Register to reply

Truth table to boolean expression

by Bipolarity
Tags: boolean, expression, table, truth
Share this thread:
Bipolarity
Apr20-13, 10:10 PM
P: 783
I have a 9 input to 9 output truth table I constructed using Python. I am trying to find a program that can deduce the (hopefully minimized) Boolean expression for my outputs. I tried Logisim already, but when I try to paste the enormous data (512 rows), my Logisim crashes. Can anyone recommend me a program that generates minimized Boolean expressions from huge truth tables with its own paste feature (so I can paste the truth table from a clipboard)? It should have don't care states also.

Thanks!

BiP
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers use 3D printers to create custom medical implants
For secure software: X-rays instead of passport control
Razor-sharp TV pictures
jambaugh
Apr21-13, 07:25 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,776
The general method (which I've only done by hand for 3 or so inputs) involves using Karnaugh maps so you can start by searching "Karnaugh reduction software" or something similar. Note that this is a classic problem in logical circuit design (creating logic gates with minimal number of components on a IC chip) and so you will find a great deal of info out there.

.... a quick look on wikipedia got this:
Espresso heuristic logic minimizer
Bipolarity
Apr21-13, 10:21 AM
P: 783
Thanks.
I am aware of K-maps and the Quine-McCluskey minimization algorithm. It's just that I don't have the time to draw out a 9-bit K-map. I have the truth table at hand, just need a program (can be proprietary) that can do the Boolean work for me.

BiP

jambaugh
Apr21-13, 11:00 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,776
Truth table to boolean expression

The wikipedia page on the subject points to a Python implementation of the Quine McCluskey algorithm, it might be ideal given you started in python generating your table.

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/qm/0.2

Register to reply