Understanding Higgs Mechanism & Its Impact on Particle Mass

In summary, The Higgs mechanism is a theoretical framework in particle physics that explains how particles acquire mass through the interaction with a field called the Higgs field. Its significance lies in its ability to explain the origin of mass and its role in our understanding of fundamental forces and interactions in the universe. The Higgs mechanism was first proposed in the 1960s and was confirmed by the discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012. Its impact on our understanding of the universe includes completing the Standard Model and providing practical applications in technology.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I want to gain an understanding of Higgs mechanism
I know I can't understand it precisely without knowing enough group theory,representation theory and etc. but I just want to have sth like a chronologically ordered list of what happens that separates EM and weak interactions and gives particles their mass.

I've read the wikipedia pages about it but two seemingly different explanations were there(which I think if I knew enough math,could link them)
One says sth like this:
At first there is a Higgs field with non-zero strength in all of space and also other fields all with zero mass,then at a critical temperature the higgs field becomes tachyonic and to become stable,it produces particles called goldstone bosons.These bosons interact with W and Z bosons and give them mass.Fermions also gain mass but with a different method,with Yukawa coupling.

A different explanation which seems to be the mathematical one using group theory,which I don't understand well.But it says sth like this:
SU(2)xU(1) has four generators,three of them break spontaneously and give rise to goldstone bosons which,in turn,interact whit W and Z bosons and give them mass.The fourth generator becomes the Higgs particle.This explanation doesn't say how fermions gain mass.

In addition to what I said in the first paragraph,I also have this question:
Particles are excitations of fields,right?
So Higgs bosons should be excitations of the Higgs field so they should exist before the EWSB and the Higgs particles which appear after that,should be somehow different.right?
But I can't find the answers to above questions

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
in advanceThe Higgs mechanism is a way of giving mass to particles by introducing a field that interacts with them. The mechanism works by spontaneously breaking the symmetry of the electroweak interaction, which is a combination of the electromagnetic and weak nuclear forces. This is accomplished by introducing a new scalar field called the Higgs field, which has a non-zero vacuum expectation value (VEV). This VEV gives mass to the W and Z bosons, which mediate the weak interactions, as well as to some of the quarks and leptons, which are the fermions that make up matter. The Higgs mechanism is based on the idea that some particles have an intrinsic property called mass, which prevents them from travelling at the speed of light. To explain this, physicists postulated the existence of a Higgs field that permeates the universe. This field interacts with certain particles, causing them to acquire a mass. This is known as the Higgs Mechanism. In order for the mechanism to work, it is necessary to introduce a new group of particles: the Higgs bosons. These particles mediate the interaction between the Higgs field and other particles. When the Higgs field acquires a non-zero VEV, the Higgs bosons couple to the other particles, giving them mass. The W and Z bosons gain their mass by the process of spontaneous symmetry breaking. In this process, the symmetry of the electroweak interaction is broken, which causes the W and Z bosons to acquire a mass. Fermions gain their mass through a different mechanism, called the Yukawa coupling. This mechanism involves a coupling between the fermions and the Higgs bosons. As the Higgs bosons interact with the fermions, they give the fermions a mass. In conclusion, the Higgs mechanism is a way of giving mass to particles by introducing a field that interacts with them. The mechanism works by spontaneously breaking the symmetry of the electroweak interaction, which is a combination of the electromagnetic and weak nuclear forces. This is accomplished by introducing a new scalar field called the Higgs field, which has a non-zero vacuum expectation value (VEV). This VEV gives mass to the W and Z bosons, which mediate the weak interactions, as well as to some of the quarks and leptons, which are

1. What is the Higgs mechanism?

The Higgs mechanism is a theoretical framework in particle physics that explains how elementary particles acquire mass. It is based on the existence of a field, called the Higgs field, which permeates the entire universe. The interaction of particles with this field is what gives them mass.

2. How does the Higgs mechanism work?

The Higgs mechanism works by giving particles mass through a process called the Higgs mechanism. In this process, the Higgs field interacts with particles, giving them mass. The more a particle interacts with the Higgs field, the more massive it becomes.

3. What is the significance of the Higgs mechanism in particle physics?

The Higgs mechanism is significant because it is the only known explanation for how particles acquire mass. Before its discovery, the Standard Model of particle physics was unable to explain the origin of mass. The Higgs mechanism also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe.

4. How was the Higgs mechanism discovered?

The Higgs mechanism was first proposed by physicists Robert Brout, François Englert, and Peter Higgs in the 1960s. In 2012, scientists at CERN's Large Hadron Collider confirmed the existence of the Higgs boson, a particle predicted by the Higgs mechanism. The discovery of the Higgs boson provided strong evidence for the existence of the Higgs field and the mechanism itself.

5. What is the impact of the Higgs mechanism on our understanding of the universe?

The Higgs mechanism has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It has helped us explain the origin of mass, complete the Standard Model of particle physics, and provide insights into the fundamental forces that govern our universe. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of technologies like the Higgs boson discovery at the Large Hadron Collider.