Is it possible to design this?

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary: The eigenvalue decomposition you mentioned does not help in this case. In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of designing a matrix P that satisfies the equation P^TQP=Q^T, where all matrices are N-by-N. The participants suggest testing simple cases and looking for counterexamples. It is mentioned that in general, this is not possible, and even when Q is Hermitian, there does not exist a matrix P that satisfies the equation. The conversation also mentions the use of eigenvalue decomposition, but it is concluded that it does not help in this case.
EngWiPy
Hello,

I wish to design the matrix P such that it satisfies the following:

[tex]P^TQP=Q^T[/tex]

where all matrices are N-by-N. Is it possible?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For all Q?
Did you try some simple cases, e.g. Q=[[0,1],[0,0]]?

I doubt this is possible in general, so searching for counterexamples looks like a good idea.

Edit: And that is a good idea for a counterexample if you combine it with another matrix.

Last edited:
mfb said:
For all Q?
Did you try some simple cases, e.g. Q=[[0,1],[0,0]]?

I doubt this is possible in general, so searching for counterexamples looks like a good idea.

Edit: And that is a good idea for a counterexample if you combine it with another matrix.

Actually, yes I wanted it in general, but if there are some special cases of Q I would like to know what are they, if possible. I know for example if Q is circulant, then any permutation matrix will satisfies the above equality. Unfortunately, in my case Q is not circulant!

Thanks

S_David said:
Actually, yes I wanted it in general
P=[[a,c][b,d]] and Q=[[0,1],[0,0]] lead to the conditions a=d=0 and bc=1, and this leads to a contradiction if you try to apply this to Q=[[1,0],[0,0]].
So in general, this is not possible.

mfb said:
P=[[a,c][b,d]] and Q=[[0,1],[0,0]] lead to the conditions a=d=0 and bc=1, and this leads to a contradiction if you try to apply this to Q=[[1,0],[0,0]].
So in general, this is not possible.

OK, what if the matrix is Hermitian?

Did you test some simple cases, as I suggested?
I would not expect that being Hermitian helps, but I don't know.

mfb said:
Did you test some simple cases, as I suggested?
I would not expect that being Hermitian helps, but I don't know.

After trying, I don't think it helps neither.

The right hand side is a linear operation on the space of nxn matrices (which is a vector space of dimension n2), and the left hand side is a linear operation on the space of nxn matrices picked from a vector space of dimension n2. But the set of all linear transformations on the space of nxn matrices has dimension (n2)2 = n4. So in general most linear transformations on a set of matrices cannot be represented as conjugation by a matrix like the left hand side of your equation.

This doesn't answer the specific question of whether transposing is a special case, but it does heavily suggest that there will not exist such a matrix P, and as mfb said you should look for counterexamples in small dimensions.

There is a general disproof I believe that works for when Q is Hermitian. Plugging in Q the identity matrix we get that Pt = P-1. Plugging in Q an arbitrary real symmetric matrix, we want to find P that commutes with every Q which is symmetric. Checking Q an arbitrary elementary symmetric matrix (has only a 1 in the (i,j) and (j,i) spots and 0 everywhere else) we find P has to be a scalar multiple of the identity matrix, which because its transpose is its inverse means it has to be the identity matrix or negative the identity matrix. Checking Q basically any non real Hermitian matrix shows that neither of those work.

If testing simple cases didn't help, then you should show us what cases you tested and we can show you where you went wrong in missing the counterexample

Do you mean it is possible for Hermitian matrices? I tried a matrix [a b; conj(b) a] which is Hermitian and P is a real matrix. But I was wondering since for a Hermitian matrix we have the following eigenvalue decomposition:

[tex]\mathbf{Q}=\mathbf{U}\Sigma\mathbf{U}^H[/tex]

where the eigenvalues are real, which implies that:

[tex]\mathbf{U}^H\mathbf{Q}\mathbf{U}=\Sigma=\Sigma^T=\mathbf{U}^T\mathbf{Q}^T\mathbf{U}^*[/tex]

if we can use that in a way.

S_David said:
Do you mean it is possible for Hermitian matrices?

No, I gave a proof that it isn't possible for Hermitian matrices

Likes 1 person

1. Is it possible to design something that can travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object to travel faster than the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. Can we design a machine that can create unlimited energy?

Unfortunately, the law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. Therefore, it is not possible to create a machine that can produce unlimited energy.

3. Is it possible to design a computer that can think and feel like a human?

While advancements in artificial intelligence have allowed computers to mimic human behavior and thought processes to some extent, it is still not possible for a computer to truly think and feel like a human. The complexity of human emotions and consciousness is difficult to replicate in machines.

4. Can we design a cure for all diseases?

While medical research and technology have made great strides in finding treatments for various diseases, it is unlikely that a single cure for all diseases will ever be discovered. Each disease is caused by different factors and may require different treatments.

5. Is it possible to design a machine that can time travel?

The concept of time travel is still a subject of science fiction and has not been proven possible by scientific theories. While there are theories that suggest the possibility of time travel, it is currently not something that can be designed or achieved with our current technology.