Block moving on a circular track-Work energy Circular Motion problem

In summary, the problem involves a block of mass 1 kg, initially at rest at point B, being pulled by a constant horizontal force of magnitude 100 N along a smooth circular track of radius 10 m. The goal is to find the velocity of the block when it reaches point P, making an angle of 60 degrees with the vertical. The work done by the force F is equal to the product of the force and the displacement in the direction of the force, which in this case is 10sin60°. Therefore, the work done is 100 × 10(√3/2). In a related problem, the work done on the block when it rises with height h is zero, as the force and
Tanya Sharma

Homework Statement

A block of mass 1 Kg initially at rest at point B is being pulled by a constant force F= 100N along a smooth circular track of radius 10 m . Find the velocity of the block when it reaches point P making an angle 60 with the vertical.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

KE1+PE1+W[F]=KE2+PE2

Now KE1=PE1=0 assuming reference level to be at B.
KE2=1/2(mv[2]
PE2=mgl(1-cos60°)
W[F]=?

How do we calculate work done by force F? My understanding says that angle between constant force and displacement changes continuously as the block moves along the track.Please help me.Thanks...

Attachments

• block_circular.jpg
    block_circular.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 490
Physics news on Phys.org
F is a conservative force.

No... F is force applied by some external agent.

The block is pulled via a light inextensible string by external force F.

Tanya Sharma said:
How do we calculate work done by force F? My understanding says that angle between constant force and displacement changes continuously as the block moves along the track.
Yes, the angle continually changes but luckily the force is constant. What's the displacement in the direction of that constant force?

Thanks Doc Al ...I have thought about displacement in the direction of constant force but not able to comprehend ...Sorry...please explain

I feel the direction of force is continuously changing as the block moves.

Tanya Sharma said:
I feel the direction of force is continuously changing as the block moves.
So it's not a constant force? Did you misstate something in the problem statement?

Tanya Sharma said:

Homework Statement

A block of mass 1 Kg initially at rest at point B is being pulled by a constant force F= 100N along a smooth circular track of radius 10 m .

Tanya, is the magnitude of the force constant and acting along the track or is it really a constant horizontal force? The drawing suggest a constant horizontal force.

ehild

The block is being pulled by a light inextensible string which passes over a small frictionless massless pulley . The string is pulled by a constant horizontal force of magnitude 100 N .

What i meant by change of direction of force is that the magnitude of tension in the string pulling the block will remain constant but the direction of this tension force changes.Whereas the displacement of the block is always tangential to the circular track.

Tanya Sharma said:
The string is pulled by a constant horizontal force of magnitude 100 N .
Good. So the direction of that force F is kept horizontal. (Makes things easier.)

Tanya Sharma said:
What i meant by change of direction of force is that the magnitude of tension in the string pulling the block will remain constant but the direction of this tension force changes.Whereas the displacement of the block is always tangential to the circular track.
Does the tension do any work on the block?

As far as the work done by that constant force F, go back to my earlier question: What's the displacement in the direction of that constant force?

Please correct me if i am wrong...the constant force is being applied on the string which in turn pulls the block.So , now external force on the block is the tension .Now since the string is massless the force applied on the string = Tension in the string. But the angle between this tension force and the displacement of the block changes continuously isn't it ??

Doc Al ...We have to relate displacement of the block with the tension not the constant horizontal force... isn't it ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Please correct me if i am wrong...the constant force is being applied on the string which in turn pulls the block.So , now external force on the block is the tension .Now since the string is massless the force applied on the string = Tension in the string. But the angle between this tension force and the displacement of the block changes continuously isn't it ??
Yes, you are correct. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to your diagram. (I was thinking of something else. :redface:) Nonetheless, there's a much easier way to solve this and my suggestion stands as is.
Doc Al ...We have to relate displacement of the block with the tension not the constant horizontal force... isn't it ?
Ask yourself: How much work is done on the system by that constant force? That's all you need to know.

Displacement in the direction of constant force should be 10sin60° .Work done accordingly is 100 × 10(√3/2) ? is this the work done ??

Tanya Sharma said:
Displacement in the direction of constant force should be 10sin60° .Work done accordingly is 100 × 10(√3/2) ? is this the work done ??
Exactly. Whatever is exerting that constant force is doing work on the system.

Edit: My mistake! Please use the displacement of the applied force--how much the string moves--not the displacement of the block.

Last edited:
If the work is equal to the product of the force acting on the rope and the displacement of the body in the direction of that force, what is the work done on the block in the picture by the force F when it raises with height h? Is it zero because the force and displacement enclose 90°angle?

ehild

Attachments

• constforce.JPG
    constforce.JPG
    2.9 KB · Views: 414
echild... sir... please help me with the problem...What you have asked ...according to Doc Al... that should be zero...But i feel positive work is done when the block is raised because force acting on block is tension not F.Yes F=T. But It is T which is acting on the block not F... Please help with my problem...

