Solving Viete's Relations Problem Using Inverse Trig Functions

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relations
Thank you!In summary, the problem involves finding the value of arctan u + arctan v + arctan w using Viète's formulas. By letting A, B, and C be the inverse tangent of the corresponding values, we can use a trigonometric identity to simplify the expression to tan(A+B+C) = 1. This results in the desired sum being equal to π/4.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] viete's relations problem

Homework Statement

The zeros of the polynomial P(x) = x^3 -10x+11 are u,v,and w. Determine the value of arctan u +arctan v+ arctan w.

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viète's_formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

I must admit I have no idea how to do this problem. I usually try to show some work but I have no clue how Vietes relations allow you to connect u,v,and w to the inverse trig functions. Sorry. Someone please just give me a nudge in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]P(x)=x^3 -10x+11=0[/itex]

what is u+v+w,uv+uw+vw and uvw ?

and what you want to get is [itex]tan^{-1}(u)+tan^{-1}(v)+tan^{-1}(w)[/itex]

if we let [itex]A=tan^{-1}(u);B=tan^{-1}(v);C=tan^{-1}(w)[/itex]

thus making tanA=u;tanB=v and tanC=w, are able with some trig identity to help you?

rock.freak667 said:
Let [itex]P(x)=x^3 -10x+11=0[/itex]

what is u+v+w,uv+uw+vw and uvw ?

and what you want to get is [itex]tan^{-1}(u)+tan^{-1}(v)+tan^{-1}(w)[/itex]

if we let [itex]A=tan^{-1}(u);B=tan^{-1}(v);C=tan^{-1}(w)[/itex]

thus making tanA=u;tanB=v and tanC=w, are able with some trig identity to help you?

u+v+w = 0

uv+uw+vw = -10

uvw = -11

The only relevant identity I can think of is

[tex]\tan(a\pm b) = \frac{\tan a \pm \tan b}{1\mp \tan a \tan b} [/tex]

which does not seem very useful here...

We can of course obtain that

[tex]\tan^3 A +\tan^3 B + \tan ^3 C = 33 [/tex]

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
u+v+w = 0

uv+uw+vw = -10

uvw = -11

Good.

Now onto a new part.

ehrenfest said:
The only relevant identity I can think of is

[tex]\tan(a\pm b) = \frac{\tan a \pm \tan b}{1\mp \tan a \tan b} [/tex]

which does not seem very useful here...

It is relevant but what you need to do is extend it to three things inside the brackets.

i.e. tan(A+B+C)=tan(A+(B+C))

rock.freak667 said:
Good.

Now onto a new part.

It is relevant but what you need to do is extend it to three things inside the brackets.

i.e. tan(A+B+C)=tan(A+(B+C))

Wow that worked out really really nicely.

I get tan(A+B+C) = 1 which implies that the desired sum is [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]. Thanks.

On second thought, do we know that the sum is not 5 pi/4 or -3 pi/4?

Never mind, I got it.

1. What is Viete's relations problem?

Viete's relations problem, also known as Vieta's formulas or Vieta's theorem, is a mathematical problem that involves finding the roots or solutions of a polynomial equation. It was first introduced by French mathematician Francois Vieta in the 16th century.

2. What is the significance of Viete's relations problem?

Viete's relations problem is significant because it provides a systematic way of finding the roots of a polynomial equation, which is a fundamental concept in algebra and many other branches of mathematics. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

3. How do you solve Viete's relations problem?

To solve Viete's relations problem, one needs to use Vieta's formulas, which state that the sum of the roots of a polynomial equation is equal to the negative coefficient of the term with the highest power, and the product of the roots is equal to the constant term. By setting up equations using these formulas, one can solve for the roots of the polynomial equation.

4. Can Viete's relations problem be applied to all polynomial equations?

Yes, Viete's relations problem can be applied to all polynomial equations, regardless of the degree. This includes quadratic, cubic, quartic, and higher degree polynomials.

5. Are there any limitations to Viete's relations problem?

One limitation of Viete's relations problem is that it only applies to polynomial equations with real coefficients. It cannot be used to find the roots of equations with complex coefficients. It also assumes that all roots are distinct, so it may not work for equations with repeated roots.