Differential Equations: Find all solutions of these equations

In summary, the conversation discusses three differential equations and a proof involving polynomial solutions. The first equation involves moving ycos(t) to the other side, while the second equation is solved by integrating. The third equation involves trigonometry and the conversation's participant is uncertain about how to proceed. The fourth problem is also challenging and the participant is seeking help with it.
ballajr

Homework Statement

1) y' + ycos(t) = 0
2) y' - 2yt = 0
3) y'tan(t) + ysec2(t) = 0

4) Let p(x) be an arbitrary polynomial function. Note that the following is a polynomial
solution to y" = p(x) + y:

y = -p - p" - p(4) - p(6) - ... - p(n)

where n is the smallest positive even integer such that p(n+1) is the zero polynomial.
Prove that the following differential equation has a polynomial solution:

y''' = p(x) + 2y

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) First, I tried moving the ycos(t) to the right, but I don't know where to go from there.
y' = ycos(t)

2) I moved 2ty to the right. Integrated it.
y' = 2ty

3) This one is just a beast. I was never good at trigonometry. I moved the ysec^2t over to the right and canceled out the trig functions to get down to this:
y' = ysec(t)

I don't know where to go from here.

4) I don't even know how to go about doing this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
All three of them can be solved by separation of variables. That is if we have a diff. eq of the form:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=H(y,t)[/tex]

we say it is a separable diff. eq. if [tex]H(y,t)=\frac{f(t)}{g(y)}[/tex].

Try to do simmilar stuff with your particular functions. You've got the first step right for the 1st: moving ycos(t) to the other side(be careful of the sign though). what next? also good job with the 2nd.

Oh okay. There's going to be more than one solution for all three of those right? My teacher likes to trick us like that. The second one i haven't solved yet. The fourth one is a bit confusing. I need some help with that.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It describes the relationship between the function and its derivatives, and is commonly used in mathematical models to study physical phenomena.

2. What is the process for solving a differential equation?

The process for solving a differential equation involves finding the general solution, which is a family of solutions that satisfies the equation. This is typically done by using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors, among others.

3. How do I know if I have found all the solutions to a differential equation?

In general, it is difficult to determine if all solutions have been found. However, for certain types of differential equations, such as linear equations, it is possible to determine if all solutions have been found by checking if the equation satisfies certain conditions.

4. Can differential equations be solved numerically?

Yes, differential equations can be solved numerically using methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and finite difference methods. These methods involve approximating the solution at discrete points and are useful when an analytical solution is not possible.

5. How are differential equations used in real-world applications?

Differential equations are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and predict the behavior of systems such as population growth, heat transfer, and electrical circuits.