Adding parallel current sources?

In summary, in the red circuit "A" you can only add current sources when they are connected in parallel between the same nodes.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

I am somewhat confused about when you can add parallel current sources:
kUQ7a.png

Are the sources in the diagram I drew - A - in parallel? To me they look like they are but I am not sure... Is there an easy way to visualize these problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
theBEAST said:

Homework Statement

kUQ7a.png

Are the sources in the diagram I drew - A - in parallel? To me they look like they are but I am not sure... Is there an easy way to visualize these problems?

They are not. Parallel connection of either resistors or sources means that they have two pairs of terminals in common. There is a resistor connected between the upper terminals of the sources in figure A, so those terminals are not common.

ehild

theBEAST said:

Homework Statement

kUQ7a.png

Your diagram has the power supply missing, but assuming it is meant to be on the right - as in the original - you cannot just combine the two like you could in the first.

To redraw, I could imagine the V- is pulled ot to the extreme left, while the V+ is pulled to the right, then each component arranged horizontal.

In case 1:

I would then have:

V- on the left, with the wire from it splitting into two branches.
The bottom branch has the 8kΩ resistor then meets a coming together leading to the V+ on the right.
The upper branch first splits into 3 branches - with a diode, a 4kΩ and a diode on those branches. those branches come back together to a single wire which passes through a 4kΩ resistor before rejoining the bottom branch and thence to V+

The three components, shown on the left of the original circuit diagram, and now clearly seen to be in parallel with each other. Through that three-some flows 2 mA, 2mA plus what ever gets through the 4kΩ resistor - with all that current going on to flow through the second 4kΩ resistor. That mans the 2 x 2mA currents could be considered as a single 4mA current.

In case 2, if you re-draw it in a similar way the circuit would appear as 3 overall branches, with the top branch splitting into two before rejoining and passing through a 4kΩ resistor.

In that case the two diodes are completely separated, and you cannot add the 2 x 2mA to form a single 4mA

You can only add current sources when they are connected in parallel between the same nodes. In the red circuit "A" they aren't connected to the same nodes.

To solve the red circuit "A" I would note that there are two loops one on the left and one on the right of the circuit. So it's easy to work out the voltage on the vertical resistors.

Vleft = 0.002 x 4000 = 8V

Vright = 0.002 x 8000 = 16V

So voltage drop across middle horizontal 4K resistor is 16-8 = 8V

Yes, the sources in the diagram you drew are in parallel. Parallel current sources are two or more current sources that are connected to the same two nodes in a circuit. They can be added together as long as they have the same direction and magnitude. This means that the total current in the circuit will be the sum of the individual current sources.

One way to visualize parallel current sources is to think of them as multiple water pumps connected to the same pipe. Each pump adds its own flow of water to the pipe, resulting in a larger overall flow. Similarly, each parallel current source adds its own current to the circuit, resulting in a larger overall current.

It's important to note that parallel current sources can only be added if they are in the same branch of the circuit. If they are in different branches, then they cannot be added and the total current will be the sum of the individual currents in each branch.

In summary, adding parallel current sources is a valid operation as long as they are in the same branch and have the same direction and magnitude. Visualizing them as multiple water pumps connected to a pipe can help to understand this concept.

1. What are parallel current sources?

Parallel current sources are two or more independent current sources that are connected in parallel to the same nodes in a circuit. They have the same voltage across them but provide different amounts of current to the circuit.

2. Why would you want to add parallel current sources?

Adding parallel current sources can increase the total current available to a circuit, allowing for more power to be delivered to the load. It can also provide redundancy in case one source fails.

3. How do you calculate the total current in a circuit with parallel current sources?

To calculate the total current, you simply add the individual currents from each source. This is because the voltage across parallel sources is the same and current is additive in parallel circuits.

4. What happens if the current sources have different values?

If the current sources have different values, the source with the higher current will provide the majority of the current to the circuit. The lower current source will only contribute a small portion to the total current.

5. Can parallel current sources be connected in any order?

Yes, parallel current sources can be connected in any order without affecting the overall circuit. This is because the voltage across them is the same and the total current is the sum of their individual currents.