Resource for chemistry letter and symbol definitions/values in equations

In summary, the student is attempting to understand what different letters and symbols in formulas and equations mean and how they are used together. The student's chemistry teacher does not provide a clear explanation of how different rates constants, activation energies, and temperatures are used together in formulas. The teacher instead assigns arbitrary numbers to equations and expects the students to figure out what the numbers represent. The student has not been able to find any resources that can help him understand what he is doing in class. The student has been successful in finding additional resources online that explain the meanings of the different letters and symbols.
Ascendant78

Homework Statement

I have a chemistry teacher who discourages students from asking questions (long story, but he's just not a good teacher). We have an online textbook, which fails to explain a lot when it comes to formulas. One thing I want to understand is what the different letters and symbols in formulas and equations mean. Like when I see a "Q" or a "Δ" in a formula, I'd like to know what those things actually mean. I don't feel like memorizing a formula does me much good if I don't know exactly what those formulas are looking for, and feel I will gain a much better understanding of the material if I understood how different aspects of chemistry are formulated together in the different equations. In both chem I and II, all our teacher does is hand us formulas, then has us plug arbitrary numbers into those formulas, but doesn't explain what those numbers actually represent, so none of us really have any idea what we are actually calculating.

Homework Equations

e-(Ea/8.314T)
ln [A] = –kt + ln [A]o
k=Ae^(-Ea/RT)

These are just a couple, but I don't know what the "e" "k" "t" "o in [A]o" "R" or "T" means.

The Attempt at a Solution

Asking my teacher has proven futile, and I am in a small school so not sure who else would be good to ask. I have tried a web search to no avail and checked my local library and bookstore to no avail as well. I am open to any materials I could get my hands on that will help me to know what it is that I'm actually calculating so I may better understand what I am doing.

Physics news on Phys.org
e - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_(mathematical_constant)
(note: what you wrote is wrong, correct formula is [itex]e^{\frac{-E_a}{8.314T}}[/itex], where 8.314 is a value of R)

k is a rate constant (in this context)

Ea is an activation energy

t is time

[A]0 means concentration at t=0 (initial)

R is the ideal gas constant

T is temperature

There IS something very wrong about the situation you describe and about things you don't know, but I have no idea whom/what to blame.

Thanks for filling me in on that information. I did manage to find some additional information on the matter. The key word I was missing was "reference". Once I typed that into the search engines along with chemistry, I found a handful of useful reference charts, lists, etc., that has all of the information.

Anyway, our professor at our college is one of those types who is extremely intelligent, but has absolutely no social skills and is not good at conveying what he is trying to say to others. He is confusing, because he tries to be nice by baking us cookies from time to time, tries to tell jokes here and there (that usually fail miserably), and in some ways comes off as real nice. However, if you ask a question in class, his first step is to demean or belittle you in some way, then he will answer the question in such a convoluted way you can't understand it or will wander off on a tangent without ever even answering your question. A lot of students are very frustrated with him, and I am literally the only person in my class who got an A in Chem I last semester. Anyway, I really don't mind the situation so long as I have resources outside of class that I can utilize to gain a better understanding. Thanks again for the help.

What is the purpose of a resource for chemistry letter and symbol definitions/values in equations?

A resource for chemistry letter and symbol definitions/values in equations is a tool that provides a comprehensive list of the letters and symbols used in chemistry equations, along with their corresponding definitions and values. This resource is useful for students and researchers to quickly and accurately understand and use chemistry equations in their studies and experiments.

Where can I find a reliable resource for chemistry letter and symbol definitions/values in equations?

There are several reliable resources available for chemistry letter and symbol definitions/values in equations. These include textbooks, online databases, and scientific journals. It is important to use reputable sources to ensure the accuracy and credibility of the information.

What are some common symbols and their meanings in chemistry equations?

Some common symbols used in chemistry equations include:

• H: Hydrogen
  • O: Oxygen
  • C: Carbon
  • N: Nitrogen
  • Na: Sodium
  • Cl: Chlorine
These symbols represent elements, and their meanings can vary depending on their placement and combination in an equation. It is important to refer to a resource for specific definitions and values.

How do I use a resource for chemistry letter and symbol definitions/values in equations?

To use a resource for chemistry letter and symbol definitions/values in equations, simply refer to the list or database for the specific letter or symbol you need to understand. The resource will provide the definition and value, and may also include examples of how it is used in equations. You can also use the resource to check your own equations for accuracy.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using chemistry letter and symbol definitions/values in equations?

One common mistake to avoid is misinterpreting the meaning or value of a letter or symbol. It is important to carefully refer to the resource and double check your equations to ensure accuracy. Additionally, make sure to use the correct symbols for each element, as there can be slight variations or differences in notation.