Is Bohr's Model Accurate for the Hydrogen Atom?

• Thread starter rumaithya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy of Bohr's model in reflecting the energy aspects of the hydrogen atom. Some doubt is expressed and evidence is requested. However, it is noted that Bohr's model was able to accurately predict the energy levels of hydrogen atoms, but not for other elements. Some specific examples of discrepancies between experimental data and Bohr's predictions are mentioned. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to look up Bohr's rules for further information.
rumaithya
Does Bohr's Model appear to accurately reflect the energy aspects of the hydrogen atom ?

I need an evidence to support the answer. :confused:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am going by memory, so don't trust me on this...

Bohr's model, which preceded the Schodinger equation, was able to give fairly accurate differences between energy levels of electrons making a transition between different principle quantum numbers. This was around the time of the First World War. As experimental techniques of spectroscopy improved, more discrepancies were found between experimental data and the predictions of the Bohr model. I am thinking of things like: Zeeman effect, anomalous Zeeman effect, hyperfine structure, and Lamb shift.

Others here will know more details on this.

EDITED: Spelling: Zeeman, not Zeman.

Last edited:
I forget what Bohr's rules were but he was accurately able to predict the energy levels of the hydrogen atom. But only for hydrogen.

Look up his rules...
They're something like (1/n) + (1/n+1) = 1 or something.

I remember doing an experiment in my lab and the energy levels he predicted using his rule were experimentally proven to be correct. I'm tired and am having trouble remembering what we did but a simple search should answer this question.

Thank you all .. That helped me a lot :)

1. Is Bohr's Model still relevant in modern science?

Yes, Bohr's Model is still relevant in modern science as it provides a simplified explanation of the structure of the hydrogen atom and helps understand the behavior of electrons in other atoms as well.

2. What are the limitations of Bohr's Model?

Bohr's Model only accurately predicts the behavior of single-electron atoms like hydrogen. It does not take into account the wave-like nature of electrons and does not fully explain the behavior of multi-electron atoms.

3. How does Bohr's Model explain the stability of the hydrogen atom?

Bohr's Model suggests that electrons in the hydrogen atom orbit the nucleus in specific energy levels, with the lowest energy level being the most stable. Electrons can only transition between energy levels by absorbing or emitting a specific amount of energy.

4. Can Bohr's Model accurately predict the energy levels of the hydrogen atom?

Yes, Bohr's Model can accurately predict the energy levels of the hydrogen atom, as confirmed by experimental results. However, it does not provide a complete understanding of the energy levels in multi-electron atoms.

5. How does Bohr's Model explain the emission spectrum of the hydrogen atom?

Bohr's Model explains the emission spectrum of the hydrogen atom by stating that when an electron transitions from a higher energy level to a lower one, it releases energy in the form of a photon with a specific wavelength, resulting in the characteristic line spectrum of hydrogen.