This by definition means that we don't have this ability yet.

Ivan Seeking said:
I never said they were. I was simply supporting my previous statement which was challenged without due diligence.

Why did you bring them up then if you knew they were not scientific evidence??

micromass said:
That's exactly the point. You didn't mention Walton. I still find it odd that you didn't do so.
I don't like it when people omit information to let the case look more plausible. But I'm sure that wasn't your intention.

The fact is that you falsely accused me of misinformation, right? At the time I was focusing on the idea of witnesses, and Walton himself remains a question.

My point was to show the value of reliable lie detection. That is the only point I have been trying to make.

I had interest in this subject a few years ago. One of the researches I enjoyed reading on this, is titled Ghost in the Machine (a link). I think that most of you are already aware of the infrasound view on this subject, but do you have any criticism about this research?

CDTOE said:
I had interest in this subject a few years ago. One of the researches I enjoyed reading on this, is titled Ghost in the Machine (a link). I think that most of you are already aware of the infrasound view on this subject, but do you have any criticism about this research?
We had a long thread about Vic Tandy a few years back:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=13559

im new here so forgive me if I am in the wrong thread. but I am curious about the question that started this thread which was as follows...

Don't worry, I'm not one of those wackos trying to convince you ghosts exist. I don't even believe in spirits. What I do believe is that people are really experiencing real things, but I believe that there is a scientific explanation to it all. I'm not a physics wiz, so I'm hoping to get some knowledge from you guys. Is there any possible scientific cause to explain ghosts? By ghosts I mean apparitions, if you will, that appear in human form, and appear and disappear. Thanks, looking for a good SCIENTIFIC answer.

i myself lived in what i believed at the time was a haunted house for ten years. i'll try not to borer with details. but i was 10 at the time and saw and heard footsteps, doors opening and closing, things thrown from cupboards lights going on and off etc. that was 40 years ago and i look back and think it was all just the imagination of a child. even though everyone else in the house experienced the same thing. at my age i just refuse to believe it was super natural. however, a few weeks ago. for the first time in 40 years i seen an apparition. i could describe the (person) in exact detail,, bare feet, middle aged man with short brown hair parted on side wearing brown polyester pants and short sleeve pocketed,yellow button shirt...he took three steps in front of me and then disappeared right in front of my eyes. the person i was with asked me if i had seen it. i said "see what"? they described with the exact detail the same (person ) i saw. i of course lied and said i saw nothing.

at my age i still refuse to believe in the supernatural. but would really like to know if there is any scientific explanation. and I am in greta health so let's try to leave out any menatal issues. i was also sober

I propose this thread is misnamed. Shouldn't it be: Real Dead Ghosts?

PAllen said:
I propose this thread is misnamed. Shouldn't it be: Real Dead Ghosts?
No, the thread title is Real Life Ghosts, not Real Live Ghosts, so the proper correction, if one is needed (which is debatable), would be Real Afterlife Ghosts.

but can you use the word" REAL"

thumpy said:
What I do believe is that people are really experiencing real things, but I believe that there is a scientific explanation to it all. I'm not a physics wiz, so I'm hoping to get some knowledge from you guys. Is there any possible scientific cause to explain ghosts? By ghosts I mean apparitions, if you will, that appear in human form, and appear and disappear. Thanks, looking for a good SCIENTIFIC answer.
Even if we assume that people aren't lying and are in good mental health that doesn't mean their experience was real. It could be a visual illusion (think seeing a person in the corner of your eye that turns out to be a coat on a chair) or even confabulation.

Furthermore most anecdotes of ghostly experience come as you have presented them; many accountings of unexplained noises, movements etc which build up an expectation in the person that something is connecting all these things. This leads to confirmation bias and if there is already the assumption that the supernatural is a valid hypothesis then anything strange is used as evidence for this hypothesis.

If you want a scientific explanation it's not physics you need to look to but psychology and neuroscience.

thumpy said:
for the first time in 40 years i seen an apparition. i could describe the (person) in exact detail,, bare feet, middle aged man with short brown hair parted on side wearing brown polyester pants and short sleeve pocketed,yellow button shirt...he took three steps in front of me and then disappeared right in front of my eyes. the person i was with asked me if i had seen it. i said "see what"? they described with the exact detail the same (person ) i saw. i of course lied and said i saw nothing.

Ryan_m_b said:
Even if we assume that people aren't lying and are in good mental health that doesn't mean their experience was real. It could be a visual illusion (think seeing a person in the corner of your eye that turns out to be a coat on a chair) or even confabulation.

...leads to confirmation bias and if there is already the assumption that the supernatural is a valid hypothesis then anything strange is used as evidence for this hypothesis.

If you want a scientific explanation it's not physics you need to look to but psychology and neuroscience.

His account is far more detailed than a simple flash out of the corner of the eye. Also, he claims two people saw it. How does your explanation speak to his account?

