Organic chemistry addition reaction

In summary, the student was unsure of question number 8 on their exam and made a quick decision to do an alkyl shift instead of a hydride shift due to time constraints. They are unsure of the product but believe the positive charge would migrate to the nearest tertiary carbon to form a tetra substituted alkene. It is possible that the professor may have made a correction and the necessary hydride shift was shown in the picture provided.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

nmat0l.jpg

Number 8 is the one I was unsure of in my exam.

I know a hydride shift would give it a better carbocation, however it was not tetra hedral, so I panicked, and quickly did a alkyl shift, it worked out on the exam, but I was on the verge of running out of time so I did not really check.

What do you think?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Mdhiggenz said:

Homework Statement

nmat0l.jpg
Number 8 is the one I was unsure of in my exam.

I know a hydride shift would give it a better carbocation, however it was not tetra hedral, so I panicked, and quickly did a alkyl shift, it worked out on the exam, but I was on the verge of running out of time so I did not really check.

What do you think?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not understand what you mean by "it was not tetrahedral", are you talking about the carbocation? If so, carbocations are never tetrahedral.

I am not sure what could be the product but I think the positive charge migrates to the nearest tertiary carbon and give a tetra substituted alkene.

Mmdhiggenz

The picture does seem to show the necessary hydride shift ( probably a correction by your professor)

1. What is an addition reaction in organic chemistry?

An addition reaction in organic chemistry is a type of chemical reaction in which two or more molecules combine to form a single, larger molecule. This process involves the breaking of double or triple bonds in the reactant molecules and the formation of new single bonds between the atoms. Addition reactions are commonly used to synthesize new compounds and are an important aspect of organic chemistry.

2. What are the types of addition reactions in organic chemistry?

There are three main types of addition reactions in organic chemistry: electrophilic addition, nucleophilic addition, and radical addition. Electrophilic addition involves the addition of an electrophile, or electron-deficient species, to a double or triple bond. Nucleophilic addition, on the other hand, involves the addition of a nucleophile, or electron-rich species, to a double or triple bond. Radical addition occurs when free radicals combine to form a new molecule.

3. How do addition reactions differ from substitution reactions in organic chemistry?

Addition reactions involve the formation of new chemical bonds between the reactant molecules, while substitution reactions involve the replacement of an atom or group of atoms in a molecule with a different atom or group. Additionally, addition reactions typically involve the breaking of multiple bonds, while substitution reactions usually involve the breaking of a single bond.

4. What are some common examples of addition reactions in organic chemistry?

Some common examples of addition reactions in organic chemistry include the hydration of alkenes to form alcohols, the hydrogenation of alkenes to form alkanes, and the addition of hydrogen halides to alkenes to form alkyl halides. Other examples include the addition of water to alkynes to form ketones or aldehydes and the addition of ammonia to alkenes to form amines.

5. How are addition reactions important in the pharmaceutical industry?

Addition reactions play a crucial role in the pharmaceutical industry as they are used to synthesize new compounds and create drug molecules. By carefully controlling the reactants and reaction conditions, chemists can create specific addition reactions to form desired products. Addition reactions are also used in drug development to modify existing drug molecules and improve their effectiveness or reduce side effects.