The tension acts along a chord which makes angle β with the tangent of the circle. The work during displacement ds along the arc is Tds cos(β). β=(\pi/3-φ)/2. The total work of the rope is [tex]W=\int_0^{\pi/3}{TR\cos(\pi/6-0.5 \phi)d\phi}[/tex]

There is an easier approach: The rope is pulled by the horizontal constant force F. The end of the rope moves horizontally along a distance L, the work done by the pulling force is FL. The rope is inextensible, so L is equal to the length of the chord between the initial and final position of the block.

ehild

Attachments

• track.JPG
    track.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 430
Tanya Sharma said:
echild... sir... please help me with the problem...What you have asked ...according to Doc Al... that should be zero...But i feel positive work is done when the block is raised because force acting on block is tension not F.Yes F=T. But It is T which is acting on the block not F... Please help with my problem...

You are exactly right. See my next post.

ehild

brilliant...echild...this was what i was looking for :smile:...how have you calculated β ?

sir...how have you calculated β in terms of ∅ ?

beta is the tangent chord angle, half the central angle alpha.
http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/math/geometry/GP15/CircleAngles.htm
Do you understand the other method, too? ehild

Tanya Sharma said:
echild... sir... please help me with the problem...What you have asked ...according to Doc Al... that should be zero...
Not at all. The force applied times the displacement of the point of application of that force is certainly not zero.
But i feel positive work is done when the block is raised because force acting on block is tension not F.Yes F=T. But It is T which is acting on the block not F... Please help with my problem...
It's an excellent exercise to think in terms of the tension and compute the work done by that force directly. But there's an easier way.

echild...i perfectly understand the first method...regarding second method...work done by pulling force is FL which is work done on the system...but system comprises of block and string wherein string is massless so its mechanical energy is zero .Total energy of system is equal to total energy of block ...?am i right ...this means if the string were having mass then we would not be able to apply the second method?because here

because here tension on the block would not be equal to the force applied on the string...please reply

Yikes! Silly me. Earlier I meant to use the displacement of the applied force and not that of the block. My apologies. (Can I blame it on lack of sufficiently strong coffee? :redface:)

Tanya Sharma said:
because here tension on the block would not be equal to the force applied on the string...please reply

You are right again. If the string has mass, the force have to accelerate it. There would act different forces at the ends of a the string.

So what is L? how is it related to the radius and the 60°angle?
Can you do the integral method? You will see that both methods give the same result.

ehild

Doc Al said:
Yikes! Silly me. Earlier I meant to use the displacement of the applied force and not that of the block. My apologies. (Can I blame it on lack of sufficiently strong coffee? :redface:)

Well, have you got that coffee since then? :smile: You totally confused me, so as I deleted my post and had to rewrite it when the example of the simple pulley occurred to me. And I was surprised by the result of the integral method. (I blame it to the hot damp weather here. It is difficult to think.)

ehild

Tanya Sharma said:
echild...i perfectly understand the first method...regarding second method...work done by pulling force is FL which is work done on the system...but system comprises of block and string wherein string is massless so its mechanical energy is zero .Total energy of system is equal to total energy of block ...?am i right ...this means if the string were having mass then we would not be able to apply the second method?because here

When you calculate the speed of the block, do not forget the work of gravity. The change of KE is equal to the work of all forces...

ehild

echild ...thanks a ton... what an explanation...u have made physics enjoyable...i m very very grateful:smile:

thanks to Doc Al ...u were correct but the language confused me...

Thanks Tania. You are really very kind. I am pleased that you feel Physics enjoyable. It is.
Remember Doc Al sentence: The work done on a system by a force is
The force applied times the displacement of the point of application of that force
. It is very important.

ehild

ehild said:
Well, have you got that coffee since then? :smile: You totally confused me, so as I deleted my post and had to rewrite it when the example of the simple pulley occurred to me. And I was surprised by the result of the integral method. (I blame it to the hot damp weather here. It is difficult to think.)

ehild
Sorry about that, ehild! And yes, I've been drinking a lot of coffee since then. :tongue:

Doc Al said:
Sorry about that, ehild! And yes, I've been drinking a lot of coffee since then. :tongue:

Take care, too much coffee is bad to hearth. (I also had a coffee since then. :biggrin: )

ehild

1. What is the concept behind a block moving on a circular track?

The concept behind a block moving on a circular track is circular motion, which is the movement of an object along a circular path. This motion is caused by a force acting towards the center of the circle, known as centripetal force.

2. How is work related to the block's motion on a circular track?

Work is related to the block's motion on a circular track through the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In this case, the work done by the centripetal force is equal to the change in the block's kinetic energy.

3. What is the role of energy in this problem?

Energy plays a crucial role in this problem as it is what allows the block to move on the circular track. The centripetal force converts the block's potential energy into kinetic energy, allowing it to maintain its circular motion.

4. How does the radius of the circular track affect the block's motion?

The radius of the circular track directly affects the block's motion as it determines the magnitude of the centripetal force. A larger radius will result in a smaller centripetal force, while a smaller radius will result in a larger centripetal force.

5. Can the block's speed on the circular track be constant?

Yes, the block's speed on the circular track can be constant as long as the centripetal force remains constant. This can be achieved by maintaining a constant radius and a constant force acting towards the center of the circle.