Researching Physics & Astronomy: Getting Into Research

• Thread starter 2much
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the individual is a recent college dropout who is currently taking night school courses in advanced functions and physics. They are interested in pursuing a career in either physics or astronomy, but are now considering particle physics. They are unsure about the job opportunities in these fields and are seeking advice. The expert suggests that research work in these fields typically requires a Ph.D. and that there are limited job opportunities. They also mention that getting into graduate school for physics can be extremely difficult and suggest focusing on gaining skills that can be applied to other job opportunities. The individual expresses a disinterest in teaching and is seeking advice on other programs to look into.
2much
So I am 20 years old and a recent college drop out. I was taking computer systems technology and decided during second year that it was not something I wanted to pursue as a career. As of right now I am taking night school courses for both advanced functions and physics at the 12U level.

I hope to get into physics, was first thinking of physics and astronomy since I have a deep interest in that field but am now considering particle physics. Now my question is how hard is it to get jobs in these two fields? Are there any other related fields I should research and consider? Is research hard to get into? Will I need a masters?

Really any personal experience/advice will help. I am jumping into these night school courses head first with no pre-requisites so I might come here for some help in the future.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Typically, research work in physics and astronomy requires a Ph.D. Even if it doesn't, you will be competing with others who have that degree.

Now, it doesn't mean that you cannot work IN an environment or in a facility that does such research work, as in a supporting, technical role. However, principle investigators that actually do the research work tend to have doctorate degrees.

Zz.

2much said:
I hope to get into physics, was first thinking of physics and astronomy since I have a deep interest in that field but am now considering particle physics. Now my question is how hard is it to get jobs in these two fields?

Depends on the type of job. For the typical student, you'd have roughly a 1 in 10 chance of getting a research professorship after getting a Ph.D. Your chances are likely to be much lower than that since you are coming in through a non-traditional route.

Something that I'd like to point out is that there are more openings for major league baseball players than research physics professors. Last year, there were 1500 rookie baseball players drafted and 250 professional football players. Each year, the US graduates roughly about 1000 physics Ph.D.'s, and there are about 200 physics professorships opening up. It gets worse. You are likely going to be in a specialized field. If you want me to I can show you the one web page that has all of the astrophysics jobs opening up.

Asking me what your chances of getting a research professorship is roughly akin to asking me what your chances are of being a major league baseball or football player. I can't say it's totally impossible, but...

Now as for as other jobs...

One thing to remember is that graduate students do research. Graduate students are basically serf researchers, and you get your Ph.d. *after* you've demonstrated that you can do research. Getting yourself to the point where you can get a competitive application to graduate school is merely extremely difficult. You *will* be a paid researcher, but you do have to realize that you will be paid below minimum wage.

Also getting yourself to the point that you can teach community college, high school, or run a teaching laboratory is much easier.

Really any personal experience/advice will help. I am jumping into these night school courses head first with no pre-requisites so I might come here for some help in the future.

My advice is to focus on things that you can get out of the courses right now. For example, if you learn calculus and basic mechanics, you can apply that right now to get a better job. To use my major league baseball analogy. If you think only about playing for the major leagues, you are going to be in for a shock if it happens to be that you can't. If you keep being a major league baseball player as a crazy dream, and then go outside to play baseball, you'll still find yourself better off than being a couch potato.

Interesting. I didn't know it would be that difficult. So if I pursue a physics degree in either astronomy or particle physics my best bet is to be a teacher eh? I definitely don't want to teach. I have some thinking to do. Any advice on programs to look into with physics/advanced functions and calculus. Since I was in computer systems already I'll look into some university related courses. I'd love to get some more input though.

As a scientist in the field of physics and astronomy, I can tell you that getting into research in these fields can be challenging, but also incredibly rewarding. First of all, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and physics, so taking advanced courses in these subjects is a good start. It is also helpful to have some programming skills, as many research projects involve data analysis and simulations.

In terms of job opportunities, there are many different paths you can take with a degree in physics or astronomy. You could work in academia, industry, or government labs, just to name a few options. However, it is important to keep in mind that these fields are highly competitive, so gaining research experience and networking with professionals in the field will greatly increase your chances of landing a job.

In terms of specific fields to consider, particle physics is a fascinating and rapidly advancing area of research, but there are also many other subfields within physics and astronomy that you may find interesting, such as astrophysics, cosmology, or materials science.

As for research opportunities, many universities offer undergraduate research programs where you can work with professors and graduate students on ongoing projects. This is a great way to gain hands-on experience and explore different areas of research. Ultimately, pursuing a master's or even a PhD will open up more opportunities for research positions, but it is not always necessary to have one in order to get a job in the field.

My personal advice would be to continue taking courses and gaining experience in physics and astronomy, while also exploring different research opportunities and networking with professionals in the field. It is also important to stay curious and passionate about the subject, as research can be challenging at times but ultimately very rewarding. Best of luck in your journey towards a career in physics and astronomy!

What is the difference between physics and astronomy?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them, while astronomy focuses on the study of celestial objects, such as planets, stars, and galaxies.

What is the importance of research in physics and astronomy?

Research plays a crucial role in expanding our understanding of the natural world and advancing technology. It allows us to make new discoveries, develop new theories, and apply this knowledge to practical applications.

How can I get involved in research in physics and astronomy?

One way to get involved in research is by pursuing a degree in physics or astronomy and participating in research projects as a student. You can also reach out to professors or researchers in the field and inquire about opportunities to assist or collaborate on projects.

What skills are necessary for research in physics and astronomy?

Some essential skills for research in physics and astronomy include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, computer programming, and communication. It is also crucial to have a strong foundation in mathematics and a curiosity for understanding the natural world.

What are some current research topics in physics and astronomy?

Some current research topics in physics and astronomy include dark matter and dark energy, gravitational waves, quantum computing, exoplanets, and the search for life in the universe. There is also ongoing research in areas such as cosmology, particle physics, and astrophysics.