Girl in physics and I hate the attention :[

In summary, the physics department at a well-ranked university has an 11 to 1 ratio of men to women, which makes it difficult for a junior female student to get along casually with her fellow students. This situation is getting ridiculous, as she doesn't want to date, doesn't have time to date, and is not attracted to any of the men she tries to hang out with. She is looking for a few people she can hang out with, talk about physics, and possibly moan about classes. However, making friends is a big part of school and those friendships can pay off later on. The question herein is whether there is something wrong with either dating a nerd, or enjoying the finer things
MissSilvy
Current junior in physics at a pretty well ranked university, but our physics department has an 11 to 1 ratio of men to women. I don't feel academically intimidated or opressed or anything but I HATE that I can't ever get along casually with my fellow students. The two girls I see sometimes and myself get along fine, but every single time I try to put together a study group or just hang out in the physics lounge with a few guys, it always turns into this awkward unreciprocated attraction. Literally, without exception so far. Which leads to poor nerdy guys working up to courage to awkwardly ask me out to get a coffee sometime and me gently saying no, but by then the friendship is shot.

This is in no way to be constructed as "Haha, I'm so good looking that everyone wants me!" because just having a pair of breasts seems to do the trick, but come on now. This situation is getting ridiculous. I don't want to date, I don't have time to date, and I am not attracted to any of them. I want a few people I can hang out with, talk about physics, and possibly moan about classes. It's going to be a lonely two years if this keeps up and I'm not looking forward to that :( Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered they would be ok with not dating? What I mean is these guys that are trying to get you to go drink coffee with them might actually be ok with not dating and actually just hanging out/working on school stuff. I'm sure they will still have the desire to hook up as that is just natural for people but they can probably look past it if your lucky.

Of course guy/girl relationships are of a different nature then say a group of girls getting together. So really if you want people to talk about stuff with the internet might be a good choice.

However making friends is a big part of school and thouse friendships can pay off later on so I would suggest you not go with the "No." and end of relationship route.

Last edited:
I have considered that they may not be asking me out, but the couple times I accepted, it was quite obviously a precursor to a date. It's not just coffee, it's various things and a girl can tell, believe me. I'd be delighted just to get coffee and chat if it were just that; caffeine and conversation not "Do you want to go to dinner this weekend?"

I agree, friends are a big part of school and that's the main reason why I posted this thread. I have lots of friends in tennis, in math, in other areas but none in the thing I spend most of my day on.

Many years ago I studied in a field nontraditional for woman and in fact where I studied it I was the only woman.
I bought myself a cheap wedding ring and just acted married. :cool:

Well I was just suggesting you make it clear to the guys that you arn't going to date them and are just looking for a friendly conversation. Actually know what I take it back... I think the internet is about your only hope because I was just saying that stuff because it's like what "could" work but in all realness it won't. I'm sorry but your right having a conversation with a guy about physics when your a girl is probably impossible irl.

You should get a shirt that says "hermaphadites own" that way they will all stop talking to you.

Last edited:
So.. dinner.. coffee.. sex.. are all bad things? The question herein is whether there is something wrong with either dating a nerd, or enjoying the finer things in life. So you are suggesting that these disheveled, foul smelling nerds are not your type?

When I entered engineering school, there were 5 women in a freshman class of over 300. There was one particularly smart lady whose dorm wasn't too far from mine. I would like to have studied with her, and bounced ideas around. We had similar schedules, so we could have met and discussed the days' lectures, etc over coffee at the Union. Unfortunately, she was quite stand-offish, despite the fact that I already had a "significant other".

I know this probably doesn't help, MissSilvy, but there are probably some quiet, geeky types who would like to have discussions about your course materials without getting personally involved. I tried hooking up with some larger study groups, but that didn't work out. Too many "members" of those groups were looking for help without making contributions of their own, and that's a waste of time for people who are capable and diligent about getting the work done.

So you are suggesting that these disheveled, foul smelling nerds are not your type?

Not at all, providing they have a passing familiarity with soap and water. I just do not enjoy relationships as such. What can I say, some people are romantically inclined and some aren't and I just happen to fall into the latter category.

but there are probably some quiet, geeky types who would like to have discussions about your course materials without getting personally involved.

Good afternoon turbo! I would love to just find these types, is the main issue. Granted, I haven't been involved in the department all that much until recently, so it's more than probably that I'm missing a few gems. I don't know how else to state my problem without coming off as someone with an inflated opinion of themselves but this has been quite common and quite annoying. I guess I'll just have to look harder from now on. Or pretend I'm a lesbian. Either one! :P

I bought myself a cheap wedding ring and just acted married.

Cute idea :) I'd love to, but I look about 13 years old. The minute stature doesn't help at all, I'm afraid heh.

MissSilvy said:
Current junior in physics at a pretty well ranked university, but our physics department has an 11 to 1 ratio of men to women. I don't feel academically intimidated or opressed or anything but I HATE that I can't ever get along casually with my fellow students. The two girls I see sometimes and myself get along fine, but every single time I try to put together a study group or just hang out in the physics lounge with a few guys, it always turns into this awkward unreciprocated attraction. Literally, without exception so far. Which leads to poor nerdy guys working up to courage to awkwardly ask me out to get a coffee sometime and me gently saying no, but by then the friendship is shot.

