Sitting n married couples on a round table

• Thread starter lizzyb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of a married couple being seated next to each other at a round table with 2n people, and how to calculate this probability. It is found that the probability is 2/(2n-1) and the book's answer of 2/(2n+1) is incorrect. The conversation also discusses how to calculate the probability of a different couple being seated next to each other, given that one couple is already seated together. This probability is found to be 1/(n-1). Finally, the conversation discusses how to approximate the probability that no married couples are seated next to each other when n is large, using the Poisson distribution with parameter pn, where p is the probability of
lizzyb
Question: A total of 2n people, consisting of n married couples, are randomly seated (all possible orderings being equally likely) at a round table. Let C_i denote the event that couple i are seated next to each other, i = 1, 2, ... n.

(a) Find P(C_i).

There are two different ways to seat C_i together on a round table and the possible orderings of the rest of the couples is (2n - 2)!, hence we have:

P(C_i) = (2 * (2n - 2)!)/(2n - 1)!) = 2/(2n - 1)

The the (2n - 1)! being the total number of orderings (C_i included) on a round table. The book gives an answer of 2/(2n + 1).

What am I doing wrong?

(b) For j <> i, find P(C_j | C_i)

Instead of using the P(C_j | C_i) = P(C_j C_i) / P(C_i) formula, we may cut to the chase and say that since a couple has already been selected, we can view the round table as a straight line. So the number of ways to arrange C_j are:

i) 2 choices on which of the couple to sit
ii) Pick a place among (2n - 3) seats
iii) Place the other couple on the other side (1 choice)

2 (2n - 3)

So P(C_j | C_i) = ( 2 (2n - 3) (2n - 4)! )/ (2n - 2)! = 2 / (2n - 2)

Which is in the back of the book

(c) When n is large, approximate the probability that there are no married couples who are seated next to each other.

I imagine we're supposed to use the Poisson distribution?

Physics news on Phys.org
lizzyb said:
What am I doing wrong?
In short, you are ignoring that the table is round, and this changes things. There is a very easy way to solve this problem: What is the probability that the couple is not seated next to one another?

D H said:
In short, you are ignoring that the table is round, and this changes things. There is a very easy way to solve this problem: What is the probability that the couple is not seated next to one another?

There are 2n places for the first member of the couple, then 2n-2 places for the other member.

So P(E_i) = ( (2n)(2n - 2)(2n-2)! )/(2n-1)!??

You did not answer my question. I asked you to compute the probability that the couple are not seated next to one another. Call this probability q. The probability that the couple are seated next to one another is p=1-q.

D H said:
You did not answer my question. I asked you to compute the probability that the couple are not seated next to one another. Call this probability q. The probability that the couple are seated next to one another is p=1-q.

That's what I meant by ( (2n)(2n - 2)(2n-2)! )/(2n-1) but that's probably not right.

Since its a round table, we can say that the location of the first person placed upon it doesn't matter, but for the other member of that couple, there are 2n-2 places to put him or her (since there are two places on either side of the first seat where his/her partner is). After these two have been placed, there are still the other people, of which there are (2n-4)! possible seating arrangements. This all goes over (2n-1)! since that is the total number of possible permutations of 2n people on a round table:

q = (2n - 2)(2n - 4)!/(2n - 1)! = 1 / (2n - 1)(2n - 3)

does that look right to you?

For part (a) you did it correctly! The book is wrong :)

There are [tex](2n-1)![/tex] ways to arrange 2n people. Since the couple with index i are sitting together, you can think of them as one person thus you get [tex](2n-2)![/tex]. But, there are 2 ways to arrange couple with index i.

Thus

[tex]\boxed{P(C_{i})=\frac{2(2n-2)!}{(2n-1)!}=\frac{2}{2n-1}}[/tex]

(b) Well, you can further simplify it into [tex]\frac{1}{n-1}[/tex]

(c) Yes, you use the Poisson r.v. distribution with parameter [tex]\lambda = pn[/tex]. Now what is p? Then just find the probability that no couple are sitting together i.e. [tex]\boxed{P[X=0] = e^{-\lambda}}[/tex] by definition of Poisson

Last edited:
I took a second look, sorry.
lizzyb said:
hence we have: P(C_i) = 2/(2n - 1). The book gives an answer of 2/(2n + 1). What am I doing wrong?
You are doing nothing wrong. The book is what is wrong. The answer is 2/(2n-1) (n>1).

Consider one member of the couple in question. If the couple is not seated adjacently, both seats next to this one member of the couple must be filled someone other than the other member of the couple. These are the only two seats one need be concerned with, and the probability neither is the other member of the couple is (2n-2)/(2n-1)*(2n-3)/(2n-2)=(2n-3)/(2n-1)=1-2/(2n-1). The probability the couple *are* seated adjacently is thus 2/(2n-1).

As a sanity check, look at the case n=2. The only way a couple is not seated adjacently at a table of four is when they are seated across from one another. There are 4*2 such seatings out of a total of 24, so the probability they are seated adjacently is 16/24=2/3.

Great! Thank you for verifying part a as well as the other way of understanding it as well.

As for part (c), I suppose I'm to guess a decent value of p based on the answers of (a) and (b)?

(a) P(C_i) = 2/(2n - 1)
(b) P(C_j | C_i) = 1/(n-1) (i <> j)

And this p should be a general guesstimate of the probability that a couple sits together? Both (a) and (b) are similar to 1/n ... that gives the right answer in the back of the book but I can't say I fully understand why it works.

Thanks for your help!

[Added later]
No, 1/n makes sense but is that the right question to ask myself in answering "what value of p" - that is, "what is the general probability of a single couple sitting together"?

Last edited:
Yes, which you have already found namely [tex]P(C_{i}) [/tex]

1. What is the purpose of studying married couples sitting on a round table?

The purpose of studying married couples sitting on a round table is to understand their dynamics and interactions in a group setting, as well as the impact of physical proximity on relationships and decision making.

2. How is the seating arrangement typically organized for married couples on a round table?

The seating arrangement can vary, but it is common for the spouses to sit next to each other or across from each other. Some couples may also choose to sit next to their friends or acquaintances instead of their spouse.

3. Does the seating arrangement affect the communication between married couples on a round table?

Yes, the seating arrangement can have an impact on the communication between married couples. Research has shown that sitting next to each other can increase feelings of intimacy and cooperation, while sitting across from each other can create a more confrontational dynamic.

4. Are there any cultural or societal factors that influence the seating arrangement for married couples on a round table?

Yes, cultural and societal norms can play a role in the seating arrangement for married couples on a round table. In some cultures, it may be customary for the husband and wife to sit next to each other, while in others, they may sit separately with their respective gender groups.

5. What are the potential benefits of studying married couples sitting on a round table?

Studying married couples sitting on a round table can provide valuable insights into how relationships function in group settings, as well as shed light on the influence of physical proximity on decision making. This information can be useful in various fields such as psychology, sociology, and business management.