Calculating Wind Turbine RPM from Generator Voltage Fluctuations

In summary, you measure the frequency of a generator and use that to calculate the machine's rotational speed.
cordines
Hello,

I am trying to build a SIMULINK model in Matlab in order to determine the RPM of a wind turbine. Can someone please tell me how I can obtain the RPM of a wind turbine from the voltage fluctuations of a generator?

Any good sites in the subject are also welcome. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is it a DC generator, or AC?

It's a permanent magnet electrical generator, having a power output of 1.8 kW.

Generator is AC.

Are you familiar with electric generators/motors? Equivalent circuit? d-q axis? Electromagnetic's?

And do you have the specs. on the generator? Impedances? Is it converter feed, or direct driven? Where do you measure voltage?

cordines said:
Generator is AC.
So the faster it spins, the higher the output frequency?

No, I'm not that familiar with electric generators. However we did do the equivalent circuits of the generators/motors in my first year in mechanical engineering albeit it being a tiny bit. With regards to the others, I'm not that familiar.

Yes, since the frequency is directly proportional to the rotational speed.

cordines said:
Yes, since the frequency is directly proportional to the rotational speed.
So that answers your question? You measure the frequency, and that tells you the machine's rotational speed. You do first need to establish the proportionality constant, k, because

http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon2.gif RPM = k · frequency

It may be possible to determine the number of electrical cycles per revolution by connecting a voltmeter to the generator and rotating the shaft by hand, counting how many times the voltage peaks (in positive polarity). Or else by examining the manufacturer's info on the generator.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be something as simple as saying if it's a 2 pole generator then you'll get 1 cycle of AC for a full rotation of the shaft; if it's a 4 pole generator then you'll get 2 cycles of AC for one rotation of the shaft, etc.

Do you have a link to your particular model on its manufacturer's web site?

The problem is, how can I do that by Simulink?

DC generators will produce pulsating DC equal to the rotational speed times the number of poles. If the generator were connected as a DC generator but instead of using a constant field current, the field were connected to the AC line, the output would be the pulsating DC modulated by the line frequency. The output will be an irregular sine wave which, regardless of how fast the generator was turning would have an output at the line frequency. This seems like a much simpler method of regulating and synchronizing the output frequency of myriads of wind turbines than somehow regulating their rotational speed and phase. Assuming this is what is happening, determining the RPM could be done with an FFT of the output and looking at the frequency of the second highest peak frequency and dividing by the number of poles.

Are you asking how to calculate the fundamental frequency of one of the phase voltage waveforms in Simulink?

If so, a common way to go about it is to determine the time between zero crossings of the phase voltage in order to calculate its period. You'd probably need to add a little hysteresis so you don't get a bunch of hits at the zero crossing due to "noise" and whatnot. Feeding the waveform through a lowpass filter beforehand will help you decrease the hysteresis band.

I guess there might be a "FFT block" in your Simulink toolkit aswell, so that's probably also an option.

You'd need to know the number of pole pairs though, as NascentOxygen pointed out, to link mechanical to electrical frequency.

Thanks milesyoung. I will try to implement that in Simulink, don't know if I will succeed since I'm new to this. I will get back to you. Thanks again!

1. How do I calculate the RPM of a wind turbine from generator voltage fluctuations?

To calculate the RPM of a wind turbine from generator voltage fluctuations, you will need to first measure the frequency of the voltage fluctuations using an oscilloscope. Then, you can use the following formula: RPM = (2 * frequency * 60) / number of poles. The number of poles can be found in the manufacturer's specifications for the turbine.

2. Why is it important to calculate the RPM of a wind turbine?

Calculating the RPM of a wind turbine is important for a few reasons. First, it can help you determine the efficiency of the turbine and identify any potential issues. Additionally, knowing the RPM can also help with maintenance and troubleshooting. Finally, it can be useful for comparing different types of turbines or tracking the performance of a single turbine over time.

3. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating RPM from voltage fluctuations?

There are a few factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating RPM from voltage fluctuations. These include variations in wind speed, changes in the load on the turbine, and any electrical noise or interference in the system. It is important to take these factors into account and try to minimize their impact for the most accurate results.

4. Can I use a device other than an oscilloscope to measure the frequency of voltage fluctuations?

While an oscilloscope is the most accurate and precise tool for measuring frequency, it is possible to use other devices such as a multimeter or frequency counter. However, these may not provide as accurate results and should be used with caution.

5. How often should I calculate the RPM of my wind turbine?

The frequency of calculating the RPM of a wind turbine will depend on various factors, such as the size and type of turbine, the environment it is operating in, and the specific goals of the analysis. In general, it is recommended to calculate the RPM at regular intervals (e.g. monthly or quarterly) to track performance and identify any changes or issues. It may also be necessary to calculate the RPM more frequently if there are noticeable changes in performance or if maintenance is being performed on the turbine.