What exactly is a 2nd order differential equation?

In summary, first order differential equations model the rate of change, while second order differential equations describe the rate of rate of change. Second order ODEs have various applications in classical physics, such as modeling the motion of objects under the influence of gravity or electrical circuits with an inductor, resistor, and capacitor. A real-life example of a second order DE is the RLC circuit, which can be derived step by step using the basic physics law "force= mass times acceleration".
Venomily
A first order DE models the rate of change, e.g. when decay is proportional to time we have the DE: dM/dt = -K.M; this is describing that rate of change mathematically. Am I correct in saying that a 2nd order DE describes the rate of rate of change?

Also, can anyone explain any application of 2nd order DEs to me? I understand it mathematically, but I am interested in how it works in practice like that decay example I pointed out above, hence this post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Venomily said:
Also, can anyone explain any application of 2nd order DEs to me?
Classical physics is chock full of second order ODEs. F=ma, for example.

D H said:

Not to mention electrical circuits with an inductor, resistor, and capacitor.

D H said:

Mark44 said:
Not to mention electrical circuits with an inductor, resistor, and capacitor.

Thanks, but can you go through an example with me? actually point out a real life application (which you guys did) but also deriving a 2nd order DE to model it step by step.

If you throw a ball directly upward with initial speed 10 m/s, the basic physics law is "force= mass times acceleration". In this case, the only force (neglecting air resistance) is gravity: -mg. Since acceleration is the second derivative of the position function, taking x to be the height above the ground at time t, we have the differential equation
[tex]m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= -mg[/tex]
with initial conditions x(0)= 0, x'(0)= 10.

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function, its derivatives, and independent variables. It represents the relationship between a quantity and its rate of change over time, and is commonly used to model physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What is the difference between a 1st and 2nd order differential equation?

The main difference between a 1st and 2nd order differential equation is the number of derivatives involved. A 1st order differential equation has one derivative, while a 2nd order differential equation has two. This means that a 1st order equation describes the change of a single quantity, while a 2nd order equation describes the change of the rate of change of a quantity.

3. How do you solve a 2nd order differential equation?

Solving a 2nd order differential equation involves finding a function that satisfies the given equation. This can be done by using various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or the method of undetermined coefficients. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to approximate a solution.

4. What are the applications of 2nd order differential equations?

2nd order differential equations have a wide range of applications in science and engineering. They are commonly used to model physical systems such as motion, population growth, and electrical circuits. They are also used in fields such as economics, biology, and chemistry to study various phenomena and make predictions.

5. Can a 2nd order differential equation have more than two derivatives?

Yes, a 2nd order differential equation can have any number of derivatives, but it is still considered a 2nd order equation as long as the highest derivative present is of order 2. For example, a 2nd order differential equation with four derivatives would be written as d4y/dx4 = f(x).