Ivan Seeking said:
His account is far more detailed than a simple flash out of the corner of the eye. Also, he claims two people saw it. How does your explanation speak to his account?
It doesn't but it wasn't intended to (note the section of the post I was responding to). I was addressing supernatural accounts broadly, his account I have no explanation for.

thumpy said:
but can you use the word" REAL"
I reread the opening post a couple times and I think what he implies by using the term "real life" is "non-fictional". "Fictional" would be ghosts as depicted in movies and novels, which, of course, don't have to be debunked, it being understood they're invented for dramatic purposes. "Real life ghosts" are the anecdotes of apparitions that come from "real life" as opposed to movies, etc. The adjective "real" modifies the noun "life", not "ghosts", and the two words together become what's called a compound adjective:

http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/adjectives_compound_adjectives.htm

You can see from that link he should have put a hyphen between "real" and "life" to be completely correct, which would make the corrected thread title, "Real-Life Ghosts". So, you can use the word "real" here, in your compound adjective, without automatically meaning you think the ghosts are real.

Ryan_m_b said:
It doesn't but it wasn't intended to (note the section of the post I was responding to). I was addressing supernatural accounts broadly, his account I have no explanation for.

Just to be clear, the section you selected from thumpy's post actually comes from the OP. Thumpy copied and pasted it without even using quotation marks.

SpringCreek said:
I recommend The Third Man Factor by John Geiger. Here's a synopsis article from the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-felt-sudden-presence-inspiring-survive.html
The sense of a presence is a relatively frequently reported simple partial seizure symptom. I'm glad the article offered the electrically stimulated epileptic woman as evidence this isn't necessarily supernatural at all. This might or might not come into play when someone "sees" a ghost. The erroneously triggered sense of a presence might, in some cases, lead to the visual hallucination of a person.

Ryan_m_b said:

psychologists. i have as much faith in them as i do ghosts.

thumpy said:
psychologists. i have as much faith in them as i do ghosts.
You shouldn't be employing faith anyway to determine truth but if I take it that you meant that as a figure of speech may I humbly suggest that you are suffering from a grave ignorance.

Thanks guy for your help

Ryan_m_b said:
You shouldn't be employing faith anyway to determine truth but if I take it that you meant that as a figure of speech may I humbly suggest that you are suffering from a grave ignorance.

sorry. my exwife left me for a psychologist. i was just venting. besides, psychology suggests ,to me, that its mental. i trjuly do not believe what i saw was imagination. i am, like the person that started this thread, want to try to understand what i physically saw.

thumpy said:
sorry. my exwife left me for a psychologist. i was just venting. besides, psychology suggests ,to me, that its mental. i trjuly do not believe what i saw was imagination. i am, like the person that started this thread, want to try to understand what i physically saw.

There are several possibilities, but you have already stated you don't think it was imaginary or mental, which are the only possibilities that science says there could be. If it was actually a ghost, meaning the spirit of a person who has died, then it is currently beyond science until one can be observed and evidence reliably recorded. Science doesn't say that ghosts CANNOT exist, only that we haven't observed them. We have immense mountains of evidence of other things that have been the cause for some people's alleged ghosts, such as a multitude of mental factors, and based on the available evidence "real ghosts" do not exist. If in the future reliable evidence comes forth that ghosts do in fact exist, then they will be incorporated into the body of knowledge that science helps build and interpret.

thumpy said:
Thumpy, you had a pretty bad experience with a psychologist so you have a bias against psychology. That's pretty psychological, I hope you see. Hehe.

I'm half kidding. But only half. It seems what really probably bothers you about the notion of a "mental" explanation is what bothers everyone about it: it would mean we can't always trust our senses. That's a very hard thing for most people to face. We want to believe our senses give us 100% accurate information, or at least that we can always tell somehow when they aren't, that there's always some clue or tell-tale when we're experiencing an illusion of any kind.

zoobyshoe said:
It seems what really probably bothers you about the notion of a "mental" explanation is what bothers everyone about it: it would mean we can't always trust our senses. That's a very hard thing for most people to face. We want to believe our senses give us 100% accurate information, or at least that we can always tell somehow when they aren't, that there's always some clue or tell-tale when we're experiencing an illusion of any kind.

thats exactly it. if the other person hadnt seen the same thing then i would have thought "great, now I am seeing thing" but i wasnt alone. and since i lied to her and said i didnt see anything there's no way either one of us influenced the other. and her description was so detailed. at firrst when i saw "it" i thought it was a real guy walking towards the car from the left side of the sstreet . about the time he reached the center of the hood he disappeared like a misty cloud of steam. and I am just going insane trying to rationilze it without admitting it was just my imagination. and for the heck of it i had a friend of a freindask a pshycologist about ghosts and he believed in em. so from one pshycologists point of view. ghosts exist.

thumpy said:
thats exactly it. if the other person hadnt seen the same thing then i would have thought "great, now I am seeing thing" but i wasnt alone. and since i lied to her and said i didnt see anything there's no way either one of us influenced the other. and her description was so detailed. at firrst when i saw "it" i thought it was a real guy walking towards the car from the left side of the sstreet . about the time he reached the center of the hood he disappeared like a misty cloud of steam. and I am just going insane trying to rationilze it without admitting it was just my imagination. and for the heck of it i had a friend of a freindask a pshycologist about ghosts and he believed in em. so from one pshycologists point of view. ghosts exist.

Ever seen this Derren Brown demonstration of hypnosis?:

VTobS-09fBQ[/youtube]