Is hybridization the result of electron promotion?

In summary, hybridization is a mathematical concept that involves combining orbitals of similar energies to create new orbitals. This process is related to the promotion of electrons, as it involves orbitals with different values of l and energy. However, it is important to note that hybridization is an approximation that neglects electron-electron interactions. In some cases, hybridization can occur without the need for electron promotion, as seen in certain examples. Therefore, promotion may not always be necessary for hybridization to take place.
mcfaker
Hi,

I wonder if hybridization occurs due to the promotion of electrons?

If the promotion would not occur, neither would hybridization?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
At its base, hybridization is a mathematical construction, where linear combinations of orbitals (of similar energies) are use to create new orbitals.

From the point of view of electrons, as it involves orbitals with different values of l, thus of different energy, it is in a sense related to the promotion of electrons.

So yes, I would say that hybridization requires promotion. But remember that it is just an approximation, based single-electron orbitals, neglecting electron-electron interactions.

Hi, acutally I came to the conclusion that my previous statement might not be true afterall, because I found the following example in which no promotion occurs and still hybridization takes place:

3579e5826a734e9ffb62f21ba8eb1a19.png

Does this mean promotion does not have to occur for hybridization?

1. What is hybridization?

Hybridization is a process in which the atomic orbitals of different atoms mix to form new hybrid orbitals. This occurs when atoms come together to form a molecule, and it allows for the formation of stronger and more stable bonds.

2. How does hybridization occur?

Hybridization occurs when the energy levels of orbitals in different atoms are similar enough that they can mix together to form new orbitals. This can happen through electron promotion, where electrons are excited to higher energy levels, or through electron sharing, where electrons are shared between atoms.

3. Is hybridization the result of electron promotion?

Yes, hybridization can occur through electron promotion. When an electron is excited to a higher energy level, it can then mix with the orbitals of another atom, resulting in hybridization.

4. What are the benefits of hybridization?

Hybridization allows for the formation of stronger and more stable bonds, which can result in more stable molecules. It also allows for the formation of new types of bonds, such as sigma and pi bonds, which are important for the structure and function of organic molecules.

5. Does hybridization occur in all molecules?

No, hybridization does not occur in all molecules. It is most commonly seen in organic molecules, but can also occur in inorganic molecules. The type and extent of hybridization depends on the specific atoms and bonds present in the molecule.