Differentiating a 1st order ODE: really dumb question

In summary, the original equation, given the solution above, is true, but the solution to the new equation, given the same solution, is not.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Suppose I have a really simple first order linear ODE like:$$\dot{\omega} = -k\omega$$ where k is some constant, ω(t) is a function of time that I want to solve for, and the overdot denotes the derivative w.r.t. time. This is really easy to solve, and we all know that with the initial condition ω(0) = ω0, the solution is given by ω(t) = ω0exp(-kt). Now, I was thinking. You can find a solution that makes this equation true. If this equation is true, then if I differentiate both sides, then the result should also be true right :uhh: (realizes there may be some sketchy reasoning here). So if I differentiate both sides, I get$$\ddot{\omega} = -k\dot{\omega}$$If the first ODE was true given the solution above, this ODE should also be true given that solution. And that is the case, because for that solution, ##\ddot{\omega} = k^2\omega = -k\dot{\omega}##. Now, if I use the symbol ##\alpha## to denote ##\dot{\omega}## then the equation is $$\dot{\alpha} = -k\alpha$$The solution to *this* equation, assuming an initial condition of α(0) = α0, is, of course, α(t) = α0exp(-kt). Now, if I solve for ω(t) by integrating α(t), still assuming that ω(0) = ω0, then I get:$$\omega(t) - \omega_0 = \int_0^t \alpha_0\exp(-kt^\prime)\,dt^\prime$$ $$\omega(t) = \omega_0 + \frac{\alpha_0}{k}[1 - \exp(-kt)] $$So, this solution doesn't have the same form as the original ω(t). What stupid thing have I overlooked here? :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
What you've overlooked is that [itex]\alpha_0[/itex] is not a free variable. It is instead given by [itex]\alpha_0 = -k\omega_0[/itex]. Substitute this into your second [itex]\omega(t)[/itex] and tada! you recover the first one.

Thanks for the help! This occurred to me on the walk home. I kind of wish it had occurred to me before posting, but posting definitely helped me sort things out.

1. What is a 1st order ODE?

A 1st order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a type of differential equation that involves only one independent variable and its derivative. It is called "first order" because it involves only the first derivative of the dependent variable.

2. How do you differentiate a 1st order ODE?

The process of differentiating a 1st order ODE involves using methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution to isolate the dependent variable and its derivative. Then, the derivative can be calculated using standard differentiation rules.

3. Why is it important to differentiate a 1st order ODE?

Differentiating a 1st order ODE allows us to find the rate of change of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable. This is crucial in many scientific and mathematical applications, such as modeling physical systems or solving optimization problems.

4. Can you give an example of a 1st order ODE?

One example of a 1st order ODE is the logistic equation, which models population growth and is given by dP/dt = kP(1-P/K), where P is the population, t is time, k is a constant, and K is the carrying capacity.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for differentiating a 1st order ODE?

There are some common techniques that can be used to solve certain types of 1st order ODEs, such as using the method of integrating factors for equations that are not exact. However, there is no one-size-fits-all shortcut for differentiating a 1st order ODE, and the best approach may vary depending on the specific equation at hand.