Absoprtion specrum, identifying the 1 electon atom

• Thread starter CV101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom
In summary, the conversation is about identifying an unknown one electron ion based on its observed absorption spectrum. The energies of some transitions from the lowest energy level are listed, but the list is not complete. The problem involves using the equation Delta E = Rh (1/nf^2 - 1/ni^2) and finding Z from the given data. The person asking for help is struggling to find Z and is unsure if a numerical answer is required.
CV101

Homework Statement

The energies of some transitions observed in the absorption spectrum of an unknown one electron ion ( eg He+) are listed. Given that these transitions originate from the lowest energy level suggest an identification of the unknown ion

UNKNOWN ION (CM^-1)

Homework Equations

ok, i am using Delta E = Rh (1/nf^2 - 1/ni^2) where f stands for final and i for initial

The Attempt at a Solution

the problem is that I am not getting numbers close to integer values. I am not sure if the q even requires a numerical answer, as 3 ionisation energies must mean that the element is Be. I really don't know where to start. pls help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
These are "some transitions", so it is not a complete list of three ionization energies.

Obvious line of attack is to try to find Z from the data given.

How?

how would you find z? sorry, I have no clue

1. What is an absorption spectrum?

An absorption spectrum is a graphical representation of the wavelengths of light that are absorbed by a substance. It is created by passing a beam of white light through the substance and recording which wavelengths are absorbed. The resulting spectrum shows dark bands or lines where the light has been absorbed.

2. How is an absorption spectrum used to identify a one-electron atom?

An absorption spectrum can be used to identify a one-electron atom by analyzing the pattern of absorption lines. Each element has a unique set of electron energy levels, which correspond to specific wavelengths of light that are absorbed. By matching the absorption lines in the spectrum to known energy levels, the element present in the sample can be identified.

3. What information can be obtained from an absorption spectrum?

An absorption spectrum can provide information about the electronic structure of a substance. It can also be used to identify the presence of specific elements or compounds, as each one has a distinct absorption pattern. Additionally, the intensity of the absorption lines can indicate the concentration of a substance in a sample.

4. How is an absorption spectrum different from an emission spectrum?

An absorption spectrum shows the wavelengths of light that are absorbed by a substance, while an emission spectrum shows the wavelengths of light that are emitted by a substance. In an emission spectrum, the substance is excited and then emits light as it returns to its ground state, resulting in bright lines. In an absorption spectrum, the substance is not excited, and the dark lines indicate the wavelengths of light that are absorbed.

5. What factors can affect the absorption spectrum of a substance?

The absorption spectrum of a substance can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the physical state of the substance. The chemical environment and the presence of other substances can also alter the absorption spectrum. Additionally, the type and energy of the incident light can affect the absorption spectrum, as different wavelengths of light have different energies and can interact differently with the electrons in the substance.