This is in no way to be constructed as "Haha, I'm so good looking that everyone wants me!" because just having a pair of breasts seems to do the trick, but come on now. This situation is getting ridiculous. I don't want to date, I don't have time to date, and I am not attracted to any of them. I want a few people I can hang out with, talk about physics, and possibly moan about classes. It's going to be a lonely two years if this keeps up and I'm not looking forward to that :( Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I am afraid you are their wet dream: a girl who can understand what they're talking about, and doesn't look down on them merely for being geeky. Being a science geek is like living in a cage without bars, a cage that separates you from the opposite sex. You've gone into the cage and you're waving raw steaks in front of starving lions.

MissSilvy said:
just having a pair of breasts seems to do the trick

Have you considered cutting them off?

zoobyshoe said:
I am afraid you are their wet dream: a girl who can understand what they're talking about, and doesn't look down on them merely for being geeky. Being a science geek is like living in a cage without bars, a cage that separates you from the opposite sex. You've gone into the cage and you're waving raw steaks in front of starving lions.

Well Mr Shoe, I'm sure that made things all better and a real comfort there for MissSilvy.
Maybe she will make friends with someone over in Chemistry and develop a little something to tame the wild beasts. I suggest Resperadol or Haldol. It's already on the market and she can have regular coffee with the little darlings every day. While they are sitting in the library drooling and not because of her she can have her way with the cute librarian.

Borek said:
Have you considered cutting them off?

Oh, I think rather have the boys fixed.:devil:

Wow borek :/

Wow, I don't have much to add; nonetheless, following this entertainment with rapt attention. By the way, I also guess I'm not immune, because the title of this thread caught my interest :)

MissSilvy, You Go Girl. Be your own woman. Side step the boys and wait for a man if you think you want that later. Stay focused and if you have to, study alone, Do It! I had to. It's not so bad. :smile:

Ya but just remember your chances of getting a good guy go down the longer you wait. When your 45 and living in your house with 8 cats you will look back and wish you had taken one of those nerds up on a date! I'm just playing of course.

Lacy33 said:
Well Mr Shoe, I'm sure that made things all better and a real comfort there for MissSilvy.
I have no words of comfort. She just has to face and accept the facts: a girl walks into a den of lonely geeks, she's going to get attention.
Maybe she will make friends with someone over in Chemistry and develop a little something to tame the wild beasts. I suggest Resperadol or Haldol. It's already on the market and she can have regular coffee with the little darlings every day. While they are sitting in the library drooling and not because of her she can have her way with the cute librarian.
Sounds like you are projecting your own desires onto Silvy, who actually said:

I just do not enjoy relationships as such. What can I say, some people are romantically inclined and some aren't and I just happen to fall into the latter category.

Listen to the wedding ring post. It's your only hope. The geeky nerds will consider you off limits and you'll get much more normal reactions from everyone.

don't say that you're married---just say that you've got a boyfriend already, and that you have to study

It's an ok idea but then again you'll end up having to lie to every guy you meet not worth it imo. Honestly I think you should give the guys a chance but just make it clear your not willing to date.

"Physics" is her boyfriend

magpies said:
It's an ok idea but then again you'll end up having to lie to every guy you meet not worth it imo. Honestly I think you should give the guys a chance but just make it clear your not willing to date.

Yes, I heartily agree - just tell it like it is. It may mean there will be an awkward moment or two, but honesty is the best way to handle this. Use straightforward, look-in-the-eye directness.

lisab said:
Yes, I heartily agree - just tell it like it is. It may mean there will be an awkward moment or two, but honesty is the best way to handle this. Use straightforward, look-in-the-eye directness.

Its a nice thought, and if they (the male students) were older, that may work.

I doubt even if she says that she doesn't want to date, it not going to help though. Hormone driven young men and boys are driven to any free and available women, like moths to a flame.

MissSilvy said:

MissSilvy, you seem to have an unhealthy obsession with this topic or so I believe.

Honesty helps. When I started at the U of M, I would sometimes take my guitar along to fill empty moments. One day, a very attractive woman parked herself in the love-seat across from me in the Union, and made positive comments. A while later, another woman swung in and started hugging up with the first lady. They were both very attractive and very friendly. After a bit, an old friend of mine (who was flamboyantly gay) dropped in, and we talked a bit. The ladies thanked me and moved on, and my friend burst into laughter. The ladies were the president of the Wilde-Stein club and her lover, and they liked teasing straight guys.

My friend died of AIDS eventually. He was a sweet person, and through him I met tons of people who loved art, music, cooking, etc.

Relative to the OP, I never had an uncomfortable moment deflecting romantic interest from my friends' associates.

Last edited:
rewebster said:
I doubt even if she says that she doesn't want to date, it not going to help though. Hormone driven young men and boys are driven to any free and available women, like moths to a flame.

I don't see why not. I may be hormone driven but will respect the fact that a girl isn't looking for a relationship, if made clear. It's probably the case for most people, and the others she can stay away from.

