Can I Convert Moles Between Products?

In summary, the problem assigned is to find the amount of mol of C produced when starting with 0.320 mol of D in a chemical equation. The solution involves converting between C and D using the ratio of 2 mol C to 3 mol D. The conversation also clarifies that it is possible to convert between C and D, but the wording of the problem may be improved.
rakeru

Homework Statement

Hi! I was assigned a problem for chemistry like this:

2 A + B → 2 C + 3 D

It asks to find mol of C if you start with 0.320 mol D..

Can I convert between C and D? I know that I can convert between A and B.. but I'm not sure about C and D.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I can do that, then it's:

(0.320 mol D)(2 mol C/3 mol D)= 0.213 mol C
??

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations are correct, but I don't like wording of the problem. It should be more like "how much C is produced together with 0.320 moles of D, if the reaction equation is..."

Oh, so its possible. :D Thanks! Sorry if I worded it weirdly.. I can't remember the exact words from the problem..

1. Can I convert moles between different chemical compounds?

Yes, you can convert moles between different chemical compounds using the mole ratio. This is determined by the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. The mole ratio can be used to convert the number of moles of one compound to the number of moles of another compound in the reaction.

2. What is the formula for converting moles between products?

The formula for converting moles between products is: moles of one compound / mole ratio = moles of another compound. This formula is based on the principle of conservation of mass, where the number of moles of each element in a reaction must remain constant.

3. Can I use the same mole ratio for all conversions?

No, the mole ratio used for converting moles between products will vary depending on the specific reaction and the compounds involved. It is important to use the mole ratio from the balanced chemical equation for the specific reaction you are working with.

4. How do I calculate the mole ratio?

The mole ratio can be calculated by looking at the coefficients of the balanced chemical equation. The coefficient of a compound represents the number of moles of that compound in the reaction. The mole ratio is determined by dividing the coefficients of the compounds you are converting between.

5. Is converting moles between products the same as converting between grams?

No, converting moles between products is not the same as converting between grams. Moles are a unit of measurement for the amount of a substance, while grams are a unit of measurement for mass. Converting between moles and grams requires an additional step of using the molar mass of the compound to convert between the two units.