Shared partition in dual boot

In summary, the individual has set up a dual boot system with WinXP and Fedora Core 6, using a FAT32 partition to transfer data between the two. However, there is a limitation of 8 character filenames in this setup. They are considering setting up a fileserver or using a program like ntfs-3g to access the partitions. Neutrino has suggested a solution and the individual also mentions being able to read and write data on NTFS partitions using linux live CDs. They suggest zipping files with long names as a workaround for the filename limitation.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So I've set up my computer to dual boot into WinXP or Fedora Core 6. As recommended by some walkthroughs I found, I've created a FAT32 partition for passing data back and forth between WinXP and linux.

Alas, it only has 8 character filename support.

I would like to have a partition for actually sharing data -- I consider this setup broken, because of the filename limitation. But do I have other options?

I may be able to set up an old computer as a fileserver if necessary -- but I would like a single-computer solution if possible.

Computer science news on Phys.org
If it helps, I use ntfs-3g to access NTFS partitions in XP from Ubuntu, and fs-driver to access my Ubuntu partition from XP. I can read and write data to the partitions in both cases. I'm not sure about any filename limitations.

I thought you could have up to 32 characters in a fat32 partition, but in dos mode everything was 8 characters. Fat16 was 8 characters and that's all.

Neutrino seems to have a viable solution for you. When I use linux live cds, I can read and write to my NTFS partitions without any problems. I'm guessing they are preconfigured with ntfs-3q or some similar program.

As a quick but not too usable solution, you can zip long named files and transfer these zip files.

What is a shared partition in dual boot?

A shared partition in dual boot is a section of a computer's hard drive that is accessible to both operating systems installed on the computer. It is used to store files and data that can be accessed by both operating systems.

Why is a shared partition necessary for dual boot?

A shared partition is necessary for dual boot because it allows for easy sharing of files and data between the different operating systems. Without a shared partition, it would be difficult for the operating systems to access and share information.

How do I create a shared partition in dual boot?

To create a shared partition in dual boot, you will need to first decide on the size of the partition and then use a partitioning tool, such as Disk Management in Windows or Disk Utility in Mac, to create the partition. Make sure to format the partition as NTFS for Windows or HFS+ for Mac to ensure compatibility with both operating systems.

What files can be stored in a shared partition?

A shared partition can store any type of file, including documents, photos, videos, and music. However, it is important to note that some files, such as system files, should not be shared between operating systems as it may cause compatibility issues.

Can I access the shared partition from both operating systems at the same time?

Yes, you can access the shared partition from both operating systems at the same time. However, it is important to avoid making changes to the same file from both operating systems simultaneously as it may result in data corruption. It is best to only make changes to files on the shared partition from one operating system at a time.