I'm just going by what the OP said:

"...it always turns into this awkward unreciprocated attraction. Literally, without exception so far. Which leads to poor nerdy guys working up to courage to awkwardly ask me out to get a coffee sometime and me gently saying no, but by then the friendship is shot. "

I'v seen many a girl tell a guy she's not into them only to see the guy redouble his effort to get laid.

i hated all the kids in my major (they were all exactly the same smelly socially inept nerds) and I'm a guy! do what i did: go explore what the rest of campus is like.

undergrad discussions are pointless anyway and you shouldn't be moaning either.

That's too bad; yes, I'm sure there are those sort of people out there, but I haven't really seen any of that from the guys the OP mentioned. Sure, they ask her out, but I don't see how that's not normal. Maybe a better question is to ask why the friendship is shot after such an encounter. If those guys just point blank refuse to talk to her again (out of embarrassment, anger, whatever), then those people probably aren't the type she wants to be around anyway. Or maybe it's just the immediate post-rejection awkwardness that can be put behind with more effort. I wouldn't know. Another option is to make it clear up front that coffee doesn't mean a date before the guy asks.

EDIT: Also, I don't know where you guys go to find all these smelly people. I've met many people, some more socially awkward than I and some less, but rarely have I come across people that smell that bad. Maybe I'm just more tolerant or too sheltered?

Last edited:
i took a picture of a student in one of my classes one day to show to people who would ask what it's like to be a physics major - the kid was picking his bare feet in the middle of e&m lecture!

Off topic, but if I understand you correctly, you are saying that you have not met a single physics major as hygienic and social as you...? Tough luck if so.

Just give them a pity *&^%.

No, seriously, I'm not sure how to deal with this. I made one male friend in my Calc class that didn't act awkwardly around me.

Good luck.

Hey you sound like a cool chick. Want to go gets some coffee sometime?

MissSilvy said:
It's going to be a lonely two years if this keeps up and I'm not looking forward to that :( Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This is definitely a tricky situation, but I'll try to give you some perspective. I think very few people make friends with everyone in their department. Personally, I have very few real friends in life, and I think this is true of the majority of people. You're too young to realize this perhaps, but later you will know your real friends because they will stay friends for life. The friendship may take the form of a phone call every year, and a visit every 5 years, but the bond will stay intact. Trust me, there will only be a handful of these friends when you someday make a final reckoning.

So what practical advice can you take from this. There is 1 woman for every 11 men. So, try to make friends with 1/11 of the men (choosing the most promising from the bunch) and try to make friends with all of the women. Note that I said TRY. Then just accept whatever number of friends you end up with from this subgroup. Whether that ends up being zero of them; or all of them; or something in between, ... well, that's life. If you end up with too few friends with this method, there are other places to make friends at a University.

<h2>1. Why do you hate the attention as a girl in physics?</h2><p>As a girl in a male-dominated field, I often receive a lot of attention and scrutiny for simply being a minority. This can be overwhelming and distracting from my work and accomplishments.</p><h2>2. How do you deal with the stereotypes and biases in physics as a girl?</h2><p>I try to focus on my passion for physics and my own abilities, rather than letting stereotypes and biases affect me. I also actively challenge and educate others on these issues.</p><h2>3. Have you faced any challenges or discrimination as a girl in physics?</h2><p>Unfortunately, yes. I have faced challenges such as being overlooked for opportunities or not being taken seriously because of my gender. However, I have also had many supportive colleagues and mentors who have helped me navigate these challenges.</p><h2>4. What advice do you have for other girls interested in pursuing physics?</h2><p>Don't let anyone discourage you from pursuing your passion. Surround yourself with supportive people and seek out opportunities and resources to help you succeed. And always remember that you are just as capable and deserving as anyone else in the field.</p><h2>5. How can we promote diversity and inclusion in the field of physics?</h2><p>We can promote diversity and inclusion by actively challenging and addressing biases and stereotypes, creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all individuals, and providing equal opportunities and support for underrepresented groups.</p>

1. Why do you hate the attention as a girl in physics?

As a girl in a male-dominated field, I often receive a lot of attention and scrutiny for simply being a minority. This can be overwhelming and distracting from my work and accomplishments.

2. How do you deal with the stereotypes and biases in physics as a girl?

I try to focus on my passion for physics and my own abilities, rather than letting stereotypes and biases affect me. I also actively challenge and educate others on these issues.

3. Have you faced any challenges or discrimination as a girl in physics?

Unfortunately, yes. I have faced challenges such as being overlooked for opportunities or not being taken seriously because of my gender. However, I have also had many supportive colleagues and mentors who have helped me navigate these challenges.

4. What advice do you have for other girls interested in pursuing physics?

Don't let anyone discourage you from pursuing your passion. Surround yourself with supportive people and seek out opportunities and resources to help you succeed. And always remember that you are just as capable and deserving as anyone else in the field.

5. How can we promote diversity and inclusion in the field of physics?

We can promote diversity and inclusion by actively challenging and addressing biases and stereotypes, creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all individuals, and providing equal opportunities and support for underrepresented groups.